Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I've been using GOG whenever possible for a while now, no idea whether that platform is really established though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The young folks playing fortnite don't have a budget worth mentioning.

Its the next bubble.

I guess its too complex to explain like that, but teens have the attention span of a gnat and little expendable income, so fortnite is going to die before star citizen stops generating income.

I want you to think about how absurdly successful Fortnite is and how it's still F2P, and then try to reconcile that with your belief that there's no money to be made from them because they have "little expendable income". If you really think that there's no money to be made from kids and teens because they personally don't have disposable income, then you're a fool, and have no business talking about monetizing customers.

Not to mention that your suggestion of them having limited attention spans is the exact reason why a storefront to go alongside with Fortnite would have the potential to be successful as they'll be exposed to other games to grab their attention when it wanes when it comes to Fortnite.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I want you to think about how absurdly successful Fortnite is and how it's still F2P, and then try to reconcile that with your belief that there's no money to be made from them because they have "little expendable income". If you really think that there's no money to be made from kids and teens because they personally don't have disposable income, then you're a fool, and have no business talking about monetizing customers.

Not to mention that your suggestion of them having limited attention spans is the exact reason why a storefront to go alongside with Fortnite would have the potential to be successful as they'll be exposed to other games to grab their attention when it wanes when it comes to Fortnite.

Most of my disposible income goes towards stupid shit my kids want

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Also, if anyone doubts that this increases competition, this happened on Friday

New Revenue Share Tiers and other updates to the Steam Distribution Agreement

With that in mind, we’ve created new revenue share tiers for games that hit certain revenue levels. Starting from October 1, 2018 (i.e. revenues prior to that date are not included), when a game makes over $10 million on Steam, the revenue share for that application will adjust to 75%/25% on earnings beyond $10M. At $50 million, the revenue share will adjust to 80%/20% on earnings beyond $50M. Revenue includes game packages, DLC, in-game sales, and Community Marketplace game fees. Our hope is this change will reward the positive network effects generated by developers of big games, further aligning their interests with Steam and the community.

While the timing might be coincidental, there's been an increasing decentralization to the market for a couple years now and this is just adding onto it. Steam is needing to lower their cut to adjust for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

Just to put things into perspective: Star Citizen currently has gathered $200 millions in more than 6 years of crowdfunding, Fortnite reached $1 billion in less than a year and that was back in June. We are probably at more than $2 billions now considering May alone was $318 millions. This is like digital oil money, it's ridiculous.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Just to put things into perspective: Star Citizen currently has gathered $200 millions in more than 6 years of crowdfunding, Fortnite reached $1 billion in less than a year and that was back in June. We are probably at more than $2 billions now considering May alone was $318 millions. This is like digital oil money, it's ridiculous.

Alternatives to fortnite will be brought onto the market, the market will fragment and individual games will never again reach fortnite potential.

After the market is split across dozens of games, it will be far harder to generate income from them (compare a stream with 50k viewers to one with 500k), and that will be it.

Its easy to pay overhead costs and monetize a F2P game when all of the target audience is playing it, when only 5% of the audience is playing it, not so much.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Alternatives to fortnite will be brought onto the market, the market will fragment and individual games will never again reach fortnite potential.

After the market is split across dozens of games, it will be far harder to generate income from them (compare a stream with 50k viewers to one with 500k), and that will be it.

Its easy to pay overhead costs and monetize a F2P game when all of the target audience is playing it, when only 5% of the audience is playing it, not so much.
These are some disillusions here.

Gaming has only been becoming more and more mainstream.

Gaming was the "nerd" hobby. Now it's everywhere.

Society has a tendency to follow the pack, especially with Social media the way it is.

The next break-out game has the potential to blow past Fortnite.

Teenagers aren't the only demographic playing the game.

Yes, it's a bubble, but it's not going to "pop" and cause any significant harm, this isn't the stock market where people lose their livelihoods. So what if the game loses 50% or more of its playerbase? It's guaranteed to happen eventually. It still made the cash that it has and it can be reinvested into the future. The Epic Store isn't going to fail just because FortNite loses players. They made the cash and they've been putting it back into their other products (as well as FN).

You seem to be rooting for Epic to fail for some reason, maybe you hate FortNite? The company is still a great company and makes an amazing engine.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I think you quoted the wrong post, you are talking about nothing I mentioned.

Did I mention any harm being caused? Didn't think so.

Where do I seem to be rooting for Epic to fail?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Yeah dude, just look at League of Legends. Riot games is going to be going out of business any day now... any day now...

The overhead to this shit is negligible even at these slashed revenue cuts. And even if they weren't, they'd maid it up in increased exposure to their games and whatever else they can harvest from the userbase.

Epic has their finger on the next generation of gamers (the largest in history) and you think that them spinning that off into a storefront in a market that is dominated by an aging increasingly irrelevant near-monopoly is a bad idea... Come on dude.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yeah dude, just look at League of Legends. Riot games is going to be going out of business any day now... any day now...

21% decrease in revenue for LoL.

If you don't think that impacts Riot, you are insane.

Are they going out of business? No, I never said that.

Are they losing people, and along with it interest from 3rd parties, streaming revenue, ... ? Absolutely.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
21% decrease in revenue for LoL.

If you don't think that impacts Riot, you are insane.

Are they going out of business? No, I never said that.

Are they losing people, and along with it interest from 3rd parties, streaming revenue, ... ? Absolutely.

