EQ Never

Nobody_sl

shitlord
You guys have fun with your raids, DPS arguments, and such. I'm gonna be off the coast of Kunark building a motherfucking boat to go catch some fish before I go sail off to discover new islands...

I guess my point is that a lot of people are forgetting the "sandbox" part of this game. There's a lot more to a sandbox than combat. I'm assuming DPS is going to be a non-issue for a good 85% of the playerbase. At least I hope.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
What qwerty & co want (no parsing) is not mutually exclusive to the type of encounters that "require" parsing. You have beginner raid content and you have hard raid content. The last time I played EQ2 (Sentinel's Fate) they did it with easy 10 mans and more challenging 30(?) man raids. If you want that social experience where you can "type in combat" then do the easy raids and collect your slightly-less-than-the-best gear.

Also, I was in a guild called The Companions on Tribunal in late Velious and we had a dude who parsed every NToV we did. The mages all had a competition for who could parse the highest. We also used parses to determine the best pets, best weapons for pets, etc. Just because you weren't aware of the parser's existence doesn't mean they didn't exist.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
EQN is never going to live up to what EQ players what.

I have a list of things that will make me not play EQN: instances, pay to win, dance dance revolution encounters, ! quest markers, tutorials, etc etc.

I dont want a game for brain dead 14yr olds, I want a salty game that is geared for a more . . . jaded crowd.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The fucking tears this game is gonna produce once more concrete info is out, is going to eclipse anything we have ever seen before. Can't fucking wait.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Guess what , parsers were there in EQ at least back to velious(and probably before that). Raid guilds used them all the time to determine who was doing their job and who was slacking.
Think you miss the spirit of the post. Can't see the forest for the trees thing? Parsing of some kind was there in healing and other classes but the way ppl played is more the point. I dont like the current disco party playing these days either.

Parsers single out the noobs that are holding you back. Much needed in hard raids, nothing about humiliating people its just the difference between winning and losing.
Most guilds I remember never checked unless it was the following reasons,
Who caused the Wipe
Who kill stealed
Who looted what
Who was there

Most officers just didn't want to dig into logs to tweek who isn't pulling there weight in what. If you messed up on a rotation for healing, nuking, mezzing, casting in general or as a battery, standing in the wrong place or other things. People generally noticed without digging to far into logs if at all.

Even with 72+ ppl you could tell who was the drama queens, loot whores, Raid groupies and general whiners. With that there were also, quest helpers, guildie gear helpers, Flagging/key runners, group circles and the crazy crafting person that was in some area you never heard of farming for items or the market farmer and noobs.

If they checked anything it was who needed what upgrade and were they being honest. I will agree higher ended guilds checked but the other thing I saw from that end was, were you maxed lvl and X-thousand AA's. If you had way over in AA they would generally excuse the gear you had but only if you were lucky.

This also caused mass guild hoppers from higher ended guilds expecting X gear, Keys and AA. Many ppl stayed till they have the min for the next bigger guild and hopped. We was it all the time. What they did get at the raid they grinded out with other raiders and grouped in major hopping areas to get any increase. Nothing wrong with it but started seeing long staying members get jaded on new member that were at the start power hungry and wanting loot within the first 20 raids after only being in the guild for a month.

Not going to argue if there was parsing (WOW and the like style), I dont remember it at all. Not say it wasn't there but if it was, it wasn't used like it is now. The play style wasnt the same as in today's games.

iannis

Musty Nester
Heal parsing is retarded on a fundamental level. We'd always have newbie dipshits in my Rift guild that tried to be all bad and link heal parses. Did anyone die? Then your heal parse is 1. For everyone that died, subtract one -- you can't go negative. That's the only HP number that matters, the difference between 1 and 0.

But these guys really did think it meant something.

iannis

Musty Nester
I remember we actually booted a few guys out of our guild when we caught them using SEQ. This was real early, like 99 or 00.

It was a completely different community -- but it was still very much a game.

