EQ Never

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
the dying wasn't the fun part, you ignorant douche nozzle; it was the exhilaration that you felt because you COULD die that made it fun. it's called risk vs. reward. it's like playing any video game. playing any game where the chance exists that you can lose (risk) makes the reward that much more enjoyable. it's like playing a video game with a cheat code on that makes you invincible. how much fun is it to just run around, killing everything and completing a game in under an hour, knowing nothing can kill you, versus playing the same game and knowing you need to take your time and use some skill because dying will actually set you back and actually matters?
And this is exactly why playing poker for real money is so much better than playing it for chips or e-bucks.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So quick to jump to an insult. How typical when one bashes the holy grail that is 'EQ'.

You and the other EQ neckbeards seem to have this notion of Risk vs. Reward that borders on lunacy. Taking a risk, that has the possibility of costing you everything (in this case, internet pixel gear), better reward you appropriately. Let me tell you how much your time must be worth if you feel that's acceptable for a JBB. One internet pixel item, that people spent 20+ hours camping, faced against the notion of losing hundreds of hours of equipment if luck goes against you. Yes, that's totally exhilarating. Do you also enjoy juggling loaded guns by their triggers? WHICH ONE IS GONNA FIRE? THE RISK IS TOTALLY WORTH HOW BAD ASS I FEEL WHEN I DON'T DIE.
Because time is the only real "worth" to lose in mmos. There has to be some risk involed because if there isnt, everything just feels, meh, vanilla. Maybe EQ was tipped too much into lunacy with risk, but the games today? I mean, why even have the notion of "death" anymore if it means absolutely nothing? In fact a feature in some games which gives you a quick travel back to town.

I'm with you. I never have agreed with 'lose all' risks in gaming. My time matters entirely too much to me for it to be squandered by a bad choice in a video game. Call me selfish, but I'd rather have a penalty that doesn't take hours of my life to fix than what it was during pre-Luclin EQ.
In reality no one, or very few, lost everything in EQ. What was lost is time, maybe a few hours, maybe even more. But what was gained by the game because of the loss was the thrill, which is sadly lacking in todays games.

You might not agree and thats fine. Not everyone sees it this way. Some like the way wow and its 100 clones are. And thats fine too. But dont discount those of us who do not feel the same way.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
The point isn't necessarily risk vs reward. The retards on the old board used to hype challenge vs reward. This isn't the point either.

The reason EQ's death penalty was so fucking good and spot on wasn't the fact that you lost exp or had to retrieve your corpse (although those helped). The reason was, many times, you had tocommunicate with someonein order to get your stuff back, whether it was a cleric friend or a necro stranger. It wasn't that death hurt per say, it was the fact that if you didn't have some type of player interaction, then you were more than likely gonna have a hardass time getting your shit back.

That was why the death penalty in EverQuest worked. WoW doesn't have a death penalty to even compare.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well that was just an effect of the penalty. Even in wow you have to interact with the community at max level to progress further as well. But in reality, from lv1 and on, to advance in any meaninful way in EQ, you had to interact with the community. But my point still stands on the risk vs reward. It adds a sense of excitement to the game that is missing in todays generation of mmos.

Merquise_sl

shitlord
I really enjoy the way EQ made items epic. Only a few things in WoW were like that, and most of them were just random dumb luck eg. Kang the decapitator random world drop. In Everquest, if you had items like FBSS, GEB, SMR, Yak, people recognized those items, and knew you had to invest a lot of effort to get them.

WoW items seemed to never have the same value, or at least the value diminished very quickly.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
This talk of "players discovering a spell that could completely alter the world" seems to cater to the best experiences being for spell casters... pure ones at that.

Hopefully I can big the huge epic as fuck troll warrior swinging blindly at someone/something and chopping down trees along with targets as I come out swinging.

Or miss an ashenhand discipline attack versus a wall-pinned target on a monk and cause a mountain to crack
smile.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really enjoy the way EQ made items epic. Only a few things in WoW were like that, and most of them were just random dumb luck eg. Kang the decapitator random world drop. In Everquest, if you had items like FBSS, GEB, SMR, Yak, people recognized those items, and knew you had to invest a lot of effort to get them.

WoW items seemed to never have the same value, or at least the value diminished very quickly.
Has to do with publishers not wanting twinking to be a thing. When you've got to have tiers of equipment at every single level, you end up with Shiny Green Armor of the Toad with Agility. Basically, they just have too many fucking items. Hell, I remember bronze armor being fucking badass in EQ. What was essentially a trash drop in any other game was a desirable piece of equipment because they just didn't inflate everything.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has to do with publishers not wanting twinking to be a thing. When you've got to have tiers of equipment at every single level, you end up with Shiny Green Armor of the Toad with Agility. Basically, they just have too many fucking items. Hell, I remember bronze armor being fucking badass in EQ. What was essentially a trash drop in any other game was a desirable piece of equipment because they just didn't inflate everything.
Old school EQ twinking was cool, so was PL'ing. You had to have put in your time to twink and you had to have friends to PL. Neither was cheap in plat or time. Mudflation and modern mmo mindsets killed all that.

I would love to have a harsh game to play again. I mean really, really harsh. Even beyond EQ classic. Kick the pussies out type of game play. Something like Dark Soulsx 10. Something that scares the pussies on this board so much that they whine about it on every forum for months.... OH THE DRAMA! ... I miss the drama.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Completely agree. Drastic inflation of stats and over itemization, especially in the early game is a killer for me. If I'm playing a melee class and I'm level 20-40, I do not expect to be cranking out 100+ damage hits regularly regardless if I'm using abilities. I like the aspect that when I'm a lower level, my character is an absolute piece of shit joke and isn't either worthy of hero status and that's why I need to explore and level. Weapons and armor should be held to basic stats (dmg/dly and just AC/mana/hp) without any extra modifiers andslowlytrickle in those stats in as your further progress in levels. For a vanilla game with intentions of releasing expansions and increased levels, there's no reason to have your players at the end game of vanilla to be outputting high DPS by any means and having thousands upon thousands of hit points.

Blackwulf

N00b
Is it true Smed said something like: People will have their hands on this game before the end of the year? Wish I could find where I saw the full quote. I browse too many forums.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is it true Smed said something like: People will have their hands on this game before the end of the year? Wish I could find where I saw the full quote. I browse too many forums.
http://eq2wire.com/2013/01/24/player...eqnext-launch/

Players will have to wait a bit longer to try it themselves, but maybe not as long as you'd expect. "Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," says Smedley.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Well, there will be a demo at fan faire, Smed said that at the keynote address last year. Released? I don't know. Going from properly announced to released in <4 months is somewhat out of the ordinary.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ya, supposedly from a Gamasutra quote back in January:

Edit, ya Abefroman got the quote. =)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
actual release version of what we're doing

That seems like crafty pr speak for demo or something. We would have had something more concrete by now if it was that close.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Minor point: I'm tired of character creators allowing me to make avatars which range from skinny-ripped swimmers to AWESOMELY FUCKSWOLE bodybuilder types. I want to recreate my natural essence, a supple rotund belly, sunken chest and shoulders, arms as strong as string beans, and an ass flatter than drywall. Skinny-fat to the max, 2013.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Minor point: I'm tired of character creators allowing me to make avatars which range from skinny-ripped swimmers to AWESOMELY FUCKSWOLE bodybuilder types. I want to recreate my natural essence, a supple rotund belly, sunken chest and shoulders, arms as strong as string beans, and an ass flatter than drywall. Skinny-fat to the max, 2013.
I hope you have that option, but have to start with only around 13 STR! Perhaps a caster is in your future.

Also regarding the development / early release - We should all have our doubts, but the one thing that would lead to the possibility is the world already exists in a sense? Kith will be kith, commons will be commons? Just throw some extra pixels on them, but the layout is probably going to remain similar, which could probably save a good bit of time.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I hope you have that option, but have to start with only around 13 STR! Perhaps a caster is in your future.

Also regarding the development / early release - We should all have our doubts, but the one thing that would lead to the possibility is the world already exists in a sense? Kith will be kith, commons will be commons? Just throw some extra pixels on them, but the layout is probably going to remain similar, which could probably save a good bit of time.
If only they would have followed that notion in EQ2.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol. Aion's character builder can do most of what you asked for. Some people made really butt ugly toons in that game.