Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Somehow never had the problem of not knowing where to go with Sekiro, and I finished the whole thing while refusing to unlearn all my souls habits.
Are you able to do it with out being forced into certain moves or play styles? Seemed like it was going to force me into a play style and I said nah and quit.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Are you able to do it with out being forced into certain moves or play styles? Seemed like it was going to force me into a play style and I said nah and quit.

Sekiro is constant aggression + parry. If you stop attacking, their parry/stagger bar goes down. Other than trash mob enemies who die in a few hits, everything falls into that play style. Sure there are enemies that get extra damage to their stagger bar using a certain arm skill, and some you can sneak up on to get an instant backstab for one life off, but it's basically parry, parry, parry, attack, attack, parry, parry, attack, parry, parry, parryparryparry, attack "STAB", repeat. Maybe add in a dodge or jump spear parry.

It's very responsive. The parry mechanic is on point. Mess up and it "feels" like it was your fault. Doesn't feel like cheap deaths so to speak. It's undoubtedly a good/great game for those who like it. But like you, I could never get into it. You have one weapon and that's it. Added arm abilites only add to your attack reportoaire that you can perhaps weave in between parrys. If you don't enjoy the combat mechanic you encounter from the first enemy with two dots to represent a dual health bar 20 minutes into the game, it never really changes.

Unless the second half of the game completely changes that (think I got that far), but I've seen full runs of it, and I doesn't look like it.

I see a lot of streamers redo various souls games saying "this time I'm going full X stat and use Y weapon/magic". Done that myself. Can't do that for Sekiro. You finish it, and the next run will be same as the old.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Mentioned this in the anime thread. I'm not any kind of anime guy and I've watched all of five of them in my life, but even so I'm finding Berserk to be a really good show. Fromsoft fans will get a lot out of it, I think, given the massive amount of stuff that From's "big seven" games got from it. Every episode has something that I'm pointing at and going "whoa, I know that from..."

So yeah, I recommend the show, might be a good thing to watch while waiting for From to put something new out. The entire show is available on Youtube, 9 hours or so long. Then there's another show they put out recently that takes place later, can't speak for that yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mentioned this in the anime thread. I'm not any kind of anime guy and I've watched all of five of them in my life, but even so I'm finding Berserk to be a really good show. Fromsoft fans will get a lot out of it, I think, given the massive amount of stuff that From's "big seven" games got from it. Every episode has something that I'm pointing at and going "whoa, I know that from..."

So yeah, I recommend the show, might be a good thing to watch while waiting for From to put something new out. The entire show is available on Youtube, 9 hours or so long. Then there's another show they put out recently that takes place later, can't speak for that yet.

How dare you link the dubbed version you heathen

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Was able to hit and run a lot of the tougher bosses. I'm sure it would have been easier to just break down and play like its intended, but fuck that.

Demon Of Hatred was a son of a bitch playing it that way, though

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Berserk is actually the only manga I’ve ever read because I’ve wanted to know how this progressed after watching the original series in the 90s, then the newer releases as they came out. It gets so fucking weird, it’s awesome. It has influenced so much shit over the past three decades.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Berserk is actually the only manga I’ve ever read because I’ve wanted to know how this progressed after watching the original series in the 90s, then the newer releases as they came out. It gets so fucking weird, it’s awesome. It has influenced so much shit over the past three decades.

I remember when I watched it seeing a ton of influence KD:M picked up.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I remember when I watched it seeing a ton of influence KD:M picked up.
100%. The whole setting of the plain of faces is directly ripped from the Sacrifice ritual. They even have a Guts model.

IMG_2699.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I got almost to the end of Sekiro, like 90% and it got so damn confusing where I was and needed to go next. Website spoilers didn't help and I just stopped playing.
Been a while but it is all the way near the start just after horse boss there is spots to go swimming… to take one specific turn and end up finding another merchant. Area is so worth it. The huge Carp or whatever chasing you…the lightning fucker keeping you out the water. If you already past that then not sure what you missed.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was able to hit and run a lot of the tougher bosses. I'm sure it would have been easier to just break down and play like its intended, but fuck that.