The fucking tears this game is gonna produce once more concrete info is out, is going to eclipse anything we have ever seen before. Can't fucking wait.
You assume us old timers actually expect something good. I expected something good with EQ2, you would have enjoyed my disappointment in 2003 or whenever that was. What a bag of shit. Since then I've hoped for and then been disappointed by AoC, Warhammer, Vanguard, and various others (especially Vanguard).

After 10 years of this shit, I don't expect anything anymore. Except maybe yet another dumb WoW clone that tries to convince the world it's actually something new and special.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You assume us old timers actually expect something good. I expected something good with EQ2, you would have enjoyed my disappointment in 2003 or whenever that was. What a bag of shit. Since then I've hoped for and then been disappointed by AoC, Warhammer, Vanguard, and various others (especially Vanguard).

After 10 years of this shit, I don't expect anything anymore. Except maybe yet another dumb WoW clone.
Stop acting like all the old timers are a bunch of bitter fucking idiots who yearn for the days of no ATM's. Cause you know waiting on a teller promotes socializing!!! You don't speak for anyone and either do I.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Heal parsing is retarded on a fundamental level. We'd always have newbie dipshits in my Rift guild that tried to be all bad and link heal parses. Did anyone die? Then your heal parse is 1. For everyone that died, subtract one -- you can't go negative. That's the only HP number that matters, the difference between 1 and 0.

But these guys really did think it meant something.
Holla

rolx_sl

shitlord
You guys are talking about parsing the wrong people. If your pure boss dps its good to know whos putting out what kind of damage for situational stuff so you can organize your highest dps on specific things that need to be burned fast. But you already knew that because your a real raid leader right kegz. Lets just assume everyone is putting out equal dps... LOL get real. Theres always people that slack parsers make people push that much harder to do more damage. If people arn't putting up numbers that kill fast enough then you fix the problem and swap in something that might be better in a different situation. Or if you want to go old school do you want 100ppl spamming macros maxing out dps in a 2 hour fight or do you want timmy whos auto attacking talking to his mom. Theres a reason that some people always get server firsts and world firsts.

rolx_sl

shitlord

After 10 years of this shit, I don't expect anything anymore. Except maybe yet another dumb WoW clone that tries to convince the world it's actually something new and special.
I raided the fuck out of eq2 our guild was one of the first to get the shiny omgz epic weapons and it was fun. to have raid quest chains. All you guys that quit at 20 and had crap computers missed out.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This, people seem to think this is their savior for 1999-2001 EQ to rise again :p Shit is going to be funny.

Stop acting like all the old timers are a bunch of bitter fucking idiots who yearn for the days of no ATM's. Cause you know waiting on a teller promotes socializing!!! You don't speak for anyone and either do I.
I speak for all righteous EQ lovers with a brain.

ps. I mentioned AoC, Warhammer, Vanguard. But that's just some of the bigger ones. That doesn't include the million others I hoped would be great but turned out not to be. Remember Horizons? And Dark & Light, Shadowbane, Acherons call 2, SWG, Gods & Heroes, Aion (I never really expected much, but still), TAbula Rasa, Hellgate London, etc. And more recently, GW2!!

I'd bet good money that every upcoming MMO will suck balls.

I raided the fuck out of eq2 our guild was one of the first to get the shiny omgz epic weapons. All you guys that quit at 20 and had crap computers missed out.
Lol I had the PC, I just didn't even really play it because it seemed too retarded. The 2 cities, the little bells to teleport you everywhere. The pets that didn't really exist except as a glorified DoT. The weird badly proportioned characters. The millions of instances of the same zone because the design sucked. Etc...etc.. And then I did the trial of the isle thing and it just played like shit, all the characters talked to me like a disney cartoon for 9 year olds, my control over the character seemed to be delayed somehow like I was queuing things up and waiting for him to do it, rather than me directly controlling him, and the constant questing was like WoW rather than EQ. There was no danger, mobs were easy to kill, etc..etc.. I hated everything about it. And it certainly wasn't a real EQ sequel.

rolx_sl

shitlord
... in WoW. Yeah we know that.

