EQ Never

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they're smart they will do the Vanilla Ice by adding one extra beat and call it original.

EQ Next is the next Vanilla Ice, there I said it.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Landmark was their way of getting their fans to build the game for them. You know they are just copy and pasting peoples builds from Landmark and putting them into EQN.
I think we all get the idea behind it but is it really working? Was it worth them taking the time and resources away from EQN to make it happen? Did we need it first or would they have been better releasing EQN, building a base and then saving Landmark for the future? Again, they missed the gravy train..

Bruman

Golden Squire
EQ:N has been in some sort of dev/production since like, what, 2009? I'm sure it wasn't like "full on development mode" ala Pantheon that whole time or anything, but still, we've been hearing about the game to various degrees forever, and still all we have is Landmark.

In that time the market has had big shifts at least twice, with a billion other MMOs that have come and gone. I don't think people really get excited for MMOs like they used to. EQ:N might as well be DNF.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 100% of this projects problems lie in choosing to take on this project after scrapping the game what twice? before deciding they wanted to instead make it technically difficult for their developers to complete? Choosing to do the hardest to make mmo short of star citizen at a time when literally everything your company owns sucks? It didn't matter which they did first.

Lohk_sl

shitlord
Their company was on the chopping block financially. They didn't need to release a B-list MMORPG that 300,000 neckbeards would be stoked on. They needed to release something revolutionary.

It didn't go so well.
Isn't that true with any new MMO that gets released? Whatever MMO that comes out needs to do something amazingly different than the other big names while including the same level of polish as an MMO that's been released for a few years. I don't envy anyone trying to accomplish this.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Isn't that true with any new MMO that gets released? Whatever MMO that comes out needs to do something amazingly different than the other big names while including the same level of polish as an MMO that's been released for a few years. I don't envy anyone trying to accomplish this.
It's actually not hard if you don't have idiots working in the field. Look at all the relics who don't know their head from their ass in this space right now. And it's the same ones making the same damn broken games for years spanning countless companies.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It's actually not hard if you don't have idiots working in the field. Look at all the relics who don't know their head from their ass in this space right now. And it's the same ones making the same damn broken games for years spanning countless companies.
I'll agree I think the biggest hurdle to making MMOs is that the same types of people making them.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Don't the money men step in and say no to good ideas before a company goes for the wow clone?
They do but the reason why these money men even exist is because the current crop of developers think you need this massive movie sized budget to make a game. This attracted the money men and the rest is downhill.

As much as we rightfully shit over pantheon they might be the forerunners of an upcoming "indie" MMO golden age.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
They do but the reason why these money men even exist is because the current crop of developers think you need this massive movie sized budget to make a game. This attracted the money men and the rest is downhill.

As much as we rightfully shit over pantheon they might be the forerunners of an upcoming "indie" MMO golden age.
It would be interesting to see that start happening, queue a bunch of new kickstarters !

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The forerunners of the "indie" golden age is definitely not Pantheon since they couldn't even successfully kickstart their own game. You're looking at games like Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Elite, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar with Kickstarters that have raised more than 1M$ in cash with additional resources from other sources.

If those games are successful and launch in the next 2 years or so, you'll see more action in that realm I think. It's shaky right now though.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pantheon is still an indie... They are going to sursprise people. Put the thread back to its rightful place so people know where to go when they start to surprise people.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Pantheon is still an indie... They are going to sursprise people. Put the thread back to its rightful place so people know where to go when they start to surprise people.
While I hope you're right, Brad has hurt me before.

A golden age of old school MMOs is something I can get behind though.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Brad is sorry but don't accept his apology until you get your hands on the product. I think he understands it needs to be that way going forward with the community.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Is she on both? Pretty sure she's still on EQN, whatever the fuck that means these days. At this point pretty sure this thread should have been the one moved and not Pantheon.

Real talk though, wonder when the next big update comes, be that cancelation or otherwise.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So this is pretty insane....I wonder if it'll hit this game too eventually.

Everquest II Is Building A For Shitty Players

Daybreak Games is trying something cool with Everquest II: players caught breaking the rules (or just generally being terrible people) aren't going to be suspended or banned. They're going to be banished to a "prison server" known as Drunder.

The move, explained by Holly Longdale in this forum post (via Gamasutra), sounds a lot more like exile than mere imprisonment.

Later this week we plan to release a server we are calling "Drunder," which is a "prison server." What does that mean, exactly? Ultimately, players who are caught breaking our rules and disrupting EQ2 live server gameplay will be flagged for this server, and no others - ever. Characters on these accounts will be copied to Drunder (the "prison server") and can never leave or transfer to another server.

Those in Drunder won't get any customer service from Daybreak, but they will still be able to play the game there, and will have to keep paying their membership for the privilege.

Weirdly-or perhaps wisely, considering this amounts to a grand social experiment-there will also be a petition system for regular players to be sent to Drunder, though Longdale warns "You won't be able to move individual characters to this server, while maintaining characters from the same account on another server. This is a ONE-WAY trip for an entire account forever."

Sounds like Australia, only for a video game. And hey, we turned out OK *resumes gnawing on kangaroo bone, spit dripping on tattered rags*.

Lohk_sl

shitlord
I'm really surprised by this, thanks for the enlighten. For the past year or so I've been playing a bunch of f2p MMOs and they're god damn awful pieces of shit frustrating as fuck games with the same, "it'll be less frustrating if you pay us...." shit. It makes me really miss WoW for the polish and upfront design. Nothing is hidden or behind some weird paywall. Nothing is suppose to be frustrating to achieve, everything is achievable if you're good enough and have the time.

I have battered wife syndrome for both Brad and Sony. I'll try their game if they promise not to shit in my mouth.