Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm gonna poke around and watch a few videos. Sounds like my type of game, but I did not really get into Skyrim which I know is a big no non for alot of people.
It’s not comparable to Skyrim imo. I got bored 20-30 hours into Skyrim and quit. This is coming from someone who grew up on arena and daggerfall.

I’ve played through elden ring multiple times, hundreds of hours. It’s my personal best game of all time and I play games in nearly every genre.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Skyrim and Elden Ring are both great for exploration. Elden ring is great for combat and Skyrim sucks for it. Skyrim has a lot of story and Elden Ring's is limited and esoteric. Elden ring equipment/weapons matters a lot more than it does in Skyrim and there's a lot more variety in ER. With the obvious age differences, Elden ring looks a lot better. They really are not that comparable overall, tbh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Skyrim and ER are pretty comprable in that if someone said they loved or hated Skyrim and said why I'd have a pretty good guess on how they'd feel about Elden Ring.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The main issue for me in Skyrim (and mind you I enjoyed it) was how laughably easy you could break the entire game just by crafting early. That and the stat system was fairly weak compared to many games in the genre. It is a decent game, but it was just not as sophisticated of an RPG, especially for being an open world sandbox game. Really, it compares more closely to the last two Zelda games (which are far superior at doing what it seems to be trying to do). Souls games and ER in particular are much more tactical and methodical, with the story being there if you want to engage it but never taking away from the deep mechanical combat experience. Plus the world design is much more thought out and deliberate in ER (and the Zelda game), which I thinks helps a lot.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Skyrim and Elden Ring are both great for exploration. Elden ring is great for combat and Skyrim sucks for it. Skyrim has a lot of story and Elden Ring's is limited and esoteric. Elden ring equipment/weapons matters a lot more than it does in Skyrim and there's a lot more variety in ER. With the obvious age differences, Elden ring looks a lot better. They really are not that comparable overall, tbh.

While this might be mostly true, on the exploration front they differ greatly. You will never be in awe when exploring the world of Skyrim. Elden Ring on the other hand will routinely knock you on your ass while exploring, just through the sheer awesomeness of their world building and art.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You will never be in awe when exploring the world of Skyrim.
I disagree with this. Blackreach, the throat of the world quest and even just the first mission loop to climb the first small mountain was pretty awe inspiring in 2011. Elden Ring (and generally the Dark Souls games) definitely beat it by creating a grander, higher fantasy experience.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Only thing holding MLGS back from #1 in my book is how late in the game you get it, compared to most of the colossal weapons you can get early on and then just pump str/vig and unga bunga through the game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I disagree with this. Blackreach, the throat of the world quest and even just the first mission loop to climb the first small mountain was pretty awe inspiring in 2011. Elden Ring (and generally the Dark Souls games) definitely beat it by creating a grander, higher fantasy experience.

Key here is “inspiring in 2011.”

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Skyrim was one the early progenitors of endless 'procedural' content soup.

Everything in Elden Ring is hand crafted to be the way that it is.

They are not the same.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Skyrim sucked imo. Combat sucked. Go to dungeon, loot sucks. Pointless. I'm not one of those people that are into story > combat.

Elden ring may have story, I have no idea what it is, but I'm going to kill giant fire monsters with a kitana so I don't care.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Skyrim was one the early progenitors of endless 'procedural' content soup.

Everything in Elden Ring is hand crafted to be the way that it is.

They are not the same.
Elder Scrolls has always pushed procedural content and Skyrim was more handcrafted than Oblivion, which was more handcrafted than Morrowind. They kinda sorta pushed than in Starfield and did it fairly poorly with kinda bland environments peppered with random handcrafted stuff that didn't make sense.

I hope they embrace cooking procedural stews ES6. Tons of AAA games out there have handcrafted worlds with handcrafted quests, I want to see some ridiculous, ambitious craziness.

