Encased

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Full release Sept. 7th.

Game looks great for a successor for Fallout 1 and 2. I have been waiting on full release, as to not spoil it through EA. Next month will be busy with Pathfinder and this, since both are 40+ hour games.

P.S. Some other Russians made a decent Fallout clone, as well; if anyone is looking for something similar to play for the next few weeks: ATOM RPG

2021-08-23 18.02.22 steamcommunity.com 495c2bd7dd0f.png

Caliane

Bump.
I had this on my to buy list for quite a while, finally got around to it. it frequently goes on deep deep sales as well. 90% off on steam right now. (maybe wait for it to go on sale on gog again?) thats where I got it for 90% off 2 weeks ago. It was FREE on epic games at some point. not sure if that will cycle back again. or you might ALREADY have it, and should check it out.

This got way too ignored.

Mortismal has been mentioning it in many of his favorites for some time.

I'm not done, not even half way yet I think. but I'm very impressed. prologue is fantastic.

the title calls it a post apocalyptic rpg. which.. its not. its actually a stalkerlike scenario. based on roadside picnic. The worlds fine. theres just an incursion zone, you are trapped in.

I talked with a dev a bit back in kia.
Keep in mind that gamedev is a cesspit and you don't even need diversity to get wrecked.

As an example from my career:
Encased credits (Windows, 2019) - MobyGames

See Andrey Lyapichev under additional art? Dude was lead artist for 2 out of 4 years of project's development. He did a shitload of worked, lots of his designs are still in the game and, apparently, he got kicked because the game's looks were not larian-style enough. Design Lead/Game Director was ex-larian scripter and his operation style was Larian cargo cult. So, instead of unique visual look (that can be seen in concept art, kickstarter vid and the initial EA release), they went for more larian-ised one while Weilard (that's Lyapichev's nickname) was pushed out of the team.

Likewise, despite doing 95% of system design, I'm second in the titles under the junior game designer who, tbh, was not doing much outside of technical work. But I've departed due to conflict with game director (as he was wasting resources - the problem with larian cargo cult is that, if you're not a rich studio like them, everything is made with shit and sticks) and ofc I got "demoted" from senior to secondary.

And that's kiddy hour compared to my first project (Iratus) where I also did 95% of design and was just scammed out of both decent pay and promised revshare.

If you don't work here, you don't even begin to imagine how much of a shithole gamedev for hire is.
he has some bad blood ha.

I talked to him some more, but his post was deleted. so, don't remember it all. iirc, he felt the prologue was fantastic, but the rest of the game suffered. cut short, disjointed story, etc.

Having now played the game, I think hes way off on the art design. its 1000% better then the promo materials. more things are done in engine opposed to via cutscene slideshows. art is sharper, and more unique. much of the original stuff is pretty bland, fallout/stalker looking, while the final design hints a unique 80's retro sci-fi like you'd see in ghostbusters, the fly, buckaroo bonzai.
I think this dev is sadly just not great at collaborations.

The game did not perform well. so after market updates were sparse. and I think the studio died.

kickstarter is intersting. they have "narrator voiceover" as a stretch goal. which they did not meet. But the game IS voiced by the narrator, and its fantastic.

the designlead is this guy. worked on divnity os 1 and 2 as a scripter.design lead on Encased, and then senior rpg design on bg3.

lead art worked on this, then got picked up by owlcat for Wrath of the right, and rogue trader.

Character creation is much like Underrail. attributes, skills and perks. many skills and perks are locked behind your base attributes. like, you need 6 brains, 6 psyche to have the option of unlocking a specific perk for example. your base attributes are locked at char creation. temp buffs won't enable skills or perks. same for temp skill buffs, via gear. won't unlock skills. attributes won't change in the game. set at start. skills you do of course get.

Fatigue system sucks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I played this for a while and got through about 50% of the game. It was decent, but then something came up and never got back to it. I don't remember finding the story that compelling but for that sale price, it certainly isn't much of a risk to try it.