EQ Classic? Not really.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Dunno who you played with, Big P, but my former guild made a name for themselves in part by steamrolling other guilds and taking content. So did the rest of the big name guilds in the early, non-instanced days of EQ. The only reason P99 has such a problem with this behaviour is that line that used to separate "raiding" guilds and "casual" guilds is all but gone at this point. You'd have to be a particularly slow monkey child to not be able to kill the likes of Naggy, Vox, Trak, etc.

Yes, there were a great many players on servers back in the day. No, there weren't 5-10 guilds competing for content, at least not on the servers I played on. There were usually 2 or 3, and the only thing that separated them from kills was whatever time zone they happened to play in, or whatever other guild rolled over them for the content. Nothing's changed from then til now, it's just easier to kill everything because there are no unknowns anymore (and eqemu is much more forgiving than live ever was).

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
80% of those players were running around in Lake Rathe and shit like that. It's kind of hilarious of you to accuse me of not having played classic EQ and then in the next sentence you display you ignorance of the defining difference between emulated EQ and actual classic EQ. The only thing worse than a "you clearly didn't <something>" douchebag is when they take it to the next level by following up that fateful sentence with a declaration of utter idiocy like you did. If you think there's no difference in player habits between live classic EQ and P99, you have no business trying to flame other people's knowledge of classic EQ. Please obtain intelligence before posting.
Bro what server you play on? I played on Sol Ro and all the popular/high level dungeons where always packed to the gills with every single named spawn camped by a full group.
Dunno who you played with, Big P, but my former guild made a name for themselves in part by steamrolling other guilds and taking content. So did the rest of the big name guilds in the early, non-instanced days of EQ. The only reason P99 has such a problem with this behaviour is that line that used to separate "raiding" guilds and "casual" guilds is all but gone at this point. You'd have to be a particularly slow monkey child to not be able to kill the likes of Naggy, Vox, Trak, etc.

Yes, there were a great many players on servers back in the day. No, there weren't 5-10 guilds competing for content, at least not on the servers I played on. There were usually 2 or 3, and the only thing that separated them from kills was whatever time zone they happened to play in, or whatever other guild rolled over them for the content. Nothing's changed from then til now, it's just easier to kill everything because there are no unknowns anymore (and eqemu is much more forgiving than live ever was).
Obviously not in vanilla EQ, but on Sol Ro by the time Velious rolled around and especially during Luclin we easily had 7-8 guilds(half of them being filthy euros) clearing raid content. Not everyone was clearing ST at the same time but every single raid mob/zone(from Nagafen to Vulak) was contested by rival guilds.

Just accept the fact that classic/progression EQ servers attract the worst player base imaginable. I played on Vulak and raided back from when it was first released until right before SoV opened up and the raiding guilds on it where absolute filth. Non stop trying to fuck each other over combined with massive exploiting/cheating was the norm. You want to raid and kill dragons in classic EQ? Deal with the scum that comes with it.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Bro what server you play on? I played on Sol Ro and all the popular/high level dungeons where always packed to the gills with every single named spawn camped by a full group.

Obviously not in vanilla EQ, but on Sol Ro by the time Velious rolled around and especially during Luclin we easily had 7-8 guilds(half of them being filthy euros) clearing raid content. Not everyone was clearing ST at the same time but every single raid mob/zone(from Nagafen to Vulak) was contested by rival guilds.

Just accept the fact that classic/progression EQ servers attract the worst player base imaginable. I played on Vulak and raided back from when it was first released until right before SoV opened up and the raiding guilds on it where absolute filth. Non stop trying to fuck each other over combined with massive exploiting/cheating was the norm. You want to raid and kill dragons in classic EQ? Deal with the scum that comes with it.
I was in Echoes of Elysium on Vulak. I quit because I really was sick of poopsocking every damn mob. When Luclin rolled around we had every single mob that dropped Orbs for VT keys on lock. Ssra and VT were ours. And we still dropped Vulak, All of Kael, CT and World Dragons the moment they spawned. We had almost 100% of the content yet there were about 4 guilds raiding under us. The leader was an egotistical basement dweller who felt entitled to all the loot and the batphone was an SMS messaging system. Worst gaming of my EQ life. just felt cool to see all the raid mobs again. VT is just as bad as I remember.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Haha I was in EoE too. The guild was filled scum that are the prime example of the EQ classic community with Damdor being the paradigm of the basement dwelling neckbeard retard.

I only raided/poopsocked with them for about 6 months and I look back on that time with shame.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Dunno who you played with, Big P, but my former guild made a name for themselves in part by steamrolling other guilds and taking content. So did the rest of the big name guilds in the early, non-instanced days of EQ. The only reason P99 has such a problem with this behaviour is that line that used to separate "raiding" guilds and "casual" guilds is all but gone at this point. You'd have to be a particularly slow monkey child to not be able to kill the likes of Naggy, Vox, Trak,
The reason p99 has a problem at the high end raid game is because they allow (and encourage) trading accounts for plat. Basically what this means is that if you are rich enough in plat, you can purchase multiple aid forces for the sole purpose of camping them out at certain targets.

P99 made several miscalculations. one being allowing classic nerfed items in the game for a limitd time (ex fungi staff, Manastone). Obviously those who were there on release day rushed their asses to the camps to capitolize on this fact. These items sell for absurd amounts and are responsible for trashing the server's economy. Some individuals were literally able to farm tens of millions of plat in manastones... also, early exploits (invis pulling etc) by certain in-the-know groups allowed plat farming to a ridiculous extent. You had people solo pulling the spore king for fungi tunics... These groups purchased well geared alts and increased their guilds' capability to camp raid targets. Because there is no competition, once they are fully geared they also control the flow of certain items (trak BPs, Legs, VP gear etc) and obtain even more plat, to buy even more accounts, to camp even more raid geared alts at raid targets, and all shootin some b-ball outside of the school, when a couple of guys who looked up to no good started making trouble in my neighbourhood etc etc.

Long story short... P99s raid scene is fucked because of design decisions regarding the economy.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Surely you aren't implying that the situation I outlined that is occurring on P99 is in any way similar to the eBay RMT of classic EQ? That would be totally retarded.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Haha I was in EoE too. The guild was filled scum that are the prime example of the EQ classic community with Damdor being the paradigm of the basement dwelling neckbeard retard.

I only raided/poopsocked with them for about 6 months and I look back on that time with shame.
His the reason a modern day EQ would tank. He was so selfish with content. Has the social skills of a rock and the personality of white latex paint.

The guild bank had tons of AoW loot, and I mean a ton. Id say 8-9 extra BoC's Floating around and legs/masks/helms for any alt that even remotely makes it to raids. I even had to 4 box at night to down stuff some officer's alt could get gear instead of the next guild in progression.

Deep down I know there is RMT happening. I'm fine with how RMT worked back when EQ first came out. Now its guilds farming content for plat and items to sell to the masses that don't have the chance of getting said loot unless they are in the "in" crowd, or buy plat. I see this with TMO on P99 as we speak. Platlord is being supplied by highend raiders with items and plat.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why would platlord need TMO's help? I know people who farmed bags full of Manastones... (One guy literally farmed 41 or something absurd like that) and can single handedly inflate/deflate p99s supply and demand at will...

They currently sell for 250-300kpp. That's somewhere around 12,000,000pp.
Plat sells for $2.25/1k.
On the low end that's $562.20 for a Manastone. That's $23,062... $27,675 on the high end.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
His the reason a modern day EQ would tank. He was so selfish with content. Has the social skills of a rock and the personality of white latex paint.

The guild bank had tons of AoW loot, and I mean a ton. Id say 8-9 extra BoC's Floating around and legs/masks/helms for any alt that even remotely makes it to raids. I even had to 4 box at night to down stuff some officer's alt could get gear instead of the next guild in progression.

Deep down I know there is RMT happening. I'm fine with how RMT worked back when EQ first came out. Now its guilds farming content for plat and items to sell to the masses that don't have the chance of getting said loot unless they are in the "in" crowd, or buy plat. I see this with TMO on P99 as we speak. Platlord is being supplied by highend raiders with items and plat.
lol I remember when Kunark launched I ended up buying cazic gloves for necro epic for like 20k or so only to find out that fucktard officer Wulias had a pair himself and was about to use it for his necro alt. Damdorr was a straight piece of shit who abused the hell out of macroquest to train Faceless non stop whenever they contested a spawn. He also loved to talk non stop shit in teamspeak about how much better he compared to Faceless when all he did was warp around zones pulling massive trains.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
lol I remember when Kunark launched I ended up buying cazic gloves for necro epic for like 20k or so only to find out that fucktard officer Wulias had a pair himself and was about to use it for his necro alt. Damdorr was a straight piece of shit who abused the hell out of macroquest to train Faceless non stop whenever they contested a spawn. He also loved to talk non stop shit in teamspeak about how much better he compared to Faceless when all he did was warp around zones pulling massive trains.
I always looked back at my EQ and WoW periods and I can't remember much from WoW but remember everything from EQ. Its amazing how little of my memories were positive. It sucks, but Bind on Pickup/No Drop and instances removed these peoples ability to be utter douchbags that affects the quality of game time for ten times the amount of players on the server than in their guild. Even sadder is how indifferent most members were to them because if they said anything, no more raiding for them.

