Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I can’t relate - I’ve got hundreds of hours in this across both ps5 and pc and once I reach the mountains I find myself start slow playing the shit out of this exploring every side dungeon, etc because I don’t want to get off the ride.

usually this makes me op as shit for the final stretch which is kind of a crappy side effect but like cp2077, I feel depressed after a run because gaming sucks dick at the minute

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every time I play the game I end up finding some random area I've missed on the hundreds of hours I'd played through already.

Can't remember how far in I was before I found the flicking finger weapon or the pot village or that giant turbo-charged golem NE of Fort Faroth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Hmm, found a tower guarded by some rando soldiers and a rider. Swatted them. Up the ladders, found a chest. SWOOOSH Capital city wtfbbq!?!? At the top of a lift of sorts, holy moly it's a view, lever wont activate. Is that a dragon??? Walky-walky, ah sweet a rest spot. Alright, let's go explore. Hello resting statue DAFUQ IT STANDS UP AND LAZOR EYES, you died. Okay, sneaky time, chest with a regen medallion, sweet. SPLAT the statue giant is awake again. Hmm, there has to be a another way into this marvelous place.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm, found a tower guarded by some rando soldiers and a rider. Swatted them. Up the ladders, found a chest. SWOOOSH Capital city wtfbbq!?!? At the top of a lift of sorts, holy moly it's a view, lever wont activate. Is that a dragon??? Walky-walky, ah sweet a rest spot. Alright, let's go explore. Hello resting statue DAFUQ IT STANDS UP AND LAZOR EYES, you died. Okay, sneaky time, chest with a regen medallion, sweet. SPLAT the statue giant is awake again. Hmm, there has to be a another way into this marvelous place.

When you gain access to Leyndell you can activate the lift from the bottom. Otherwise, the teleporter traps disable your ability to jump out when you find yourself in a nasty location until you find a Site of Grace. Which is fortunate as there's one right near where you port in.

Also, opposite where you stole the amulet there's a portal but it may not be active depending on where you are in the game.

You can sometimes glitch kill the golem though. Just force him to fight near the area where the amulet chest is and keep forcing him to pivot around. You time it just right he can fall off the platform and die.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Few hours after useage you are fine and perfectly functional There is no hangover.

You will be more relaxed for a while after the trip, just like after a good lay.

In Europe you can just order the designer drug version online, it is dirt cheap and you buy it from a registered company.

Don't do it unless you are in good mental health.

Repeated useage will wreck you so stick to once every 6 months.

That sounds pretty good. Europe has all the good stuff readily available but I don't live there and customs are a thing, so...

Feeling rough physically this year in particular (turning 40 is even more of a bitch when you spent your 20's and some of your 30's beating yourself up) so I've been hitting the kratom lately, it's definitely helpful (for killing withdrawal symptoms from pharma stuff and also for painkilling itself). Even that has some possible downsides, like if you take too much of it you can have withdrawals from that, like having a super-annoying flu-like feeling for X amount of time. And I'm pretty sure the government wants to ban it so it might poof at any time. Which would suck for anyone using it to treat withdrawals from pharmaceutical shit. It could keep people off of heroin and things like that, but who gives a fuck let's ban it.

They gave it to my wife when she hurt her back and my MIL when she broke her collarbone in a car accident. In the US the FDA have clamped down so hard on opioids cancer patients and chronic pain sufferers are killing themselves because they can't get relief. Ketamine is one of the alternatives they are using in their place but there isn't nearly enough/as much study on the long term effects as of yet.

Super excited about Shadow of the Erdtree, its the only thing I really have on my radar for next year at this point.

Perhaps I should head to the Rustled thread but it really grinds my jimmies the way the FDA keep cracking down on all this stuff. People with basic injuries like me have to jump through hella hoops to get any kind of help. Most of the "opioid deaths" (like 90% I think) are from fentanyl leaking in over the southern border, and these government assholes fight back against this by... cracking down on all these lesser things that actually help people, while leaving the border open.

