EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, I have been reading up on multiboxing combos. From what I have gathered, mage and mecro pets can tank like champions.
I have also read something about Shamans being able to buff pets so they get this huge damage proc (1kish).
So, with this unconfirmed knowledge, I was looking at quad boxing, Mage, Necro, Shaman, Bard, 2 cleric mercs...thoughts?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Almost any combination will work now-a-days with mercs for a general playthrough. The only important question is what do you want to do "long term" or at the "high end". The top level merc will do "ok" tanking high end GROUP mobs, but will almost certainly require a slow, and you using 2 cleric mercs will help also. The only time your group matters is on cutting edge content and/or raid type stuff.

Shamans get this buff that is a proc for melee classes, and pets interestingly. It really does boost DPS in a pretty solid way. Not sure about the latest versions of it but you did need to keep it up consistently which can be pretty annoying until you get some buff extension aa and gear. The only other thing I might mention is that the pets may have a hard time holding aggro if you don't get subtlety and if you try to burn anything too quickly.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I've exp'd at 100 with necro pet tanks and they did amazing, without any aggro problems. It's pretty ridiculous how much better they seem than mercenaries. That quad box team would probably be beast as fuck.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
it's the Panther line. it starts off being a 1 minute duration single target buff but eventually it becomes a group buff.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First, quad boxing is about as fun as punching yourself in the balls repeatedly... but if you are the masochistic type, your 4 chosen classes will rape face. The combination of Mage, Shaman, and Necro is probably the most common 3-box you find out there, for good reason. Add a Bard to that and it is a scary 4-some.

Mage= Sick dps and boss tank pet. Call of the Hero, damage shields, and pet toys for the rest of the group bring some nice synergy to the group.
Necro= Sick dps, adequate off-tank pet, roots, snares, wipe recovery, etc.
Shaman= Will add a tremendous amount of overall dps to the group via buffs and melee proc dps (great for pet heavy groups). Having haste and slows gives the option of adding a player tank to the group.
Bard= Pulls, crowd control, limited down time, enhanced dps across the board.

Remember, pets tanking will maintain agro, except when a player character is in close proximity to the mob. Meaning, you cannot add a melee dps player and expect the pet to have agro. Proximity agro is a bitch and something you have to manage if you are going to pet-tank.

Titan_sl

shitlord
Fippy is Legit, but its a bit top heavy. You can always see people in General Chat from 20+ asking for more in whatever zone. Raiding wise, probably 6? Maybe 7 raid guilds at this point.

Citizen - Killed Mayong
Twisted Legion - Kill Mayong
Rosengard -In Demi
Theory of Everything - About to be in Demi
Ascendancy - Beaten Anguish
Darkblood of Solusek Ro - Beaten Anguish
Proficito - In Demi(Atleast, they've beaten Tacvi)

Mind you, Depths opened up about 3 weeks ago, so, they're all still pretty current for raiding. Groups at higher level much easier to come by though

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
Alternatives to time locked progression servers is Test server. Free gold status, /testcopy, and The Faceless Order who is also about to be in Demi.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
So which server would you say has the most population? I'm really craving some MMO. Seriously thinking about either WoW or EQ

Nitsude_sl

shitlord
So which server would you say has the most population? I'm really craving some MMO. Seriously thinking about either WoW or EQ
WoW is entertaining for about a week, but really drags on when trying to hit max level. I recently went back to go from 85 to 90, and found myself losing interest around 88.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah this is about the time I lost interest as well. It would not be so bad if the dungeon queues were less than 30-40 min like they were on my cluster. That was the only fun thing, even if it was doing the same dungeons over and over again. But the whole quest grind thing can fuck off already.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From a rumor thread on the SOE forums about Rain of Fear Tier 3+ content:
The facts:
1. RoF was released Nov 28. There were 3 portals in SL with nothing but the base, and the NPCs at them saying that they were building them. The big shard in the middle was askew and not really big.
2. Exactly 30 days later, on Dec 28, the 3 portals became 1/3 built, the NPCs near them started giving hints about their destinations, the big shard became bigger and vertical, and a new NPC appeared near it talking about the Heart of Fear.
3. Exactly 30 days later, on Jan 27, the 3 portals became 2/3 built and gained emotes for trying to enter them, the big shard became even bigger and also gained an emote for clicking on its supports.
4. Feb 26 is 30 days after Jan 27. (what? it IS a fact! )
5. In the podcast after the release of RoF SOE producer mentioned that there will be additional content releases between the expansions.
6. RoF T2 contents ends in a mystery: an entity named Lupex steals the fear shard that was used by King Xorbb and disappears. The lore text suggests that we will soon meet Lupex again. King Xorbb doesn't have any of the endboss attributes, that whole ordeal was just a story of 2 halfings getting into something much bigger than they intended. The main storyline of the expansion (assembling the crystallized essence of Fear to bring back Cazic-Thule) remains unresolved.
7. The main artwork for RoF depicts Terris Thule, Morell Thule, Brell and Tunare fighting against an army of what appears to be Alarans in a place that looks similar to Plane of Fear. None of the content of the T1 or T2 zones relates to that in any way. None of those 4 gods appear in T1 or T2.
8. Multiple SOE devs mentioned on twitter/facebook that they are working on new zones. When asked about letting players test it, the answer was 'we'll consider it'.
9. EQ client supports 5 new zones that are not patched in yet (1 of them was patched to Beta near the end of RoF beta testing): Chelsith Reborn, Plane of Shadow, Plane of Mischief (new), The Heart of Fear, and Burned Woods. The first 4 of them are perfect match for the destinations suggested by the NPCs at the incomplete portals and the big shard.
10. Shard's Landing uses Terris Thule, Shissar Emperor and some other models that currently do not spawn there.
11. New focuses higher than T2 and new spells with names and descriptions suggesting new boss fights have been added in the last patch.