Epic could lose 1 million users a month and still have more players than WoW after sustaining those losses for over two years straight, with an increasing % of whales supporting it with every loss.

Your argument was that this would have no effect on Steam because the kids playing Fortnite have no money and it's all just a bubble that's going to burst. The same kids that are spending over 300million dollars in a single month.

Then you switch over into it being about the market becoming too segmented to be profitable, which isn't the case at all.

Then you switch over to Fortnite's going to die when other games come out, (Neverminding that doing something like this would capitalize the userbase before something like that could happen) despite the fact that the game is big enough to coast along for half a decade even if hemorrhaging users.

You're pulling conjecture out of your ass to counteract clear strengths that support the start of a business.

You're coming across as someone that is arguing against something just because he doesn't like the idea of it. Either because it goes against something he likes (Steam) or because he doesn't like the source of it (those kids and their Fortnite *shakes fist*)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As long as Epic doesn't try to make games exclusive to their platform, this is a good thing.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The thing is Steam is much more than just a storefront for developpers, it comes with a lot of tools to monitor and analyze your selling data, it comes with a bunch of things to support your game like online matchmaking or modding and obviously it being Steam, it comes with more reach than other stores to sell your game to people who might not have heard of your game otherwise. And then for the user, Steam does a lot of cool stuff that no other store does, or does poorly, like refunds, family sharing, offline mode, gamepad support and so on.

But now all these cucks making pixel art shovelware indie games that kept whining about how "Steam's not worth the 30%" can go fuck themselves off to the Epic Store and see how it works out on another store.

And it might lead to good things eventually.

Exactly. That 30% Valve takes isn’t in a vacuum. The tools and value they bring for that extra percentage makes up for it for most of not all developers, especially Indie.

The last thing consumers want now are more clients and disparate software funneling systems. That goes for all entertainment channels.

• 2Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Epic could lose 1 million users a month and still have more players than WoW after sustaining those losses for over two years straight, with an increasing % of whales supporting it with every loss.

Your argument was that this would have no effect on Steam because the kids playing Fortnite have no money and it's all just a bubble that's going to burst. The same kids that are spending over 300million dollars in a single month.

Then you switch over into it being about the market becoming too segmented to be profitable, which isn't the case at all.

Then you switch over to Fortnite's going to die when other games come out, (Neverminding that doing something like this would capitalize the userbase before something like that could happen) despite the fact that the game is big enough to coast along for half a decade even if hemorrhaging users.

You're pulling conjecture out of your ass to counteract clear strengths that support the start of a business.

You're coming across as someone that is arguing against something just because he doesn't like the idea of it. Either because it goes against something he likes (Steam) or because he doesn't like the source of it (those kids and their Fortnite *shakes fist*)

The individual kids playing fortnite don't have budget.

Its easy to run a F2P game with 10.000.000 players, it is not easy to run a F2P game with 500.000 players. They certainly won't be anywhere near each other quality-wise.

The market will fragment and the income each individual game generates will not allow the investments that Fortnites playerbase does, nor will it generate as much income from sponsor deals, streaming and everything the like.

With companies like Blizzard moving into the same market, it is inevitable that the pie is going to be cut into pieces, more pieces there are, lower the quality and financial means of each piece.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can you please make another post explaining how everyone's slice of pie shrinks anytime someone new sits at the table?

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The individual kids playing fortnite don't have budget.

Its easy to run a F2P game with 10.000.000 players, it is not easy to run a F2P game with 500.000 players. They certainly won't be anywhere near each other quality-wise.

The market will fragment and the income each individual game generates will not allow the investments that Fortnites playerbase does, nor will it generate as much income from sponsor deals, streaming and everything the like.

With companies like Blizzard moving into the same market, it is inevitable that the pie is going to be cut into pieces, more pieces there are, lower the quality and financial means of each piece.

You're a frustrating person to talk to simply because you have 0 intelligence in the matter yet you feel confident enough to be an expert. Your arguments are fragmented. Dom said it exactly right. You're conjuring arguments just to argue and for why? You either LOVE steam, HATE Epic, or HATE the FortNite kids.

There's nothing about this that's bad yet you're pulling pie from the sky to make it sound like Epic is going to go out of business over this move.

Exactly. That 30% Valve takes isn’t in a vacuum. The tools and value they bring for that extra percentage makes up for it for most of not all developers, especially Indie.

The last thing consumers want now are more clients and disparate software funneling systems. That goes for all entertainment channels.

Epic offers a lot as well. Maybe not the matchmaking part, but with Gamesparks, Gamelift, Etc, that perk isn't as necessary for game devs anymore. And the Matchmaking Steam offers isn't comparable to dedicated servers anyway. Its fine for hosted servers but most games these days require some sort of dedicated server backend which Steam doesn't offer.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
You're a frustrating person to talk to simply because you have 0 intelligence in the matter yet you feel confident enough to be an expert. Your arguments are fragmented. Dom said it exactly right. You're conjuring arguments just to argue and for why? You either LOVE steam, HATE Epic, or HATE the FortNite kids.

There's nothing about this that's bad yet you're pulling pie from the sky to make it sound like Epic is going to go out of business over this move.

I made a remark about steam, and one about fortnite. I didn't combine them into one phrase, nor did I mean to combine them.

One topic is steam, the other is fortnite, my post about steam was about steam, my posts about the F2P market are about the F2P market.

I hope that clears it up for you. Try scrolling back and reading what was posted.

I've not said anything about Epic going out of business, you are pulling that out of thin air.