EQ Never

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
he genre Everquest has occupied is pretty full now, so it must be very difficult to come up with something genuinely new.

Well, that?s the trouble. Everybody has been making the same game since Everquest, really. If you look back, Ultima Online was out before us and really, all the current crop of MMOs are a lot like Everquest ? they?re in that style. They?re great because the quality level has really improved, but nobody has really changed the game. Now, you saw it with League of Legends ? Riot took DOTA and made it mainstream, so now everyone is playing that.
what drugs is Smed taking? That's the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever seen. How is any current high fantasy MMO like EQ?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
what drugs is Smed taking? That's the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever seen. How is any current high fantasy MMO like EQ?
I don't know... I can see what he's saying. When he says "they're in that style", that's true. People can say what they want but EQ was pretty well the ground work for a bunch of people saying, "Wow, we can do that and even better AND make millions of dollars!" In my opinion, Blizzard has always been a leg up on SoE. Diablo and Starcraft were great successes and were seeds in what would be a consumer base for WoW. This is something EQ did not have... plus Blizzard had hindsight and a lot of sense when making WoW. I still give credit to EQ for showing people this was a profitable genre that just needed some tweaking and WoW for making it mainstream.

Overall, if you take EQ at the surface, I buy the game, I pick a race, a class, I start in City "X", and I progressively travel through zones and dungeons to develop my character then yes.. EQ did it before any other MMO. Although, I still think EQ was completely accidental.

xzi

Mouthbreather
In terms of content, look at the developers that started WoW. People that took what they had in EQ, improved on it, and added some of their own into the mix, but essentially they added what they thought EQ should have had/should have handled things, and it was quite the huge success. His claim that other MMO's are like EQ isn't too far fetched. Well.. not so much recently, but you get the point.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What in the hell is he going to do to make this genre enjoyable again, if thats what he's promising? Obviously, advancements such as Active Combat, Public Quests etc. are not what he is being specific about. I feel like he is talking about an entire change to how we play the game. Which just brings nothing but curiosity. The guy is a pro at creating vague ass hype. Past MMO's have ruined my outlook on future MMO's, so I find little hope in a new one. Hell, the design crew might just be jumping up and down in their chairs because they finally got approved for funding.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
it's amazing that some of you fail to understand the nuances of eq's pacing and the character interplay involved. yeah, you create a character and kill shit but small, ostensibly insignificant differences in design result in radically different experiences. i don't even think smedley knows what made his own game tick.

it's no wonder we get games like swtor when people focus on stupid shit like dungeon finders.

90Proof_sl

shitlord
Another Vallon Zek vet here and another vote for PVP style player resolution mechanics. Forget about 1v1 class balancing, wow arena, or HALO 4 style competition. Move backward in EQ's timeline and think about targeting an opposing guild's main tank and *capturing* him and selling him to the Shissar slave lords.

Opposing guild now has to put together a group or a raid to free him, like the old Plane of Hate corpse runs. However, give him compelling gameplay that he can pursue in character. Hell, give him an option to improve his character and maybe even escape ... after a few days ...

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
it's amazing that some of you fail to understand the nuances of eq's pacing and the character interplay involved. yeah, you create a character and kill shit but small, ostensibly insignificant differences in design result in radically different experiences. i don't even think smedley knows what made his own game tick.

it's no wonder we get games like swtor when people focus on stupid shit like dungeon finders.
Well for one, Dungeon Finders actually increases time spent in game and time playing the game per week. The more you can make a subscriber play your game the more likely he will renew his subscription. Same mentality applies to F2P games with cash shops.

The reason why EQ "ticked" back then was because they created a game that was buggy as hell and what a lot of people loved was the exploitation which in turn became features down the road. Also the audience for EQ back then was more concentrated nerd so everyone was on the same wavelength.

EQ-only fans are fake hipsters anyway. They think EQ was the pinnacle of MMORPG gaming when actually MUDs were better.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
.. except for Planetside 2 where you have the option of either spending a month of grinding to unlock a gun, or pay $10 in SC for it. I'm okay with it, because its F2P, but I don't see how this is any different than Zynga allowing players to fast-forward grinds with real money.

It just seems wrong for Smed to try and distance himself from what they are clearly doing
I havent played any facebook games really, but my impression was you actually have limited actions per day or something like that? So that even if you *want* to continue playing you cannot for x hours unless you cough up some cash?

Like I said above, being aware that they will need to gain money in a meaningful way is important or you are deluding yourself before the first real info about the game is leaked. That said, I really do like the LoL or PS2 model. In both you have very important features you have to play for (runes in LoL and many cert-bought upgrades in PS2) so nobody can start a new account, throw $1000 at it and be better then someone that played for a year. No matter the money you use you have to play for some time. Then you have the middle ground of stuff you can either buy with cash or in-game currency (champions in LoL and weapons in PS2), and the only stuff you *only* get with cash is cosmetic only in both those games. I think you need a character advancement aspect that can only be gained through play to keep a level playing field. In a rpg setting that should probably be items. Which parts of a mmorpg would fit the "buy only" and "buy or gain through play" aspects? One way to go would be not using classes but a skill tree kind of advancement like EVE or at least fairly open class system like D&D 3rd Ed. They could continue to add new skills/prestige classes or whatever to keep the money going instead of creating barriers of access.

How are they any different? You grind noob mobs/quests to get to level 10, grind slightly less noob mobs to get 20, etc.. And then you reach end game and raid. It's the same fucking game over and over again. The only significant innovations I could count on one hand, and of those only a few actually amount to anything fun.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The only thing that WoW added to the EQ formula was the entire questgrind bullshit, instanced dungeons, and making everything 1-cap soloable. On the other hand they didnt include the tons of cool shit that EQ had, like exploration, danger, and the huge non instanced dungeons.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just got Rift, my god what a bore fest, uninstalled it after half an hour. I can't stand how shitty the dialogue is in these games, and the theme park noob rides they send you on, with none aggro mobs and big lame icons showing you where to go and what to kill, etc. It's funny because the TRION logo at the start of the game says Trion *Worlds* and there is alittle door that opens in the I, like opening a door to a new world you access through your PC. Well that's how EQ felt to me, but Rift sure as fuck doesn't and nor do most others.