The speculation:

1. New content is most definitely coming.
2. There will be tier(s) higher than T2.
3. Portals to at least 3 new zones should open on Feb 26.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Isn't prog raiding on test pretty much ruined by the fact that tradeable better than raid loot drops randomly anywhere in the world? At least at this point the prog servers are basically equivalent to how things were when those expansions were live.

And I take it only EOF survived on Vulak. Is Dandor still around? I always felt like he was only in it for the drama and would jet once instancing took over.

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
Isn't prog raiding on test pretty much ruined by the fact that tradeable better than raid loot drops randomly anywhere in the world? At least at this point the prog servers are basically equivalent to how things were when those expansions were live.

And I take it only EOF survived on Vulak. Is Dandor still around? I always felt like he was only in it for the drama and would jet once instancing took over.
Doesn't ruin it at all. With the level locks in place, raid progression and gear equips you better than any defiant does. The only perk on defiant is the heroic stats really. AC/hp/mana, focus' etc are all better on raid gear from Time+. It's insane to see how much more powerful your toon is raid geared than with many of the items you can buy or any defiant.

Sterling

El Presidente
Progression Raiding is just generally awkward anyways due to increased skillcaps and early spells being upgraded no? I guess after a certain point the spells thing doesn't matter but the skillcap thing has to make a decent amount of difference.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It's pretty pathetic in the classic era for sure. And its a bit of a steamroll effect: players are more knowledgeable, shit dies way faster, you take less damage, you regen faster, the interface is better, MQ exists, respawns in dungeons are still FUCKING SLOW (25 minutes) and so on. As a result instead of dead side lower guk holding five or six groups comfortably as you may remember, here one group can take out everything from ghoul lord to frenzied and leave nothing but green shit for the rest of the zone. But that doesn't stop 100+ people from piling into the zone and literally only having the spawns within their room to kill and then go afk for 20 minutes.

But of course this does not stop the same handful of idiots crying for "AT LEAST SIX MONTH LOCKOUTS" and "END THE GAME AT VELIOUS FOREVER!" over and over and over even when all the evidence shows that classic eq is laughably trivial poorly designed dogshit with the current EQ base code and player knowledge. The raid game will be pathetic joke all the way until TSS - the major overhaul that caused most of the above.

The funny thing is, I was playing during the era I truly did not give a shit about - classic eq, yeah, I did all that already. And I did it when you couldn't clear VP with 9 people at level 55 that didn't even bother wearing resist gear. I was more interested in the later stuff that I didn't play but, god, actually getting to that later stuff with that fucking 3 month lockout cured me of all desire to play EQ. Especially once AA was put in and I killed my first blue mob and got less than a % of XP for it. Holy fuck.

I also fucked myself by falling into the trap of two boxing, which turned into three because life was miserable without a tank. God that shit was awful. Most frustrating shit I've ever done.

And Drede, lol. So not only do you have the uber buffs to player power from later expansions, you also have massively improved loot before you even set foot into a raid zone. Unless you're raiding with two groups you'd have to start at Faydwer to not be laughably trivial. On prog server with its slow ass leveling and no defiant loot all of the raids died in less than two weeks of opening all the way through Mayong. How can test be anything but a snore fest?

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
We don't use or allow high lvl buffs or any gear outside of our current progression. Anything we are able to control to not trivialize it, we do. No defiant is allowed, period. New apps sometimes raid with empty slots or stuff from the guild bank just to be in era. We keep up with what things are allowed and when on Progression servers, so we can stay sorta in line with them. Biggest difference is the benefits of test server, and the fact that we can move on to another expansion as soon as we complete the current one and want to.