Embers Adrift

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Another 'EQ-like' indie MMO

STORMHAVEN STUDIOS ANNOUNCES BETA STAGE; REWARDS EXTENSION; SERVER STRESS TESTING

2.2.22 — Stormhaven Studios is excited to announce that Embers Adrift will officially enter closed beta testing on March 1st, 2022. Starting in March testing times will be expanded to Friday 12 pm CST / 6 pm UTC through Sundays 11:59 pm CST / 5:59 am UTC, unless maintenance is required, as well as our normal Wednesday test with the devs starting at 8 pm CST / 2 am UTC.

For those who may not know, Embers Adrift is a PvE MMORPG focused on group-based gameplay, exploration, and community. Inspired by experiences in tabletop games and early MMORPGs we aim to build a unique experience in today’s MMORPG market. Come see how we are executing that and give your thoughts and feedback directly to the dev team. Come test with us and help us craft an MMORPG by gamers, for gamers! Ignite your adventure today and join the test community in the Embers Adrift tester Discord and forums (pre-order at Embers Adrift).

If you have been waiting to create content or stream Embers Adrift the time is near; beginning March 1st we will drop our NDA policy. All who join us during our closed beta are welcome to share their experiences with the world. Please keep in mind that this is still a test phase; characters may be wiped and things are subject to change. All characters will be wiped at the end of the beta stage in preparation for our game launch.

As an indie studio we truly appreciate your support as we approach beta and launch. For those who may just be learning about Embers Adrift the opportunity to obtain Alpha rewards will be offered for one additional month. Once we enter beta stage on March 1st the Alpha Pre-Order Rewards will no longer be available. We can confirm that Embers Adrift will be a subscription-based game at $14.99/mo. To celebrate our launch we will be offering a discounted subscription of $9.99 for a limited time after launch. The rewards for beta and alpha are listed below:

Alpha Price: $50.00 USD
*applicable tax not included
Beta Price: $50.00 USD
*applicable tax not included
Rewards:
Closed Alpha Access
Closed Beta Access
Drifter Title
Wanderer Title
30 Days of game time
3 Days Early Access to live game
Ember-Inlaid Sword Item
Rewards:

Closed Beta Access

Wanderer Title
30 Days of game time
1 Day Early Access to live game
Ember-Inlaid Sword Item

During beta there will be an exclusive Server Stress Test event called the World-Breaker event. Those who wish to be invited to participate will be able to sign-up on our website to be added to a pool of possible participants; we will announce a date for the opening of this sign-up page soon so keep an eye on our social media pages and/or sign-up for our newsletter. Those who have pre-ordered will automatically gain access to the World-Breaker event. Invitations to those who haven’t pre-ordered are going to be limited. Players who log-in during this weekend event will receive the exclusive “World-Breaker” title as well as the Ember-Inlaid Sword item. Please join the community as we test our servers in order to prepare the Embers Adrift server infrastructure for launch operation.

About Stormhaven Studios:
Stormhaven Studios is a small indie dev team of 11 who have set out to develop a MMO that offers immersive, group-based content in a PvE realm where new and old MMO players alike can forge lasting memories. Working alongside our community of core MMORPG players, consulting with industry experts, and pouring our passion and love for games into the project, the Embers Adrift indie team is excited to offer the world what we believe many core MMO player as well as other gamers have been waiting for for a long time.

We will be launching Embers Adrift this year!

Media Contact:
Public Relations Team, Stormhaven Studios
[email protected]

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I seem to recall reading this game was developed by a team of like 8 people. Wish em luck, we'll see how it is

1643840743347.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I just want EQ3, why can i just not have a mf'n EQ3 god dammit.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Goonsquad Officer
Eq3 would be a bastardized version of whatever game is popular in the day. So fortnight?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So what kind of gifs do we post in this thread?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
So this game is actually the Saga of Lucimia game under a new title. I wondered what had become of that project. Don't have much hope for this one, as the animations and combat look bad, but it looks like it's going to be the first of the "EQ 1" throwback MMOs in development to actually launch. Could be interesting to see if it gets any traction at all.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I watched the gameplay video and I just don't see any appeal at all. Low fantasy, no subsystems for things like crafting, no information on character classes or ability trees, the dungeon that was in the trailer didn't show up... what is this supposed to be? You just run around as a group of people and smack things in a generic woods environment? Where is the world building or sense of adventure that Lucimia was supposed to be founded on?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't this use to be Saga of Lucimia? I get this is an idie project but all i've ever seen is human models in a forest with barebones animations.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
there was a stream streaming going through the first dungeon for anyone curious about it. starts at around 4 hours 8 minutes

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I love this game. Very simple. Feels alot like vanguard.

I shall post more on it in a few days when the servers go down. It will help me cope with the absence.

• 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Servers are down for a few days. Anyway, I was browsing around on twitch and saw someone I followed playing this. Turned out to be the community manager. I pointed it out to some friends and one of them bought me a beta key.

I don't have much in the way of screenshots as the ingame screen grabber was busted. But I did grab a few of items using printscrn.

moon.png

That's no moon... it's a spa no a gas giant. There's also no sun in the sky so I have no idea what's going on with the celestial stuff.

