Emulation

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think you need just one and it will cause problems with the PS3. I have to unplug mine if I'm using the same PS3 controllers, it tries to turn on my PS3.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Figured it was something like that. Spaces in a file path always sticks out like a sore thumb to a programmer.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think you need just one and it will cause problems with the PS3. I have to unplug mine if I'm using the same PS3 controllers, it tries to turn on my PS3.
Even wired via USB I was having issues with my DS3 turning on my PS3. So like you I unplugged it. Everytime I powered off the RPI the PS3 turned on.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Another option I think is if you are using just random extra ds3s I think you can unpair (depair?) them from the ps3

Tenks

Another option I think is if you are using just random extra ds3s I think you can unpair (depair?) them from the ps3
I just went the route of buying a slew of USB controllers. Each one is like $10 on Amazon and the games feel and play better using the controller they were designed to play against. Especially N64 shit. I got 2x SNES, 2x NES, 1x N64 for like $60.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice I got a few of those too. Do you have to change controller configs each time you change a controller or does it auto detect?

Tenks

Nice I got a few of those too. Do you have to change controller configs each time you change a controller or does it auto detect?
I was able to swap in/out without needing to remap. Though the N64 emulator and controller is a bit wonky. I need to fix up the RetroArch cfg. Everytime I hit start (ie: the button required to start Mario64) it performs a Start+Select action to get out of the ROM. So I mapped it according to the RetroPie site correctly but reddit said you probably need to kill the Exit_Rom option in the RetroArch CFG. It also seems like N64emulationis only so-so with about half the games made being unstable. I also need to pick up a genesis controller.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I believe the configuration program allows you to register different controllers to each program withinemulationstation. If not you can edit the configs manually to let it know what you want and where.

Tenks

I also remember Primal Rage being the best game ever created and pumping tons of quarters into it at the arcade as a kid. Loaded up the SNES ROM last night and I was like ... "This is the worst game ever created."

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was able to swap in/out without needing to remap. Though the N64 emulator and controller is a bit wonky. I need to fix up the RetroArch cfg. Everytime I hit start (ie: the button required to start Mario64) it performs a Start+Select action to get out of the ROM. So I mapped it according to the RetroPie site correctly but reddit said you probably need to kill the Exit_Rom option in the RetroArch CFG. It also seems like N64emulationis only so-so with about half the games made being unstable. I also need to pick up a genesis controller.
Nice

I'm using a really old version (over a year old) of retropie/emulation station and I had to manually map the buttons. I'm not sure if there is a way to update both without wiping everything.

Tenks

I had to map them the first go around but it seemed fine when I was swapping them around. It would be nice if they gave you canned options like "This is a standard SNES controller" and it did all the mapping for you. I still don't know if the left/right bumpers are set correctly for me since you have the option of bottom and top and I was too lazy to look up if I should map them to the bottom or top.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can you post your retroarch.cfg file somewhere later so I can compare? I only ever used a couple controllers.

Tenks

I could but I doubt it would be that interesting. The only things I have configured are the DS3, SNES and N64 controller.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hmm I got a SanDisk 64 gig SD card but I think my card reader doesn't support it so it only shows 1 mb when I go to format it. Now I need to find a way to format this without going out and buying a new reader. I have a cell phone, digital camera, and another old card reader from my Nintendo DSLite card. Trying to think of other things around the house that may be able to read it and format it.

edit: duh, I have a Surface Pro 3 downstairs. Problem solved

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
So i have things up and running but i have some really stupid basic questions.

There is no power button by default, do you guys just leave it up turned on all the time? I can shut the system down but it wont come back on without unplugging and plugging back in.

When i do turn it back on, it doesnt automatically start my bluetooth adapter, i have to wire a controller and do a manual restart. How can i script the startup to turn it on automatically?

If i end up just leaving the thing on forever, how do i turn my ps3 controllers off? They just stay synched and on forever it looks like.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They sell switches you can wire right into the reset gpios if you're comfortable with that. I can look one up later and post it (it's not hard)

Are there a set of commands you need to enter to turn the adapter on? If so any Linux user can help you write a script and automate it, I'm not familiar with it.

Edit: Here's a decent switch. You could make your own if you were so inclined too:

Shutdown / power switch for Raspberry Pi Mausberry Circuits

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Thanks. It ended up being a combination of increasing the sleep time on startup and modifying /etc/rc.local to add this at the end right before "exit 0".

"hciconfig hci0 up piscan"

I guess after making one connection once the bluetooth adapter would stop trying to pair, this forces it to continually scan. Those switches look like a good idea, feels wrong to unplug it and plug it back in whenever I want to use it!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The switches will essentially do the same thing. You could program a switch to GPIO's that would trigger the shutdown command, but that's a bit beyond just a simple switch.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
There was a thread onemulation, but I can't seem to find it now. It had information about building it into arcade cabinets too.
I've had several threads onemulationover the years. Currently, I have about 60,000 games tied into a Hyperspin front end. The sad thing is, it's taken a couple of years of my life to do this, but I'm playing my PC and XBOX One.