What the FUCK

Wait till you get to the capital, that's the zone that really blew me away. Showed it to the wife, and even she said good God that's amazing, and she doesn't play games other than Tetris.

Yeah the capitol is the thing that blows everyone away. I love that zone so much. Though my favorite zone is Mountaintop because I've had a thing for snow levels since Donkey Kong Country on the SNES.

I did a second and was blown away how much stuff I missed the first playthrough. I will do another some time, I’m sure I still missed things.

I'd be kind of surprised if I missed anything at all in the game at this point after like 250 hours.

That said, last time I played, I found two new dungeons under the bridge that leads into Leyndell's side entrance. Crypts of old lords. HOW AM I STILL FINDING THINGS?

Damn it stop already! You're going to make me reinstall and do another run.

I'm getting to that point myself, probably gonna do it after I wrap up Sekiro, whenever that is.

Thinking that for Shadow of the Erdtree we're gonna need a strong NG character to fare the best. My character is super powerful, but also in NG++, which means SOTE is probably gonna be cranked way up on difficulty. Rather take it on with an NG file.

Think for the next run I'll try doing a "low level game" of sorts and just play the game normally with zero grinding. I did a level 1 playthrough of Dark Souls 1 last year and I managed to beat Margit with a starting level samurai while showing a friend how not-hard Elden Ring actually is compared to what the journos portray it as. So I think a "no grinding" run of ER is doable and would probably be a lot of fun. In the past I'd just grind my way out of tough spots instead of being forced to get good. This would also get me ready to get the most out of SOTE. Just wish we had a release date so I could plan on this.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That sounds pretty good. Europe has all the good stuff readily available but I don't live there and customs are a thing, so...

Feeling rough physically this year in particular (turning 40 is even more of a bitch when you spent your 20's and some of your 30's beating yourself up) so I've been hitting the kratom lately, it's definitely helpful (for killing withdrawal symptoms from pharma stuff and also for painkilling itself). Even that has some possible downsides, like if you take too much of it you can have withdrawals from that, like having a super-annoying flu-like feeling for X amount of time. And I'm pretty sure the government wants to ban it so it might poof at any time. Which would suck for anyone using it to treat withdrawals from pharmaceutical shit. It could keep people off of heroin and things like that, but who gives a fuck let's ban it.

Perhaps I should head to the Rustled thread but it really grinds my jimmies the way the FDA keep cracking down on all this stuff. People with basic injuries like me have to jump through hella hoops to get any kind of help. Most of the "opioid deaths" (like 90% I think) are from fentanyl leaking in over the southern border, and these government assholes fight back against this by... cracking down on all these lesser things that actually help people, while leaving the border open.

What the FUCK

Yeah the capitol is the thing that blows everyone away. I love that zone so much. Though my favorite zone is Mountaintop because I've had a thing for snow levels since Donkey Kong Country on the SNES.

I'd be kind of surprised if I missed anything at all in the game at this point after like 250 hours.

That said, last time I played, I found two new dungeons under the bridge that leads into Leyndell's side entrance. Crypts of old lords. HOW AM I STILL FINDING THINGS?

I'm getting to that point myself, probably gonna do it after I wrap up Sekiro, whenever that is.

Thinking that for Shadow of the Erdtree we're gonna need a strong NG character to fare the best. My character is super powerful, but also in NG++, which means SOTE is probably gonna be cranked way up on difficulty. Rather take it on with an NG file.

Think for the next run I'll try doing a "low level game" of sorts and just play the game normally with zero grinding. I did a level 1 playthrough of Dark Souls 1 last year and I managed to beat Margit with a starting level samurai while showing a friend how not-hard Elden Ring actually is compared to what the journos portray it as. So I think a "no grinding" run of ER is doable and would probably be a lot of fun. In the past I'd just grind my way out of tough spots instead of being forced to get good. This would also get me ready to get the most out of SOTE. Just wish we had a release date so I could plan on this.
I got almost to the end of Sekiro, like 90% and it got so damn confusing where I was and needed to go next. Website spoilers didn't help and I just stopped playing.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I got almost to the end of Sekiro, like 90% and it got so damn confusing where I was and needed to go next. Website spoilers didn't help and I just stopped playing.