Demon Of Hatred was a son of a bitch playing it that way, though

I thought Demon of Hatred was the "Souls-like boss", the one place where you could play it like a Souls game and have it actually go well.

I started out Sekiro doing hit and run, but it became way too tedious way too fast, so I just learned 2 play and it went fine. Genichiro is a really good fight for learning 2 play, so is Lady Butterfly (which is optional I think). So it isn't super tough to get through the first half (third?) of the game to Genichiro, then use that fight and Lady Butterfly to learn how to actually play the thing, which is necessary for the rest.

Yeah I think Berserk might end up being the first manga I've ever read too. Since the show only covers like...a fraction of the overall story (and then the 2017 show covers another later fraction of the overall story). I'd rather watch things than read things, but in this case there's actually a good reason to read it.

How dare you link the dubbed version you heathen

If you've got a better version plx link it. The dub voices are pretty bad. I think the complete videos on Youtube are all dubbed, then there's the 2017 version which is a totally different saga than the 1997 version and there's a bunch of that on there... IDK.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Had a crazy thought. Well, as a kid I used to always try to link different games to each other, even across companies. The thing with Mario RPG having an "FF4 boss" (that turned out to have nothing to do with FF4) got me looking at a whole bunch of things and figuring out their connections.

Well, it occurred to me the other day that there really isn't anything in the way of Fromsoft's big seven all taking place in the same world. Yeah, we don't see the Erdtree in any of the others, but if there were a world tree in Scandinavia or something, we wouldn't be able to see it from the rest of the world either. Sekiro is actually a perfect representation of the "Land of Reeds" that gets mentioned in Elden Ring. I figured the LOR would end up being ER's DLC or sequel or something but what if it's just Sekiro's land and we already saw it?

Demon Souls / Boletaria could easily be in ER's world. Maybe the Dark trilogy is later in time, showing the deterioration of the world down to where even fire/light just ceases to exist.

Bloodborne might be a prequel. Like pre-collapse, civilization had evolved to a Victorian level. Then as things slid, people went back to a medieval way of life or started relying on magic, leading to the other games.

I don't know if any of this really works, but it would be cool if Miyazaki comes out one day and reveals that the seven games actually have a timeline in the same world.

• 2WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Had a crazy thought. Well, as a kid I used to always try to link different games to each other, even across companies. The thing with Mario RPG having an "FF4 boss" (that turned out to have nothing to do with FF4) got me looking at a whole bunch of things and figuring out their connections.

Well, it occurred to me the other day that there really isn't anything in the way of Fromsoft's big seven all taking place in the same world. Yeah, we don't see the Erdtree in any of the others, but if there were a world tree in Scandinavia or something, we wouldn't be able to see it from the rest of the world either. Sekiro is actually a perfect representation of the "Land of Reeds" that gets mentioned in Elden Ring. I figured the LOR would end up being ER's DLC or sequel or something but what if it's just Sekiro's land and we already saw it?

Demon Souls / Boletaria could easily be in ER's world. Maybe the Dark trilogy is later in time, showing the deterioration of the world down to where even fire/light just ceases to exist.

Bloodborne might be a prequel. Like pre-collapse, civilization had evolved to a Victorian level. Then as things slid, people went back to a medieval way of life or started relying on magic, leading to the other games.

I don't know if any of this really works, but it would be cool if Miyazaki comes out one day and reveals that the seven games actually have a timeline in the same world.
dee.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I mean, any reason why they wouldn't work as being in the same world, or shouldn't? Besides that we wouldn't get the Land of Reeds as a sequel or DLC if it already exists.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Were you high as fuck when you wrote this?

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It’s canon for me now unless Miyazaki comes forward to deny it.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf