EQ Never

I mean I guess it depends on what part of Landmark you dislike. If you dont like building and/or digging, then that probably will have very little to do with your enjoyment of EQN. If you hate the graphics, animations, or in a few weeks, the combat, then I imagine you won't enjoy EQN much either.

If I understand this process correctly they will be adding features to Landmark as they develop them for EQN. So Landmark combat will be similar to EQN combat, Landmark AI will be similar to EQN AI, etc etc. EQN seems like it is going to be a (likely highly polished) giant Landmark claim where SOE will use Landmark tools to create the game.
Exactly what I took away from all this info , I loved the idea of it just the look of it is what is turning me off. Had 10 years of cartoon graphics , with exaggerated armor/parts really cant stomach much more of it.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
There are some really good arguments in favor of using stylized graphics for an mmo as opposed to realistic graphics; most notably it tends to age better. However, I do think that EQ should come up with it's own look and style rather than co-opting what blizzard did. Heck, I'd even be open to cel-shading or other looks. I'd like gear to be a bit more toned down as well, but we will see how that plays out.

I do like that they are going to codify particle effects a bit such that you will be able to differentiate between martial fire, or elemental fire, or divine fire. I just hope that it doesn't become too busy.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Exactly what I took away from all this info , I loved the idea of it just the look of it is what is turning me off. Had 10 years of cartoon graphics , with exaggerated armor/parts really cant stomach much more of it.
So let me get this right...

If SOE delivers on what they've been saying, EQNext is going to be a total evolution in the MMORPG space. It's going to boast features that we all wished were there while playing EQ or WoW for the first time. It will be the first MMORPG where the world actually feels alive. It's going to be fucking free.

...and you won't play it because graphics?

To each their own I guess.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Honestly, I think a lot of people are just talking shit. If EQN pulls through on even half of their promises every single neckbeard here is going to at least try it, myself included.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm

If SOE delivers on what they've been saying, EQNext is going to be a total evolution in the MMORPG space. It's going to boast features that we all wished were there while playing EQ or WoW for the first time. It will be the first MMORPG where the world actually feels alive. It's going to be fucking free.

A game succeeds or fails because of gameplay. People might say that they don't like the graphics but in the end on average they tend to ignore these things even if at the beginning they think it's important. At least this is my case. 10 years ago I did not pick up WoW at launch because I found the graphics horrible.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

400297_4229289082832_1168115339_n.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Trusting anything they say in the end will let you down a dark path.

Perhaps if it wasnt Smed and the other used car salesmen....but its not

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Perhaps if it wasnt Smed and the other used car salesmen....but its not
Ok great then you should love it, the two biggest parts of EQN, voxels and AI, are handled mostly by third parties. SOE, Voxel Farm and StoryBricks are all basically betting the future of their companies on the success of EQN.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The EQN Content/Storybricks panel

Even using headphones with the volume cranked up, it's hard to understand the Storybricks guy, but there's still a lot of cool shit here. If they can pull off half of what they talk about, this is the thing that'll truly transform the genre.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

A lot of people are simply using code words for they didn't make the EQ that I wanted.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not to poor cold water on all of this but ultimately what I heard is this game is around 3 years away and I can't tell if this is going to be ingenious timing to give people time to forget how mediocre MMO's are today or if they're going to miss their window of opportunity. Three years from now who's to say if any of this is going to be interesting to us or what the market will even look like. Honestly, based on what i've seen, i'm thinking good things but 3 years is a long time. What will Blizzard be doing? Where will consoles be? Not to mention my confidence is slightly shaken with H1Z1 being available in April and now we still know nothing more than we did months ago. We're not talking this Christmas, or next Christmas, or even the next Christmas but possibly the next Christmas. I'm hoping that they continue to show some progress, do some good things with Landmark, and hopefully we'll all get a break from MMO's to where when this does hit the shelves we'll all be ready. But dang... 2017, that's a long time for something proclaimed to be 60% complete.

