EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Man I kinda wish I had known about this back in October. Ive always wanted to progress through GoD and Omens normally as that was when I was having problems with finding time to play and ended up getting frustrated and burnt out trying to keep up. Its kinda cool to see some of these vids. Do you have a collection of past fights as you progressed?

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Okay well It looks as though I may have to box in order to really catch up with the joneses. In the past the only "boxing" ive done is an outside buff bot. Aka an easy alt tab. I have been doing some searching and alot of people seem to say SK / Nec / Bard running Tank merc / Heal merc / Heal merc is a pretty good boxing set up. However, I have absolutely no clue how I would twist songs / Cast dots effectively frantically alt tabbing.

For those that box are you guys just that fast at alt tabbing that you can manage healing and doing damage all at the same time, or do you use 3rd party software to help?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Man I kinda wish I had known about this back in October. Ive always wanted to progress through GoD and Omens normally as that was when I was having problems with finding time to play and ended up getting frustrated and burnt out trying to keep up. Its kinda cool to see some of these vids. Do you have a collection of past fights as you progressed?
Yeah we've got over 200 raid videos from classic to omens right now. They're on the YouTube link in my signature.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Okay well It looks as though I may have to box in order to really catch up with the joneses. In the past the only "boxing" ive done is an outside buff bot. Aka an easy alt tab. I have been doing some searching and alot of people seem to say SK / Nec / Bard running Tank merc / Heal merc / Heal merc is a pretty good boxing set up. However, I have absolutely no clue how I would twist songs / Cast dots effectively frantically alt tabbing.

For those that box are you guys just that fast at alt tabbing that you can manage healing and doing damage all at the same time, or do you use 3rd party software to help?
Bards auto play songs now. I forget the command, but you just setup your songs, hit a button and check on it once and awhile in case a missed note. Might not even stop after a missed note either, I forget. But I remember bards twisting skills being automated via ingame commands. So many people have carpal tunnel now for nothing.

Needless

Toe Sucker
It's /melody <spell gem #s>

so.. /melody 3 4 8 to cast spells in those gem slots.

It also restarts when a missed note hits, which is nice for AFK leveling skills

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So if I test copied my 95 monk, can you still delevel down?
rolleyes.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I only played EQ to about level 40 back at release and then stopped.

Given this situation, how hard/worthwhile would it be for someone like me to start up from basically scratch?

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Some people usehttp://isboxer.com/

Sterling

El Presidente
I only played EQ to about level 40 back at release and then stopped.

Given this situation, how hard/worthwhile would it be for someone like me to start up from basically scratch?
It might as well be an entirely different game at this point from when you were playing. The game has changed to be much more like the other games that have come out since. Mercs and other things have made it so you can do stuff without a group or at least you won't need 6 people or to box 6-7 accounts to do group content. Leveling is easier by many orders of magnitude from back then, and you weren't around for AAs so there's that as well. Also gear progression has gone cookie cutter mode the way other games had gone. Where you have tiers of gear that are each +2 betterer stats type of upgrades now. That being said I stopped during OoW and went back some during SoD-HoT and it was fairly fun, even with the changes. Haven't played since though, although I might give it a whirl at some point.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Going between EQMac/Live really is like playing two different games. On Al'kabor I feel like a master of the game but as soon as I log into Test I immediately start drooling and shitting myself.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
It might as well be an entirely different game at this point from when you were playing. The game has changed to be much more like the other games that have come out since. Mercs and other things have made it so you can do stuff without a group or at least you won't need 6 people or to box 6-7 accounts to do group content. Leveling is easier by many orders of magnitude from back then, and you weren't around for AAs so there's that as well. Also gear progression has gone cookie cutter mode the way other games had gone. Where you have tiers of gear that are each +2 betterer stats type of upgrades now. That being said I stopped during OoW and went back some during SoD-HoT and it was fairly fun, even with the changes. Haven't played since though, although I might give it a whirl at some point.
The difficulty has severely ramped up with the VoA expansion. They brought back zones with heavy see invis and no safe spots so unlike in HoT and SoD you can't just go to a camp, you have to clear to the camp, and then you have to keep up with the spawn at the camp.

RoF introduced group missions that are basically impossible without raid gear, and even with it you better be at the top of your game to have any chance. I haven't tried them all, but the second group hero tasks (there are two per zone, the first one is easy, the second one much harder) in Xorbb, Evantil, and Grelleth are just utterly impossible unless you're in heavy VoA raid gear.

Sterling

El Presidente
The difficulty has severely ramped up with the VoA expansion. They brought back zones with heavy see invis and no safe spots so unlike in HoT and SoD you can't just go to a camp, you have to clear to the camp, and then you have to keep up with the spawn at the camp.

RoF introduced group missions that are basically impossible without raid gear, and even with it you better be at the top of your game to have any chance. I haven't tried them all, but the second group hero tasks (there are two per zone, the first one is easy, the second one much harder) in Xorbb, Evantil, and Grelleth are just utterly impossible unless you're in heavy VoA raid gear.
This almost makes me want to fire it up again!

Needless

Toe Sucker
Going between EQMac/Live really is like playing two different games. On Al'kabor I feel like a master of the game but as soon as I log into Test I immediately start drooling and shitting myself.
Do you play EQMac on a mac or on pc? It sounds fun but i hated how it felt trying to actually play it on my macbook

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I play it on a Macbook Pro, and it's funny you feel that way, because I hate playing the game on my Windows parition :p

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just a heads up, rumor is Test will be consolidated into live servers sometime this year. They will allow transfers off to live realms.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haven't rumors like that for test been around forever? I remember stuff like that when I was playing still.