The game has a very vanguardy feel to me. The music and looks and pace of combat all remind me of Van. The setting is low fantasy, but if you saw the dungeon group I was in, you'd probably think there was an elf, 2 assgoblins, a hobbit and a couple humans. The character customization isn't amazing, but it does let you choose from several body types. Height is very adjustable too.

Classes start at 3, then at level 6 you can pick one of three specialized classes. I only really looked at the support lines and ended up picking Sentinel, which is a sort of shamanlike healer. No dots but debuffs and heals.

The Warlord was another choice and had alot of heals over time and small group heals.

Being low fantasy and my action all low level, we didn't have any crowd control to work with. 2 healers + offtanks were doing the job mostly, but we eventually wiped to some spiders with a stunning web type ability. Really fun times down in that dungeon. It reminded me alot of the random dungeons you'd run into in vanguard full of ants or whatever.

Treasure is starting small and very slowly improving. Lots of 1's and 2's to bonuses. I like this. I think gear gets too crazy too fast in most games. Armor has a "weight" to it, so there's no restriction by class, but certain classes can handle more weight. I really like this flexibility.

Crafting is fairly standard gather and combine. There's no random failures or skillups, which is nice. I don't see there being much of a market though as anyone can do alts that cover everything. I believe they are going to try to have certain pieces of gear craft only, and the rest drop only.

Here's a crafted item:

fauldz.png

Storywise I have no idea what's going on. That will probably flesh out once the city goes in. You can see the city from the outside but it isn't in the game yet. I did see what I imagined to be Odin a few times:
odin.png
crown.png

It vanishes if you get close to it, whatever it is.

The game's performance scales pretty well. I'm on a low end machine, an old I5, and with everything turned way down it is pretty smooth. Friends with high end machines run fine on max settings. About what you'd expect for a Unity game.

I don't know anything else about the game other than what I saw, like how many zones are planned or what the forecast is for being done. I saw 2 large outdoor zones and a pretty big dungeon, but I only got to level 8.

Oh and as you can see night is dark! Everyone comes with a torch but all it does is blind you really :) I like this too.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So its Vanguard but instead of too much brown its too much blue?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bought into the beta for this. Even if it isn’t good, I’m happy to support a more traditional type of mmo. I’m old and as much as I enjoyed some faster paced mmos, the thought of a chill grinding session being able to just chat to folks instead of constantly moving all over the place sounds nice.

• 2Like

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
Last weekend I made it to level 6 playing with a couple p99 buddies. Teamed up with two others and 5 maned the first dungeon there 'The Mines'. The music in this game is really good. This has potential. At level 6 you pick a 'specialized class'. There are 4 hotkeys for skills and 4 for consumables. The dps class in our group was doing the crowd control. The healing in this game is 'first aid' instead of magic heals. What I like about this is the lack of button mashing. We won't be playing this weekend but in two more weekends i'll have an update and some screenshots.

Edit: Adding a stock photo I found of the dungeon. Screenshot feature was broken from the last patch and I forgot to print screen.
1656639047669.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Servers come back up in about 5 hours hence. There was a little mini test wed night and they had done some skybox fixes so I could see the celestial stuff, not that it matters but I love that kind of stuff.

EmbersAdrift_2022.06.29.20.14.29.png

Looks like we are on a moon tidally locked to a gas giant. The star looks like either a white dwarf or very distant K type.

I got into the second tier of crafting but it was a bit goofy.

Planning on doing alot more of the above dungeon this weekend. I went a few zones out and it does seem like there are zones all the way to 50, though I'm sure there's alot left to do on them. The third zone gave me a really strong memory of daoc shrouded isles.

Here's what it looks like when you load a level 2 with armor :emoji_laughing:
EmbersAdrift_2022.06.29.23.30.42.png

16 seconds to do an autoattack swing.

One thing I saw that I didn't like much was a required level of 10 on tier2 weapons. I guess it is expected but I was hoping for some eq style twinkery.

Hekotat Hekotat I think it is a pre-order sort of thing. I don't know because a friend bought some kind of 2 key thing and gave me one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Servers come back up in about 5 hours hence. There was a little mini test wed night and they had done some skybox fixes so I could see the celestial stuff, not that it matters but I love that kind of stuff.

View attachment 419871

Looks like we are on a moon tidally locked to a gas giant. The star looks like either a white dwarf or very distant K type.

I got into the second tier of crafting but it was a bit goofy.

Planning on doing alot more of the above dungeon this weekend. I went a few zones out and it does seem like there are zones all the way to 50, though I'm sure there's alot left to do on them. The third zone gave me a really strong memory of daoc shrouded isles.

Here's what it looks like when you load a level 2 with armor :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 419872

16 seconds to do an autoattack swing.

One thing I saw that I didn't like much was a required level of 10 on tier2 weapons. I guess it is expected but I was hoping for some eq style twinkery.

Hekotat Hekotat I think it is a pre-order sort of thing. I don't know because a friend bought some kind of 2 key thing and gave me one.

I'd buy in but I've been burned by too many EA games. I'll hold off for now.