Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't, he's suggesting that the game was not very difficult and then offering examples of things that would only be known via googling. He said the game isn't that difficult (it is) and based that opinion around what essentially equates to full walk through guide knowledge and video tutorials.
I think it's just as misleading to judge the difficulty only on the first 10-20% of the game, though. An entire playthrough should give you a fuller evaluation than your first impressions or initial difficulty. Now, it might bias your conclusion but so would whatever your evaluation was when you were relatively ignorant of the game. I think the learning curve out scales the difficulty and that should be a factor in how hard something in its totality is judged to be.

I personally wouldn't consider it in the highest tier of difficulty for one simple reason: You can keep leveling and, while it's not linear growth, it does continue to help. Taking Radahn on at 35-40 is a much different beast than doing so at 60. Fighting Radagon and Elden Beast with 60 vigor, full armor and medium or light roll, and 60+ in your damage stat is much different than facing them at level 100.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Me: "Elden Ring gives you a lot of tools and options to make things easy if need be so it's something pretty much anyone can progress in and enjoy, wish more people would give it a shot instead of letting journalists ward them off"

Guy: "&^%*@#^%(#$%$#(%#$^%*&"

Where's that DLC? People are getting backed-up in here.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We need another couple weeks of khaine edge lording to pay penace for dlc.

honestly i think it drops right before DD2 to undermine that release.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
My Friend Sport GIF by UFC

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

10 AM EST

What are the odds it's for a release a few days later?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Those of you who have gotten good at Elden Ring... how often do you use parries, counters, blocks, ripostes, etc. when fighting vs. just button mashing?

• 1WTF

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Those of you who have gotten good at Elden Ring... how often do you use parries, counters, blocks, ripostes, etc. when fighting vs. just button mashing?

Fuck all that shit, dual-wield greatswords.

You're welcome.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I gave up playing shortly after beating Queen Rennala because I was starting to get wrecked pretty frequently. I thought that to git gud at melee I needed to learn all that counter moves shit and I suck too hard at that to bother so I stopped playing

• 1NPC

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I gave up playing shortly after beating Queen Rennala because I was starting to get wrecked pretty frequently. I thought that to git gud at melee I needed to learn all that counter moves shit and I suck too hard at that to bother so I stopped playing

There are many bosses/attacks that aren't parry-able, so I tend to not even try that shit. Dodgeroll and smash.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Decided to play this recently again too, I almost never parry. With all the crazy ranged attacks, erratic strikes and chain-combos most enemies have it seems like parry is mostly pointless, but it's probably extremely useful in a few tough situations. Timing attacks just right is its own skill and always pays off no matter what.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've always thought of parry as being something of a uhm, showboating move. In most cases to parry effectively you have to really know the moveset of the mob you're facing so you can effectively parry during the window and at the right times. This becomes an investment that pays off in that you can defeat enemies with that moveset, but that skill often doesn't translate to the next enemy as much as just getting good at using range, movement, rolling etc to beat them. Some mobs, like crucible knights, are really parryable so the payoff is enough.

It sure does look cool though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I blocked, riposted and parried a combined zero times across both playthroughs.

• 3Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm not great at Souls games or anything (and Nioh has been totally whooping my ass) so I'm not trying to brag, but I really don't get people who complain about Elden Ring's difficulty.

Using all the tools available to me, I never had any real trouble with Elden Ring outside of a few very specific spots: Malenia, Radahn, Fire Giant, Elden Beast, that one mines dungeon you get ported into with the string-shooting menaces, Godrick at the beginning, the draconic knight outside Maliketh's room, the snow dragon, the Castle Sol guy, and maybe the Godskin Duo. I don't even know about that last one because I put one to sleep and just kind of dealt with them. And a lot of the others are optional. You can go back to Godrick later.

The only -required- things that were hard were the final boss, Fire Giant, and maybe Godskin Duo. All of those are in like the last 5% of the game.

The other 98% of the "main story" wasn't really any kind of problem. Fights I've seen endless bitching about like Maliketh, Margit, Mogh... they were all pretty whatever. Using all the tools available to you, and there are a lot, you can get through most of the game without issue. Compare that to Sekiro where they give you no way out, you gotta git gud, or Nioh where it's fast and furious and just whoops your ass...

...yeah, when it comes to Elden Ring's vaunted "difficulty" I don't get it, and it's a shame those articles and stuff keep people away from the game thinking it's fucking Cuphead or something.
So with summons or ashes I assume?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've always thought of parry as being something of a uhm, showboating move. In most cases to parry effectively you have to really know the moveset of the mob you're facing so you can effectively parry during the window and at the right times. This becomes an investment that pays off in that you can defeat enemies with that moveset, but that skill often doesn't translate to the next enemy as much as just getting good at using range, movement, rolling etc to beat them. Some mobs, like crucible knights, are really parryable so the payoff is enough.

It sure does look cool though.

It's more of a Lies of P move. Ring isn't the game if you are into parrying.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Level Vigor. A Lot.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's more of a Lies of P move. Ring isn't the game if you are into parrying.

Yeah, Lies of P is the game for parry enthusiasts. Wo Long is another really good one since parrying is how you punish bosses. Sekiro is another where you need to have good parry game. I had a ton of fun beating all 3, despite not even liking parrying before them.

I blocked, riposted and parried a combined zero times across both playthroughs.

I too beat ER, Souls 1, and Souls 2 without ever doing a single parry. Just rolls. It's because the first From game I ever played was Bloodborne, so everything since then has just been "roll roll roll". This only posed a problem with Souls 2 and its gimped rolling (until I eventually got ADP up). I think the first time I had to parry in any of these games was to beat Gwyn in NG++ of Souls 1 because he was way OP by that point yet parrying him neuters his moveset.

ER's riposte move is super useful though, especially early on, and is yet another thing that was thrown in to help less-skilled people get through it.