EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have full faith that if SOE shook up Test they would allow transfers off. They did it about a year ago actually.

I tried it tonight. Didn't really like it. My issues were:

1) The world is empty. Zero players in Greater Faydark for example, so not only does it feel dead, but you have no chance of making a group. And that is on one of the busiest servers. As I've said before, if you are going to solo your way through an MMO then you may as well just play one of the newer ones which are designed specifically for that.

2) I had no motivation to 'work' on my character because everyone is already level 90+ and it just feels all wrong. I liked being able to play hard and stay ahead of the crowd. Now it's like busting your balls so get fit and run the 6 minute mile. Nobody gives a shit. And everyone else is already doing everything with an army of mercs.

3) The couple of higher level players I spoke to sounded totally depressed, and talked about how all the content is super easy now, including the new expansion which is like a cross between WoW and a golf game. If you want a challenge, best to find P99 they said. Uarghh.

4) The technology is ancient. They tidied a few things up but it's still so soooo old compared to what you get used to in modern games. I can't turn my head independently of my body, there is no customization with talent trees and stat points and stuff, everything is fugly and 2d objects all over the place that vanish when you view them side on, barely any sound effects etc. If I'm going to play a butchered dumbed down version of EQ, why not just play Vanguard instead?

5) Everyone I knew is long gone. The cool and talented people I knew who created the top guilds on the server, have since quit and those guilds still remain as top guilds but with recently newbie morons playing who don't even know the name of the person that created the guild and never played the original EQ.

6) There is so much new stuff to learn about, it's almost like a whole new game. There are mercs, missions, charms, all kinds of new shit everywhere you look, and there is nobody to talk to about it. If I was going to 'learn' a new game, I'd rather it really was a new game.

7) People like Fight play it.

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You sound like you just want it easy and handed to you. EQ will not fill that role now or ever. If you do not have friends in EQ then there is no place for you, and we all know 6 boxers don't have friends.

Ruhl

Boner Donor
He's just a whiny fuck that has aspirations of reliving his "glory" days of EQ. You know, hot cyborz with the manginas in the guild & beating his dick with a 12 yr old hammer (swidt qwerty). You mean to tell me the people you played with over a decade ago aren't still playing & no one remembers your awesome character? Well fuck me running, that must mean this game sucks then. Clownshoes

I'm sorry, but... what the fuck were you expecting, exactly?
I wasn't expecting anything, asshole. I was just curious. I at least expected it to play similar to EQ though.

He's just a whiny fuck that has aspirations of reliving his "glory" days of EQ. You know, hot cyborz with the manginas in the guild & beating his dick with a 12 yr old hammer (swidt qwerty). You mean to tell me the people you played with over a decade ago aren't still playing & no one remembers your awesome character? Well fuck me running, that must mean this game sucks then. Clownshoes
Are you always such a stupid cunt? I never once cybered in EQ nor did anyone I ever knew. I think you have it mixed up with SWG or something. I never once used a hammer, nobody I knew were even still playing so nobody would know me, I never had much 'glory' and I never said the game sucks. You are a stupid fucking moron twat. You are utterly pointless on this forum, I hope your real life isn't as pathetic.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh look, the retard got let out of his cage... don't confuse this for me defending EQ in any way, shape, or form. I am no EQ white knight and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Again, this is purely about you.

I'd call you a massive faggot, if it weren't so disrespectful to gay people to lump you in with them. So, I will call you delusional. You are completely and utterly removed from the reality... the reality that you have created for yourself, by ripping open your asshole goatse style, and shit storming everything that has the unfortunate happen-chance of crossing paths with you. That's truth, and that is the business I deal in.

How can you possibly think anyone, and I mean ANYONE wants to hear your opinion on any subject what so ever? Your demented brain is clearly riddled with aids.

Fuck off, bitch.

Hahahaaaa you are so mad that I don't like your shit game that you dedicated your entire pointless life to. Must be painful to realize that everything you achieved in the past several entire of your shitty life is not only meaningless to none gamers, but it's even meaningless to former EQ players. You basically wasted the past several years of your life playing WoW but with a shitty old engine. And all that time you thought you were hardcore. That must hurt.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Christ are AAs fast to get, boxing a 59 mage/bard (what should I 3rd box with it?) and I just afk'ed at bottom of The Hole, went to bed, came back to 30 AA's saved (can't go over; never knew about this).

Trannys
faggot
gay
ripping open your asshole goatse style
aids.
You also seriously need to come out of the closet. Maybe if you put EQ down for a little while you could find yourself a boyfriend? Just do it! You clearly want it up the ass desperately, playing EQ all this time is just your way of living in denial.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Christ are AAs fast to get, boxing a 59 mage/bard (what should I 3rd box with it?) and I just afk'ed at bottom of The Hole, went to bed, came back to 30 AA's saved (can't go over; never knew about this).
there is a massive exp bonus for AA that will scale down until you reach 3000 or so. At the start is like 1000% (info come from 2 expansion ago). Also, consider than after lv70, mobs power start to increase the more you go. Soloing will be a bit harder. Most ppl usually stop leveling every 5 levels and grab the AA they need before lv again

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
I restarted recently on Firiona Vie, and although EQ is completely different than it was in it's early years, the core game is still there. Just with a lot more fluff.

