Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
How many mentions of Elden Ring are in the video though? It's mostly discussing traditional souls-- that which Elden Ring is not.

AFAIK no comparison was made to the direction Elden Ring has gone in. Two fucking retards over here. Get that DickRickle guy to complete the hat trick.

Elden Ring is a traditional souls game and where From is at in their evolution of the genre. If your point of the video is Lies of P is a "soulskiller" of "Dark Souls 1" from 12 years ago then that's a really weird thing to say and debatable if even that's true.

So I stick by you being retarded

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Who's P and why is he lying about From Software?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Elden Ring is a traditional souls game and where From is at in their evolution of the genre. If your point of the video is Lies of P is a "soulskiller" of "Dark Souls 1" from 12 years ago then that's a really weird thing to say and debatable if even that's true.

So I stick by you being retarded

Elden Ring went with spammy movesets that haven't been seen before in any other iteration of the genre.

It's a common criticism Elden Ring gets. The RNG-like spam from boss encounters just isn't as traditional as you make it out to be. Most people don't see it as evolution, but degeneration, either for casuals-- or to make it harder for "souls experts" to beat the game via RNG spammy combat.

• 1Picard
  • 1Midwit

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Elden Ring went with spammy movesets that haven't been seen before in any other iteration of the genre.

It's a common criticism Elden Ring gets. The RNG spam just isn't as traditional as you make it out to be. Most people don't see it as evolution, but degeneration, either for casuals-- or to make it harder for "souls experts" to beat the game via RNG spammy combat.

Oh, that makes sense. Lies of P is better than Elden Ring because it's super easy and "traditional" souls games are all about easy and casual friendly. The fact that there have been a lot of no hit runs posted just proves it's all RNG based!

Boy am I embarrassed for calling you retarded

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's actually the Elden Ring dodge system that this particular critic considered inferior to the dodge system in Lies of P.

P forces a combination of dodge and block, you are generally forced to learn both, whereas Ring has a tendency to be one of the two used exclusively.

The argument can't just be reduced to "P has a sick blocking system and makes you do both so it's better" though.

• 1Picard
  • 1Faggotry

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's actually the Elden Ring dodge system that this particular critic considered inferior to the dodge system in Lies of P.

P forces a combination of dodge and block, you are generally forced to learn both, whereas Ring has a tendency to be one of the two used exclusively.

The argument can't just be reduced to "P has a sick blocking system and makes you do both so it's better" though.
The only players who go through Elden Ring exclusively blocking (or even close to it) as defense are people doing meme builds. The fact that you think ER is RNG dependent makes me think you did not git gud enough, old man. Yes, you don't have time to have a snack and shit in between boss moves.

The real problem with your entire argument is using a dumbass phrase like"soulskiller". There's no nuance there. It's utter hyperbole. Do some people like the LoP mechanics more? Sure. Then again a lot of people liked the direction ER went (though some didn't). That's far from killing and replacing the leader of the genre.

Elden ring has been out for close to two years and it still has 20 times more active players than LoP. It sold 20x more copies. Is that what death looks like?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The idea that forcing you to play a specific way is better than giving you more options is a weird one, but I doubt whoever made the video truly believes LoP is better and is just baiting clicks.

I've played through LoP multiple times and it's a great game, but it's just not on the same scale or level as Elden Ring and I don't think it was even trying to be.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
The only players who go through Elden Ring exclusively blocking (or even close to it) as defense are people doing meme builds. The fact that you think ER is RNG dependent makes me think you did not git gud enough, old man. Yes, you don't have time to have a snack and shit in between boss moves.

The real problem with your entire argument is using a dumbass phrase like"soulskiller". There's no nuance there. It's utter hyperbole. Do some people like the LoP mechanics more? Sure. Then again a lot of people liked the direction ER went (though some didn't). That's far from killing and replacing the leader of the genre.

Elden ring has been out for close to two years and it still has 20 times more active players than LoP. It sold 20x more copies. Is that what death looks like?
Yep. The only people who say combat in ER sucks are people who were bad at it and never got good enough to understand what the game was all about.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
LMAO Lies of P is a fine game, but would easily be the bottom 2 "souls" games FROM has ever released. For a small studio, it's great. I'd be pissed if that was a FROM game.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
LMAO Lies of P is a fine game, but would easily be the bottom 2 "souls" games FROM has ever released. For a small studio, it's great. I'd be pissed if that was a FROM game.

The guy makes some good points in his video, but he seems to genuinely think LoP is better than all of From's games, and his own rankings for From games are a bit suspect.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Lies of P is a great game with fantastic atmosphere. It’s more forgiving for a lot of various reasons. But in no way, shape, or form is it better than Elden Ring. The open world building in Elden Ring and spoon fed story tidbits, even though the linear world of lies of P is awesome, is inferior.

We literally have millions of gamers who go through a gaming funk after finishing their time with Elden Ring. Like a pandemic of “I think I just experienced the best game I will ever likely play in my lifetime” type funk. Chasing the high here leads in disappointment to even get close. Although we will have fun with other games, at least for me, this one has literally toppled over everything else I have ever played.

• 8Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

It's a common criticism Elden Ring gets. The RNG-like spam from boss encounters just isn't as traditional as you make it out to be. Most people don't see it as evolution, but degeneration, either for casuals-- or to make it harder for "souls experts" to beat the game via RNG spammy combat.
Get gud.

• 3Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, for a total first timer, a class might not be a bad idea because of some starting gear and spells.

Samurai is pretty good, and the only thing I'd choose besides Wretch (though I could see someone making a case for Astrologer to be a "real caster" right away)

Samurai starts with an Uchi, meaning it's the only class that can dual wield and powerstance Uchis. The one Uchi in the actual game isn't too far from the beginning either. Having two of those is a big advantage, plus the bow, and the cool armor that would take a while to get otherwise.

• 3Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Samurai is pretty good, and the only thing I'd choose besides Wretch (though I could see someone making a case for Astrologer to be a "real caster" right away)

Samurai starts with an Uchi, meaning it's the only class that can dual wield and powerstance Uchis. The one Uchi in the actual game isn't too far from the beginning either. Having two of those is a big advantage, plus the bow, and the cool armor that would take a while to get otherwise.
Yep. I followed your advice and started again with Samurai. I ended up playing through the game twice and now my character is basically unkillable.

• 2Like

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, kind of late to this but I finally picked up Elden Ring since its on sale on Steam. Have never played a Soulslike game before, but I've been watching some streams and I'm itching to dive into another RPG after playing BG3.

I was just wondering what controller is recommended to use when playing PC? I'm pretty sure mouse and keyboard would be much more difficult versus controller, so i figure its worth picking one up rather than beating my head against the wall due to controls on top of the game play also.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
So, kind of late to this but I finally picked up Elden Ring since its on sale on Steam. Have never played a Soulslike game before, but I've been watching some streams and I'm itching to dive into another RPG after playing BG3.

I was just wondering what controller is recommended to use when playing PC? I'm pretty sure mouse and keyboard would be much more difficult versus controller, so i figure its worth picking one up rather than beating my head against the wall due to controls on top of the game play also.
Whatever one you're comfortable with? I mean, millions have played it with Xbox or ps controllers so I think anything that isn't cheap Chinese shit will do.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Tuco Tuco has some great advice on controllers for Elden Ring.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users