Elite: Dangerous

Fingz_sl

shitlord
I looked through the threads and couldn't fine one on this. BBC tech podcast was talking about this said it was a cross between EVE and Privateer.

It's massively multiplayer but it also has a single player mode. This game has been around forever but this version will be the first MMO version.

web site

? An immersive, evolving galaxy with dynamic society, economy and stories, allowing pilots to join each other and together change story of the Milky Way.

? Pilots will be breaking blockades, battling pirates, attacking enemy positions and installations, and more, leaving their mark whatever they go.

? All actions, be it mass-multiplayer or singleplayer will change history of human kind.

? For those who want to play in their own galaxy offline single player will also be available.

? Free-form play allows everyone to choose their own path, becoming an angry pirate, a spy, a peaceful trader, an explorer, a soldier, or a mix between these roles.

? There are no classes or skill levels, strength is decided by ship equipment and player skill.

? The vast, scientifically accurate 1:1 scale of the seamless Milky Way galaxy is created using a mix of procedural generation and artist direction. ? Around around 100 billion star systems (around 400 billion stars considering most systems contain multiple stars) according to current scientific theories of star system formation with planets and moons that orbit and rotate.

? Cosmic phenomena like black holes, supernovas, active binary stars etc.

? Specially handcrafted overrides for 160,000 known stars in the night sky and planetary objects that we know and love. For example, our solar system with Earth, Moon and Mars, other systems with recently discovered planets, etc.

? Freeform (manual yaw/pitch/roll) interplanetary flight allows to fly freely through star systems in realistic scale to get to a destination. Players can choose to travel wherever they want, including vista points to see Earth rise on the moon, or sun appearing behind of Mars. Or they could choose to explore the vast expanse of space and discover new points of interest in star systems.

The game will be expanded with ambitious features such as seamless freeform (manual pitch/yaw/roll) atmospheric flight and landings and walking around and boarding ships, walking in stations and on full 1:1 scale populated living planets and more. More detailed information on a lot of the features of the game can be found in the Design Discussion Archive.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I have no idea of Star Citizen or this game is really an MMO or a single player game or some weird in the middle thing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Thismight not be an MMO. I'm not even sure Star Citizen is even a game.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Oh it's a game, you can play it. I'm not sure what you're playing, but you can play it. I think it's capture the flag.. in space.. with $1000 spaceships (which I don't think you can use anyway).

But you can play it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Will it have one galaxy where every player (of one region, one server or whatever connects) and you can run into hundreds of different players during a session without having to navigate menus to set that up?

If no, it doesn't belong here.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Will it have one galaxy where every player (of one region, one server or whatever connects) and you can run into hundreds of different players during a session without having to navigate menus to set that up?

If no, it doesn't belong here.
There's one galaxy (AFAIK) but a weird "matchmaking" system where you can only see up to 32 other players at one time in realspace, depending upon your friends list, your ignore list, and how good your connection is - so you get teamed up with people with a similar latency. It's not really functional yet so it's hard to tell how it will all work out.

Given there are going to be millions of systems to visit with procedural generation, it's not likely to be crowded after a couple of weeks even if you decide it is an MMO.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wik....22_an_MMOG.3F

Is "Elite: Dangerous" an MMOG?

Elite: Dangerous is an MMOG, but with the important addition, that you can choose if you want to meet other players or not and there is even a mode to play fully offline.
The game features a shared persistent galaxy server, where macro effects and events such as economy, society and war status etc are recorded.

The are no multi-player lobbies.

The server transparently creates free roaming sessions (instances) when meeting other players and NPCs within that galaxy based on a perception bubble around you, that is defined by your scanner/visual range. That means that those instances are not a fixed location in space as in most other MMOs, but they dynamically move around.

The effects of those instances are then stored on the central galaxy server and shared by everybody.

Because the game features very high speed twitch combat and very detailed damage models, this is the most reliable way to do it, also keep in mind there can be many sessions within a star system and those sessions can dynamically move around, also because this game uses a 1:1 scale Milky Way galaxy, sessions will typically be spread out much farther away (although most of the action will be within the core systems) and it wouldn't be immersion breaking as opposed to a space game in a smaller area.

Sound a little bit like EVE-Online does it with their "grids"...

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's one galaxy (AFAIK) but a weird "matchmaking" system where you can only see up to 32 other players at one time in realspace, depending upon your friends list, your ignore list, and how good your connection is - so you get teamed up with people with a similar latency. It's not really functional yet so it's hard to tell how it will all work out.

Given there are going to be millions of systems to visit with procedural generation, it's not likely to be crowded after a couple of weeks even if you decide it is an MMO.
So it creates instances of Systems similar to EQ2 did at the start with some of the more crowded zones?

32 players in my area, with thousands others available at the Comms, sounds like an MMORPG to me.

being able to /ignore pirates away from your ship does sound fairly stupid, though.

I wonder how anonymous you can be in that game. Will you see another ship on the radar, and the game will immediately tell you that's J4ckT3hR1pp4h?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
This and the Star Citizen model are not MMOs. More like instanced games with lobbies.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Closing thread. Please keep discussion in the Other Games thread.