Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
also is there a flying for retards guides because I spend like 90% of the time flying in full retard mode.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How do you mean?

It is both. The Solo Mode, I believe, acts as completely single player. You'll still have NPC pirates and everything, just no PVP from PCs.

Online Mode puts you on the server (both are technically on server... like no offline play) so you'll run in to PCs and it is pretty much FFA with certain negative consequences for killing non-wanted people.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
How do you mean?

It is both. The Solo Mode, I believe, acts as completely single player. You'll still have NPC pirates and everything, just no PVP from PCs.

Online Mode puts you on the server (both are technically on server... like no offline play) so you'll run in to PCs and it is pretty much FFA with certain negative consequences for killing non-wanted people.
Thanks thats what I wanted to know. I should probably pick up a joystick or something because keyboard and mouse has going like all over the place. Maybe I just haven't caught on yet.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Starting the grind for a Transport 9, anyone having experience with this beast of a ship (besided being rammed by them when docking
cool.png
).

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Starting the grind for a Transport 9, anyone having experience with this beast of a ship (besided being rammed by them when docking
cool.png
).
It's fun to fly but steers like a skyscraper. However, it has a limited jump range (about 11 LY IIRC) so be careful where you buy one and make sure you have plenty of cash left over for the upgrades (like tens of millions).

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
It's fun to fly but steers like a skyscraper. However, it has a limited jump range (about 11 LY IIRC) so be careful where you buy one and make sure you have plenty of cash left over for the upgrades (like tens of millions).
Aiming for trading in my Python (worth about 75-80 mil, has quite a few upgrades like an A class FSD) and saving up 30-40 millions in addition to that bringing the total up to 120 mil. According to the shipyards tool the full price of the T-9 I am aiming for, including upgrades, is about 97 mil but you never know. The 20-25 mil left over should cover insurance and a full cargo load.

I dunno why I dont like the Python. Its a decent cargo hauler with the A class FSD, it handles like a dream in combat but.... something is lacking. I have way more fun in a Viper doing bounties then in the Python for some reason.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
dunno man making that first 100k is a bitch every outpots is like nah no docking allowed or no actual missions on the boards.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
They are full when they tell you "docking not allowed". I made the same mistake. Instead of waiting, I started only using the docks where you fly into the structure. No waiting on those and time spent waiting while doing trade runs is money lost.

Raign

Golden Squire
dunno man making that first 100k is a bitch every outpots is like nah no docking allowed or no actual missions on the boards.
The first 100k is by far the hardest. Once you have played a bit you will become more familiar with the buy/sell patterns of certain station/system types which helps. Try loading up on missions that don't have a penalty for not completing. Lots of people see the ones 'Bring 2 silver to this station for $$' missions and balk at them, but there is no downside to taking them and just keeping an eye out while doing other stuff. I often had an entire screen of those types of missions when starting out and whenever I docked from a ferrying/bounty hunting I would just check and see if the station had any of the requested goods.

Alternately, head to a system with a resource extraction site and hunt some ships tagged 'wanted' to start out. It will familiarize you with the controls more and you will have system 'police' ships to help out (assuming you don't do it in Anarchy space). Just keep in mind that friendly fire on system police turns them agro on you (at least until next patch) so you need to be pretty careful about your aiming.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
They're changing friendly fire turning the whole zone on you next patch? Thank fucking god.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
They're changing friendly fire turning the whole zone on you next patch? Thank fucking god.
If you just nick a police ship's shields with your pulse laser, or a stray bullet from your multicannon, then you'll get some abuse from the NPC pilot but no more.

If you zap them with something like a railgun, or hit them multiple times, or hit an unshielded police craft, then it will be just like it is now. The leniency level will also depend on your standing with their faction. If they're unfriendly to start with, don't expect any favours.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The number of bugs this game is still suffering from is pretty disappointing :/

Anyone who played beta knows at what point they added BB missions?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Preview of what's coming in 1.1, with collaborative missions:

Elite: Dangerous patch 1.1 preview: Community Goals revealed - PC Gamer

One of the devs mentioned bug fixes to existing missions (where the results are being applied to the wrong factions) last week, so I imagine there'll be changes in this weeks mini-patch. They have patched missions before though and they are still buggy.

The mission generator still seems to create what I would call counter-productive missions, such as a faction offering a mission to destroy system authority ships when said faction is the system authority. When nothing unusual is happening in the station I think it's just a basic random mission generator so you get odd tasks every now and then. If the station is in an "interesting" state like famine or outbreak you do get slightly different missions being created, but there's little depth to them at the moment.

Fixes to missing permits (where some Fed/Empire system permits are currently not being offered if your rank is too high) is incoming.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Outside of waiting till the game is ancient, any other prime times I'm apt to pick this up at not $60?