I graduated High school over 12 years ago, but Classic EQ EMU's/progression server brings all the attitudes and behaviors of a bunch of snotty children who think their opinions matter with no recourse for their actions. EQ is way too cliquey for my enjoyment. I always wanted EQclassic, but I don't think it would be any different than any progression server or P99.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Long awaited update. YL posted this last night.

Yeahlight_sl said:
Deathrydar_sl said:
It's unfortunate! It sucks! But think about those that have put so many hours into it.......YL is probablydevastated!
Quite the opposite. Although I felt obligated to try to deliver an authentic EverQuest classic server, I realized back in early 2012 that it was no longer a great idea:

During a private discussion with Harakiri on February 08_sl said:
I always assumed that if we created the perfect reproduction server, players would flock from EQEmu-based projects, but I am not really confident about this anymore; why would players who put up with that nonsense be willing to abandon their investment for a server that offers them--in their eyes--the same experience? We may have greater success if we offer players a new, exciting experience in the classic shell.
Based on the countless interactions I have had over the years, most people fall into four distinct categories: Those who loved the game, but played it casually; those who loved the game and understand it at a high-level; those who did not play the game during the classic era; and those who played the game, were not very good at it, idolized players such as Furor and now see these servers as their opportunity to be the center of attention. The latter is by far the largest and certainly the loudest, but I could not care less about their interests or opinions of this project.

The longer I am away from this project, the more excited I get about returning to it. Although I mentioned my motivation to create a completely original world was questionable, I am now anxious to jump into it. Everyone here certainly misses classic EverQuest, but I do not believe the classic EverQuest experience is achievable until you are thrown into a world you know nothing about.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Custom content server makes no sense to me. There are already some good ones, but they aren't popular, and they aren't even as good as just the original EQ.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Custom content server makes no sense to me. There are already some good ones, but they aren't popular, and they aren't even as good as just the original EQ.
What don't you understand about that comment? Maybe I can elaborate on it for you.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I understand what he is saying, but I just don't think it is a worthwhile endeavour. It's like Shards of Dalaya, all that work to change the game away from what people actually liked. I hear they struggle to reach 100 players at peak hours now. Even when I played it was only a few hundred. I know popularity isn't everything and not even much of an indication of how good the server is.. But still, I think that people who want an easier experience to EQ, already have dozens of games to choose from. And they are modern too, flashy looking, sound great, work on any hardware, don't need any messing about editing ini files or whatever. GW2, WoW, Rift, etc.. just load up and play.

And then the people who are prepared to put in work and effort and who like the original EQ, are mostly only interested in just that... the original EQ. That's what bugged me the most about Shards of Dalaya. Originally it was a righteous path, they had the original EQ and they just tweaked a few things mostly to get SOE's lawyers off their back. But they just kept changing it and changing it and then after Wiz left, it got constantly tinkered with by idiot wannabe 'devs' who are more interested in tinkering than they are in having a solid game for us to play. It's now lost all its charm imo. They now squash all the players in to just a few starter areas, there is almost instant travel anywhere just like the PoK books, the combat is easier, the classes are stronger, you can 2 box too, there are no spell drops, no research and no components for pets etc, so it's just another 'streamlined' (aka: dumbed down) game where you blast through the levels to max, and you can do that in a month. And then its just another raid game.

It's possible this team could do a better job though. But still I think they would have a better chance with a true classic EQ, because we still don't have one! EQ itself is nothing like it was any more. ProjectEQ allows infinite boxes and hacks. The only thing that comes close is P99 and EQ Mac, but both of those have quite major issues. So there is no good classic EQ server for people to get behind. I hoped this would be it, but it's never going to be if they have those kinds of thoughts already. This sounds like it will be just another one of those freaky custom servers on the EQ Emu list, full of self importance even though they only have 90 players.

Zaide

TLP Idealist

I've still never found out who you were on Vulak
frown.png