EQ Never

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
What Bruman said; it doesn't really "fit" into the lore and setting. Why create technology? Is the magic caste oppressing the normal people? Is there a culture or race on Norrath that can't use magic? Is there an outside invasion force that is immune to magic or uses tech that would inspire or force Norrathians to copy it?
Not that I've paid much attention to the EQN lore because frankly I don't really give a damn about them changing it but isn't the period of time EQN takes place when the Combine empire just got their asses handed to them by the dragons? In that case technological weapons would make sense as a force multiplier. You can mobilize a shit ton more gnomes with guns than you can wizards for the battle.

This entire line of debate is rather dumb anyway, just go read some fantasy/tech mixed fiction for any number of a thousand reasons non magically trained people would have for pursuing technology. Hell even the Wheel of Time had cannons by the end.

Remit_sl

shitlord
4 of the 5 answers are basically the same. How they lumped together "player abilities only" and "have to travel the long way first" is beyond me. Obviously they will do what they have done in past polls. Fast travel is in.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
4 of the 5 answers are basically the same. How they lumped together "player abilities only" and "have to travel the long way first" is beyond me. Obviously they will do what they have done in past polls. Fast travel is in.
Ya the poll is pretty skewed, heh. That being said, it is extremely difficult to make traveling-long-distances interesting more than once. I suppose if the world was large enough (and I mean Vanguard sized or bigger), and there was a super server with enough players to support regional economies, multiple capital cities, etc, I could see travel and exploration while travel being meaningful. But if this is a WoW or vanilla EQ sized world, fast travel is pretty much a must.

Like most of you, I too have fond memories of traveling from Freeport to Qeynos for the first time pre-level 20, but I don't recall having any warm fuzzies about having to make the run any time after that when I couldn't find a druid or a wizard to port me.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I think the interplayer dependence is worth the occasional burden.

I think vanilla EQ (player abilities) and vanilla WoW (more frequent city travel available, NOT flightpaths) might be a decent mix

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
What I don't understand is if you have a world that is entirely constructed of voxels and you're advertising every experience is a new one, why would you NOT want long travel times? Your chances of seeing different scenery, encounters, rally calls, etc. should be relatively high in a voxel world depending on how often the terrain repairs are being done.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
It's pretty hilarious to see how they're manipulating answers now to allow for their already-decided direction to be voted through no matter what.

Wormwood_sl

shitlord
Not that I've paid much attention to the EQN lore because frankly I don't really give a damn about them changing it but isn't the period of time EQN takes place when the Combine empire just got their asses handed to them by the dragons? In that case technological weapons would make sense as a force multiplier. You can mobilize a shit ton more gnomes with guns than you can wizards for the battle.

This entire line of debate is rather dumb anyway, just go read some fantasy/tech mixed fiction for any number of a thousand reasons non magically trained people would have for pursuing technology. Hell even the Wheel of Time had cannons by the end.
I used to be the Lore master around (yes I'm a fucking nerd) and even I don't know anymore. They butchered pretty much everything and slapped some infamous names like Miragul on some elven emperor or shit.
Oh and I remember our wizard not needing guns to shred an ancient dragon. They did it with fancy magic rewarded from a class quest. CLASS QUESTS? YOU HEAR ME SOE! That's how you make classes interesting.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
They lost their polls on the class restrictions and guns/ninjas , so now they are just going to blatantly skew it from the beginning.

That way it's all "Everquesty".

And they know damn well they aren't making it "Everquesty" otherwise they would not have to be saying it repeatedly in the video to begin with , it'd be a non issue.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I voted for 30 minutes of travel time each game both ways uphill in the snow with no shoes. Just because it means game world has to be huge.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
It's pretty hilarious to see how they're manipulating answers now to allow for their already-decided direction
Heh, it all seems rather disingenuous at this point doesn't it. Kinda feels like I'm having a conversation with The Rock.

I'm not a gun hater but I really wish they would have left them out ofthisgame. Apparently everyone and everything needs guns though. Guns everywhere.

Ought to be fun to see how they spin the response for this latest one. The way things are going I expect everyone will eventually get a port ability.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
You guys are pretty entertaining with the wildly over dramatic "Good Bye Cruel World" posts over these pretty irrelevant details. You all sound very angsty. I keep reading these posts thinking they should be lyrics for The Cure's next album.

This game can be NOTHING like what you wanted it to and still be a good game. The two are completely unrelated. Stop trying to read tea leave to see make judgements on the game. Judge when you are playing it in Beta.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
You guys are pretty entertaining with the wildly over dramatic "Good Bye Cruel World" posts over these pretty irrelevant details. You all sound very angsty. I keep reading these posts thinking they should be lyrics for The Cure's next album.

This game can be NOTHING like what you wanted it to and still be a good game. The two are completely unrelated. Stop trying to read tea leave to see make judgements on the game. Judge when you are playing it in Beta.
^^ Bravo!

thanks for being the first poster to criticize the consensus feeling of the thread. very unique.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord

This game can be NOTHING like what you wanted it to and still be a good game.The two are completely unrelated. Stop trying to read tea leave to see make judgements on the game. Judge when you are playing it in Beta.
Really? This is a ridiculous statement.