• 3Worf

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Only thing holding MLGS back from #1 in my book is how late in the game you get it, compared to most of the colossal weapons you can get early on and then just pump str/vig and unga bunga through the game.
You can get it shockingly early if your build is strong and you don't mind missing out on Poop Man. Especially considering you are probably a sorcerer if you are going for that weapon, so a lot of fights are going to be trivial early on. All the major bosses in the way are very cheesable, especially for a caster. Night Comet can practically carry you the entire game and its super easy to get early.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can get it shockingly early if your build is strong and you don't mind missing out on Poop Man. Especially considering you are probably a sorcerer if you are going for that weapon, so a lot of fights are going to be trivial early on. All the major bosses in the way are very cheesable, especially for a caster. Night Comet can practically carry you the entire game and it’s super easy to get early.

Even Rock Sling demolishes most enemies and is super easy to get without any combat.

Downside is it clips on every random wall or pillar in the game.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like the Bethesda games are like choose your own adventure books with less-than-current-gen graphics

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the Bethesda games are like choose your own adventure books with less-than-current-gen graphics

Choose your own adventure books would be an improvement, honestly. There's a very large and empty space that could be filled by a studio actually creating games where you have multiple meaningful choices that affect the game, such that one person's playthrough might be completely different from another person's playthrough, in the main story beats areas.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I missed this game first go around. I mostly play RPGs like BG3 now and various arpgs. I know it is about to have an expansion but does the base game hold up well? $59 if I remember right. I got more time than anything to play shit now. Not sure why it never really noticed it much before. I watched a couple of reviews, some fairly new and some from back a while and they mostly mention games that it's like or not like that I never played either.

This is probably the game of the decade so far, and worth playing. Not just playing, getting into and doing everything. However it's pretty hard at first. There are plenty of tools to help you as you get further along and most of it isn't bad at all outside of a few major hiccup bosses (most of which are optional). So don't be scared off by reviewers calling it "inaccessible".

All of that said, it's a Fromsoft game and they can be an acquired taste. Lot of people, myself included, hated their first Fromsoft game for the first 5-10 hours. Why is this so slow? Why is there a delay on my attacks? Why can't I run into a crowd of mobs and maul them?

So if this is your first Fromsoft game get ready for that 5-10 hour "adjustment phase" where you WTF a lot at the game until it subconsciously clicks and you know what it wants from you. Once you get through that phase and "get" Fromsoft, then you have this entire game open to you plus 5 other incredible games they've made over the past decade and a half (Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne). I seriously envy anybody who gets to play all these for the first time.

• 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This is probably the game of the decade so far, and worth playing. Not just playing, getting into and doing everything. However it's pretty hard at first. There are plenty of tools to help you as you get further along and most of it isn't bad at all outside of a few major hiccup bosses (most of which are optional). So don't be scared off by reviewers calling it "inaccessible".

All of that said, it's a Fromsoft game and they can be an acquired taste. Lot of people, myself included, hated their first Fromsoft game for the first 5-10 hours. Why is this so slow? Why is there a delay on my attacks? Why can't I run into a crowd of mobs and maul them?

So if this is your first Fromsoft game get ready for that 5-10 hour "adjustment phase" where you WTF a lot at the game until it subconsciously clicks and you know what it wants from you. Once you get through that phase and "get" Fromsoft, then you have this entire game open to you plus 5 other incredible games they've made over the past decade and a half (Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne). I seriously envy anybody who gets to play all these for the first time.

In the new world after the glorious revolution, we will have memory erasing machines that target only your memories of FromSoft games, so you can re-experience them.

In other news, productivity will drop 45%.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In the new world after the glorious revolution, we will have memory erasing machines that target only your memories of FromSoft games, so you can re-experience them.

In other news, productivity will drop 45%.

That reminds me, I was telling someone the other day that I bet a ton of people call into work sick (or use vacation time) for the DLC launch day, which is a Friday. I bet it's enough to be noticeable, like a Dragon Quest in Japan.