Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
So it's basically what Pirates of the burning Sea tried for 6 years and simply couldn't get right? :/

Is this game mostly PVE?
There's some talk in this thread from one of the developers about how the players affect the galaxy:

...the intention is to get things moving and then expand. There's no point going wide until you know the system works. We also want to see what players do for a while and expand on that. The efforts in Lugh are a good example of that.

...[Lugh] actually has changed a few times, but not enough to stay in the new state. There's been some good data from the efforts there that we can use to balance further.
Michael Brooks can you please answer my question?

I would say the game is mostly PvE. There are "hub" areas as posted above where there are plenty of players and you could find some PvP action, but it's really easy to avoid so unless everyone wants a fight you might be out of luck. Some people racked up impressive bounties from killing players in beta though so it can be done; the top 5 local bounties are posted at each station and I believe a player could get their name up there, although I've not noticed one yet.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this game easy enough to get into to just download and play or do I need a Master's Degree on their game-wiki first?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Is this game easy enough to get into to just download and play or do I need a Master's Degree on their game-wiki first?
I would say that if you do the tutorials you"sould" be able to start doing some basic stuff like trade mission running (fly X to Y for profit). If you want to get into mining, bounty hunting, pirating, trading...... you need to read up and watch youtube videos unless you feel like learning everything the hard way

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I did the first two tutorials - shooting and basic combat - and it seems this game is completely unplayable with mouse kb to me. What's a decent joysticks these days? I haven't had one of these since the 90s.

LodyR_sl

shitlord
I bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for it, works pretty well.
Really good ones are too expensive imo. Media Markt has it for the same price as Amazon: 42,99 ?.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
So I did the first two tutorials - shooting and basic combat - and it seems this game is completely unplayable with mouse kb to me. What's a decent joysticks these days? I haven't had one of these since the 90s.
Just picked this up today and finding the offline tutorial guides on their website better than the in game ones :

User Guide |Elite: Dangerous

In game you don't get told any basics at all - eg rotation is ridiculously slow unless you have enough thrust to take you into the 'blue bars' indicator, using vert thrusters and yaw as well as mouse etc.

Go through the online guide linked, make some basic notes, make a list of your hot keys and you're good to go.

I bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for it, works pretty well.
Really good ones are too expensive imo. Media Markt has it for the same price as Amazon: 42,99 ?.
Thanks Lody, just ordered one from Amazon in UK. Stock on these was low and ticking down as I read the reviews, can only think due toElite.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I recommend a Saitek X52 Pro. Stick, throttle and enough buttons to map most if not all necessary functions you might need in combat.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Here are a few changes:
Change Mouse X axis to YAW
Change A D to ROLL
Adjust the mouse near the center of the screen to be accurate. NO DEAD ZONE. Dead zone on a mouse is dumb, but it's needed for a joystick. Then tinker with the sensitivity settings.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I would love to check this out if it had KB/M support like Freelancer did.
I'd be happy sticking with KB/M. Just picking a joystick up to check it out. For me it plays exactly like the originalElitewhich I never used a joystick on.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Just picked this up today and finding the offline tutorial guides on their website better than the in game ones :

User Guide |Elite: Dangerous

In game you don't get told any basics at all - eg rotation is ridiculously slow unless you have enough thrust to take you into the 'blue bars' indicator, using vert thrusters and yaw as well as mouse etc.

Go through the online guide linked, make some basic notes, make a list of your hot keys and you're good to go.

Thanks Lody, just ordered one from Amazon in UK. Stock on these was low and ticking down as I read the reviews, can only think due toElite.
If I had only seen those guides before yesterday. Would of saved me a shit load of "what the fuck am I doing". I think I couldn't dock because I tried to land on a pad without asking permission. lol

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Game looks fun, Does it support occulus rift?
Yes, I play this on my Rift quite a bit. They have actually gone out of their way to support the Rift. The only thing that doesn't work well it's the galaxy map. The direct to rift mode is a bit wonky last I heard well but using extended mode is fine.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Game looks fun, Does it support occulus rift?
There's this thread that might help:

How to get the DK2 working

Also a quick warning that NVidia have some beta drivers out that mention enhancements forElite: Dangerous, but the beta drivers break Rift support in the game.

nVidia's latest driver (347.09) has caused issues with Oculus Rift support for the game, so we advise you to not download this currently, or roll back your driver update if you have already done so. Nvidia are aware of the issue and we are communicating with them in regards to this, so hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Do Not Install nVidia Driver 347.09 if You're Using Oculus Rift

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I recommend a Saitek X52 Pro. Stick, throttle and enough buttons to map most if not all necessary functions you might need in combat.
Thanks, but that thing is ancient and seems to be out of stock. I ordered the logitech.

I accepted a mission to bring 3 food to the station I'm already at. I think I figured out I have to get this stuff on my own.

but I can't find out how to get this stuff. There doesn't seem to be a market at the station like there was inElite2. Where do you buy goods?

btw why does it say "Current mode Solo" when I selected open play at start?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Some stations do not have a market, check the system map and it'll show you what stations have and do not have markets.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like how a station that supposedly imports hydrogen fuel buys it for 20cr less than galaxy average :/

I take it there's no Taxi service in the game (yet?)
Can't find any bulletin board requests to that end