Its a fair point, the story path does get very obscure, I found it annoying as well. Ended up just following a walkthrough since I was going to plat the game anyway. Only FromSoft game I’ve used a walkthrough on prior to beating it once.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Its a fair point, the story path does get very obscure, I found it annoying as well. Ended up just following a walkthrough since I was going to plat the game anyway. Only FromSoft game I’ve used a walkthrough on prior to beating it once.
I did that as well but still couldn't figure out wtf. Maybe the walkthrough sucked, maybe I am just dense. I enjoyed the game a lot! That's why I went to spoilers but wow I could not figure out which was was up.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I did that as well but still couldn't figure out wtf. Maybe the walkthrough sucked, maybe I am just dense. I enjoyed the game a lot! That's why I went to spoilers but wow I could not figure out which was was up.

Yeah that’s a shame cause the final boss is fantastic

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The only players who go through Elden Ring exclusively blocking (or even close to it) as defense are people doing meme builds. The fact that you think ER is RNG dependent makes me think you did not git gud enough, old man. Yes, you don't have time to have a snack and shit in between boss moves.

The real problem with your entire argument is using a dumbass phrase like"soulskiller". There's no nuance there. It's utter hyperbole. Do some people like the LoP mechanics more? Sure. Then again a lot of people liked the direction ER went (though some didn't). That's far from killing and replacing the leader of the genre.

Elden ring has been out for close to two years and it still has 20 times more active players than LoP. It sold 20x more copies. Is that what death looks like?
Blocking is actually super good in Elden Ring. I did one play through with a shield blocking and a Ripple Blade for my weapon. If you block at the right time you get bonus damage on next swing and poise break. Was surprisingly fun.

That being said that was only like 1 of 6 play throughs.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah my greatshield run was probably the easiest playthrough I had. Super comfy going through those bullshit imp dungeons and such. Only hard counter is malenia really; Malekith was a joke in comparison to the first time I killed him heh.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
You guys are forgetting the original comments that led to mine. Jayrebb was acting like you were forced into either dodging or blocking exclusively. I seriously doubt you guys did your shield runs without any dodging or rolling and literally blocked everything. If you really did then I would think you were over leveled or had a well planned out build that exhibited an extent of game knowledge.

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You guys are forgetting the original comments that led to mine. Jayrebb was acting like you were forced into either dodging or blocking exclusively. I seriously doubt you guys did your shield runs without any dodging or rolling and literally blocked everything. If you really did then I would think you were over leveled or had a well planned out build that exhibited an extent of game knowledge.

Yeah but do you have to use any hard skips with a block build?

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, you can't 100% block until you get an obscene block build with fingerprint shield and all the shield talismans. And even then, they've nerfed it since then so not even sure now. Prenerf I 100% blocked and spear poked Malenia even with her heal on hit even when blocked bullshit.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah but do you have to use any hard skips with a block build?
I shield guard counter into a hard skip for instant kills on every boss. I tried to dodge once but couldn't because the game forced me into the shield path exclusively.

• 2Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I haven't had that issue at all, I just make note of what paths I haven't been to yet or where there's a boss I haven't beaten and make sure I cover everything. Course I'm also only like... 30 or 40% of the way through the game so there's plenty of time to get completely confused.

If all else fails, try soft skips

• 2Worf

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I haven't had that issue at all, I just make note of what paths I haven't been to yet or where there's a boss I haven't beaten and make sure I cover everything. Course I'm also only like... 30 or 40% of the way through the game so there's plenty of time to get completely confused.

If all else fails, try soft skips
THAT'S what I'm doing wrong, I totally forgot about the hard and soft skips.

• 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Somehow never had the problem of not knowing where to go with Sekiro, and I finished the whole thing while refusing to unlearn all my souls habits.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

It was about the fact you can't just dodge through P, and a given that you can play Ring without block.

You twisted it just to be argumentative. I doubt you played both games and are just going off what's being written here. At least Ambiturner Ambiturner knew what he was talking about.