Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one that can’t be bothered with Elder Rings’ story?

“Big shiny tree on fire now. Ok man.”
- probably me
No, you're definitely in the majority. I bet fewer than 1% of people who beat Elden Ring could cogently explain the story, and I'm definitely in that 99%. It's like everything else in From soft's souls games, if you want lore you have to either earn it or watch youtube videos to figure it out. All I can explain is there's gods fucking with the world as they vie for power, and everyone is a deranged lunatic in some form of another and it's told to the player in a fever dream. It's an RPG delivered in surrealism.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm a sip of two of coffee in....

Why wouldn't the new area be scaled up in your NG++++ game?

(I have never NG+ a character, only rerolled a new one or kept pvping on same play thru)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

- probably me

Look man, before I would 100% simp for Ranni, I had to make sure she wouldn't have me doing anything too degenerate outside of the possibilities with those four arms.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

- probably me
I’ve seen a few lore videos and even with those the story doesn’t really make sense. I don’t really pay attention to it. It’s all about the big ass world, excellent legacy dungeon designs, weird shit and atmosphere for me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Look man, before I would 100% simp for Ranni, I had to make sure she wouldn't have me doing anything too degenerate outside of the possibilities with those four arms.
Brother, she killed herself in order to spiritually inhabit a doll. She's a degenerate.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I’ve seen a few lore videos and even with those the story doesn’t really make sense. I don’t really pay attention to it. It’s all about the big ass world, excellent legacy dungeon designs, weird shit and atmosphere for me.

I thought the story not making sense or being spelled out for you is by design. It allows you to fill in the gaps and make it up yourself in your head. Heard an interview with Miyazaki were he would go to the library as a kid and not really understand everything in the fantasy books and sorta just filled in the details himself. That feeling for storytelling is what he goes for in his games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Elden Ring makes sense as a story about a cosmic power struggle in the same way this painting portrays temporal decay. Or something.

Salvador-Dali-The-Persistence-of-Memory-19311.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

- probably me
Imo the weakest part of ER. Aside from being all stereotypical ultra Japanese metaphors and symbolism you basically have to be an autistic archeologist to uncover what bits and pieces that are there then left to draw conclusions.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I think I have a decent handle on the story but the one thing that really confuses me is why Godwyn's corpse is turning into a giant fish. It cannot just be to look creepy as fuck (even though it is creepy as fuck).

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Yeah I got shit for all story wise from the game, but an hour on the wiki and its a great lore dump. Im ok with that in certain ways.

My problem isnt not being told where to go or what to do, Evbentually you figure it out I dont need hand holding. But their biggest weakness is I beat the game byt wandering around for the most part or googling, and I was never clear on what is optional, not clear one when im making a altering choice, or that I was going different routes.

I mean I showed up to volcano manor, did 1 or two quests, the wandered around and found and killed Rykard without it really being clear that would end Volcano manor for me. Or times I would be working to helping Rannis path, without really getting that its a choice or could alter my outcome.

I guess im old and gay and like it a little more Mass Effect style, where I know I'm making a clear binary choice and will have to see what its outcome is later (IE It doesnt matter because Bioware are fags)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Imo the weakest part of ER. Aside from being all stereotypical ultra Japanese metaphors and symbolism you basically have to be an autistic archeologist to uncover what bits and pieces that are there then left to draw conclusions.
I'm not in love with it, but it's a refreshing change of pace from the very overt storytelling in most games where the player is constantly reminded in the plainest terms what the lore is and how the quest they're on is involved with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I'm having a ton of fun with a Greatsword (actually a colossal sword) with the Lion's Claw weapon art which does an amazing forward summersault that does like 3x weapon damage and staggers almost everything but the flip tends to avoid most enemy attack animations too. If you run out of mana you can still do the summersault but damage will be 1x weapon damage which is still pretty nice.

It's the Guts build. It's what I used on my first play after I realised Quality build were really bad in Elden Ring. It's really powerfull and straightforward. Nothing fancy and really fun.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it's not like From doesn't have a history of having characters being someone else or other weird shit. Maybe it's some Trinity style bullshit.

Miquella already has an alterego: St. Trina.

Messmer on the other hand seems to be Malenia and Miquella's lost brother. I know the base game has a few obscure references to him, but he still feels like an idea pulled out of the air.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if there will be other DLCs down the road or what - according to the lore nuts there's a ton of references to other things we haven't seen yet. That Elden Ring is only one continent of a larger world.

I'm hoping after this they start working on Elden Ring 2 and it covers the Land of Reeds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm a sip of two of coffee in....

Why wouldn't the new area be scaled up in your NG++++ game?

(I have never NG+ a character, only rerolled a new one or kept pvping on same play thru)

It would be scaled up, which is why I'm gonna start over.

When it first came out, I tried doing the Old Hunters DLC on my existing NG+ file of Bloodborne and got utterly destroyed with my endgame character. Replayed new game and tried Old Hunters again, still got destroyed but it was very manageable and felt like the right difficulty level.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind the lack of hand holding and the obscure lore. I think my larger problem might be with the cosmic scale and eastern storytelling. It's too esoteric for my tastes. Gameplay and atmosphere is fucking nuts. Story is like...ok that's incomprehensible.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I'm hoping after this they start working on Elden Ring 2 and it covers the Land of Reeds.
IGN interviewer asked Miyazaki about future plans for ER.

Final question on the topic of Shadow of the Erdtree, but do you envision this as the end of Elden Ring's story or is there room for either more DLC or in Elden Ring 2 down the line?

Miyazaki:
We don't want to say this is the end of the Elden Ring saga for now. I think we said a similar thing at the end of Dark Souls 3. We didn't want to flatten those possibilities or put a pin in them just at that time. And it's a similar story with Elden Ring. We don't want to discourage the possibilities for that. There might be more ideas in the future.

We don't have any current plans to make a second DLC or a sequel, but we definitely don't want to snuff out that possibility. We think that there could well be something the future.

• 3Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
IGN interviewer asked Miyazaki about future plans for ER.

....we're gonna be waiting a really, really long time for more Elden Ring after this aren't we?

Well, enjoy the hell out of this DLC and make it last.

• 3Like