You restart in the tutorial, read up on the new stuff and get a merc going. You will be level 40+ in no time.
I actually started grouping at 46+ because xp tends to go slower vs time spent killing things.

It all depends on what you feel like doing and what your aspirations are.
Yes, a lot of people are 90+, but there are still new people out there leveling, new people that have just the basic understanding of the game. They make good company if you're not powerleveling your char.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hahahaaaa you are so mad that I don't like your shit game that you dedicated your entire pointless life to. Must be painful to realize that everything you achieved in the past several entire of your shitty life is not only meaningless to none gamers, but it's even meaningless to former EQ players. You basically wasted the past several years of your life playing WoW but with a shitty old engine. And all that time you thought you were hardcore. That must hurt.
There you go again, making up your own reality and story. It is pretty creepy as fuck how you try and fabricate some vision of people in real life when they call you out on your shit. You are usually pretty vivid with these made up descriptions too. Do you sit in front of a mirror, for inspiration, as you type this shit out?

Because you are incapable of dealing in reality, I will set the record straight for you. I hadn't played EQ since 2003. After House of Thule launched (2010), I've played EQ the same amount that I have played WoW, the same amount that I played Guild Wars 2, the same amount that I have played any game for that matter... maybe 2 months per expansion, maybe... that is probably being generous.

I do know people that have stuck with EQ though over the years. Without fail, they are some of the nicest, most genuine, and helpful people I have ever met in the online space. So, who the fuck cares what people play or how they spend their time? Nobody.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't worry, once you hit the AA cap, spill over experience will automatically go into your normal experience pool and nothing will be lost. Some people freak out about AFK'er though and might train you.
  • Level 51-90:30 AA cap
  • Level 91-95:50 AA cap
  • Level 96-100: 70 AA cap

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
I tried it tonight. Didn't really like it. My issues were:
6) There is so much new stuff to learn about, it's almost like a whole new game. There are mercs, missions, charms, all kinds of new shit everywhere you look, and there is nobody to talk to about it. If I was going to 'learn' a new game, I'd rather it really was a new game.
How is this listed as a con? New content is bad? "nobody to talk to about it" is a different point altogether, but new content is not bad.

You wanted the game froze at Velious, but with all the power to solo 10 year old dragons and obtain loot you never had the chance to get before, and for that loot to still be BiS? I'm confused...

Baraz_sl

shitlord
Still got my SK/Bard/Mage/Shaman/Wiz box going. Got it to 61 yesterday. Decided to start a 2nd set of Brd/Nec/Rng that will go past where TFO is. I feel like I have altitis at the moment, but really trying to find the 1 or 2 characters that I play and just go hot damn, gotta keep playing it. I played a warrior most of my time in EQ originally, and I loved it, but the game doesn't really work the same anymore and I don't think my warrior would be too fun.

If anyone is looking for group action you can get me on any of the following:
Lorven, Narisma - 2 Bards
Bearaz - SK
Rakata - Wiz
Akatar - Rng
Beeraz - Nec
Morbia - Shaman
Forget my mage's name at the moment.

jrbuddha

Silver Knight of the Realm
Looking to play again some...gonna dust off my cleric. Lvl 70ish not sure how many AA's (a friend boxed him for a while before I finally stopped resubbing). Has epic and epic 1.5 i think. Probably gonna test copy him and play there.

EtadanikM_sl

shitlord
The only thing holding me back from testcopying is fear of Sony realizing "Wait, people are getting everything for free? Better stick our dick in that!" And then being stuck on a depopulated server with no opportunity to transfer off unless you suck a dev's dick.
Don't think that's going to happen. Max they close off Test a few months before they close off the rest of EQ.

The biggest drawback to Test is the following:

Infinite plat via /testcopy
Infinite potions via /testcopy
Infinite trade skill items via /testcopy

Ergo, none of that is worth a penny, and in case you're the competitive type, know that you're never going to beat people who have stacked Live characters /testcopying over shit for themselves. Having trade skills, having plat, having droppable loot, etc. etc. is all worthless on Test because of /testcopy. Don't come here for a competitive experience / economy.

Test is where people go to play their own game. Live is where people go to size up their epeen.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Guys Qwerty made a decent post (#142) and you all jumped on him because he didn't like a game you want to treat like The One Ring. Then when you trolled him and he flipped out on you, you went off more and started reporting him.

That's not how it works.

Everyone just chill the hell out.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who reported him? It's not necessary, he does his own damage.

If you are judging him by this thread alone, you are missing the point.