On a side note, EQII won the Fan Faire in my opinion. How they made the game look that good with their engine is beyond me. Not to mention they made some good calls with their zones.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ok great then you should love it, the two biggest parts of EQN, voxels and AI, are handled mostly by third parties. SOE, Voxel Farm and StoryBricks are all basically betting the future of their companies on the success of EQN.
EQ2 ruined all faith in EQ series and its devs - they will find a way to fuck shit up - even when i was helping with content theyd still find a way to mess things up and they will never own up to it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not to poor cold water on all of this but ultimately what I heard is this game is around 3 years away and I can't tell if this is going to be ingenious timing to give people time to forget how mediocre MMO's are today or if they're going to miss their window of opportunity. Three years from now who's to say if any of this is going to be interesting to us or what the market will even look like. Honestly, based on what i've seen, i'm thinking good things but 3 years is a long time. What will Blizzard be doing? Where will consoles be? Not to mention my confidence is slightly shaken with H1Z1 being available in April and now we still know nothing more than we did months ago. We're not talking this Christmas, or next Christmas, or even the next Christmas but possibly the next Christmas. I'm hoping that they continue to show some progress, do some good things with Landmark, and hopefully we'll all get a break from MMO's to where when this does hit the shelves we'll all be ready. But dang... 2017, that's a long time for something proclaimed to be 60% complete.

On a side note, EQII won the Fan Faire in my opinion. How they made the game look that good with their engine is beyond me. Not to mention they made some good calls with their zones.
Chicken little told me that the Sky was falling. Even if it was, would you still come crawling back again?

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
It's not three years away. That's just silly.

Think of it in these terms. They announced everything 12 months ago. The engine is complete, albeit needs optimization. The world is ready and just needs buildings and a final level of caves. which as we have seems can be built pretty fucking rapidly. Combat is in. Classes are set and just being adjusted. The dev tools are being released to the public this month, so content creation is happening as we speak. The AI is in the final stages. Voxels are done except for dynamic flowing water. What exactly in your mind is going to take 3 years? I just don't see it.

EQN beta next SOE Live, open release 3rd quarter 2016 at the very latest. Maybe PS4 version is 3 years a away, but for the PC version that's laughable.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's not three years away. That's just silly.

Think of it in these terms. They announced everything 12 months ago. The engine is complete, albeit needs optimization.The world is ready and just needs buildings and a final level of caves. which as we have seems can be built pretty fucking rapidly. Combat is in.Classes are set and just being adjusted. The dev tools are being released to the public this month,so content creation is happening as we speak. The AI is in the final stages. Voxels are done except for dynamic flowing water. What exactly in your mind is going to take 3 years? I just don't see it.

EQN beta next SOE Live, open release 3rd quarter 2016 at the very latest. Maybe PS4 version is 3 years a away, but for the PC version that's laughable.
Imo the highlighted parts are going to take up those years - you are brushing off the time and effort required to build a world and create and balance 40 classes and their abilities and equipment. They have to create a fully fleshed out world with content, and we have seen very little of that beyond the tools that will be used to create it. Just having the tools doesnt make this a 3 months affair, you're still looking at a ton of work. And the majority of that will have to be done in-house if they want to have the quality standard they need for an AAA mass market MMO (anyone thinking that's not the goal SOE has in mind is delusional, this is no small project).

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Imo the highlighted parts are going to take up those years - you are brushing off the time and effort required to build a world and create and balance 40 classes and their abilities and equipment. They have to create a fully fleshed out world with content, and we have seen very little of that beyond the tools that will be used to create it. Just having the tools doesnt make this a 3 months affair, you're still looking at a ton of work. And the majority of that will have to be done in-house if they want to have the quality standard they need for an AAA mass market MMO (anyone thinking that's not the goal SOE has in mind is delusional, this is no small project).
It'll take time, but three years is ludicrously George RR Martin long. They have a huge staff that is pretty much now focused on content and classes. They know the classes already and what they are going to do, it's just modeling and balancing now. I'm pretty sure they have more ready too, but many are going to remain hidden so they are found in quests. I'll bet they show the other core starting classes within 3 months.

The big thing about their systems, Storybricks, Voxels... They are stupid simple to use. Creating content isn't laborious or time consuming.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
A lot of people are simply using code words for they didn't make the EQ that I wanted.
This. So much code. The funny thing is that the people who don't like what's been shown of a alpha/alpha are bringing those bias out really fast.

They didn't want 'cartoony'; they wanted gritty. They didn't want 'action-y'; they wanted tab targeting. They didn't/don't want SOE doing it; they wanted someone else. So much of these things stick in their craw right away that they probably won't really give the game an honest chance even this early on.

I remember when Marvel Heroes was announced and finally came out, I hated the fact that they didn't try and make an mmo to compete with DCUO but instead went with some Diablo wannabee. I ran a Storm through the game once and then never touched the game again, not because it was bad (it wasn't) but because they offended my fucking sensibilities by not making the MMO I wanted instead.