What I'm talking about is that these games can be about far more interesting things than spamming out your 1,2,3,3,3,3,3,4 routine faster than the next guy. In early EQ, people didn't care about DPS because there was a lot more important things to focus on. Something a parser COULD have been useful for back then, would be to look at peoples reaction time - how how quickly they responded to a situation.

Say the tank is tanking 3 mobs and struggling to stay alive. The healer is unloading his heals as fast as possible to keep the tank alive. And the crowd control is already dead. Then say a wandering mob shows up from behind and starts pounding on the cleric, and the tank doesn't even notice it because he is already swamped by mobs. You are a wizard, what do you do?

A shit player wouldn't even notice the new mob... A slightly less shit player might notice it but not really know what to do and therefore not respond fast enough. 5 seconds and the cleric is dead. Maybe the wizard nukes it and the mob kills him instead. Maybe the cleric tries to save him but fails, and now the tank is dead too. A good wizard would use his snare or a fast nuke to distract the mob, take it to the side of the room and lock it down with a root.

It's players like that which you wanted in early EQ. The druid who springs in to action and sprints off quad kiting 4 extra mobs to save the group. The bard that quickly plays his group invis song to save an injured and out of mana group, just seconds before a wanderer arrives. You needed those people, and a parser couldn't tell you who those people were.

There were actually dozens of things like this which good players would do, and if you had a guild with people even CLOSE to that switched on, then you were in good shape. Some chimp who spams his dps routine he copied off some wiki, those people are easy to come by.
This is true. There is a difference in skill and #'s thats why I said parsing pure dps classes on a raid, i'm not talking about a pug in lower guk.

rolx_sl

shitlord
I speak for all righteous EQ lovers with a brain.

ps. I mentioned AoC, Warhammer, Vanguard. But that's just some of the bigger ones. That doesn't include the million others I hoped would be great but turned out not to be. Remember Horizons? And Dark & Light, Shadowbane, Acherons call 2, SWG, Gods & Heroes, Aion (I never really expected much, but still), TAbula Rasa, Hellgate London, etc. And more recently, GW2!!

I'd bet good money that every upcoming MMO will suck balls.

Lol I had the PC, I just didn't even really play it because it seemed too retarded. The 2 cities, the little bells to teleport you everywhere. The pets that didn't really exist except as a glorified DoT. The weird badly proportioned characters. The millions of instances of the same zone because the design sucked. Etc...etc.. And then I did the trial of the isle thing and it just played like shit, all the characters talked to me like a disney cartoon for 9 year olds, my control over the character seemed to be delayed somehow like I was queuing things up and waiting for him to do it, rather than me directly controlling him, and the constant questing was like WoW rather than EQ. There was no danger, mobs were easy to kill, etc..etc.. I hated everything about it. And it certainly wasn't a real EQ sequel.
No your right it definitly wasn't an eq sequel my friend. And lol I forgot about the bells. The best part about eq2 was the raid quest chains and the raid zones were HUGE. You could exp in the zones too like old school eq. I think a lot of people had your same oppinion everyone hates on eq2. The 40-50+ content though was pretty awesome.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This, people seem to think this is their savior for 1999-2001 EQ to rise again :p Shit is going to be funny.
I think a lot of people are hoping there is some huge meltdown but honestly.. people will probably just move on. I'm torn if I even want to invest time in MMO's at all anymore. A good EQN is about the only thing that might get me.

Personally, I'd love for a MMO in the Spirit of original EQ to become uber successful! Bring on the clones with the long travel times and camps! Talk about meltdowns.. ha

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
QFT.

I'm realizing that I can't play the "game" they want. They want a hardcore "world" to live in and, at this point in time, I want a time waster. I'll grind at my job thanks.

Well I hate raids in general, so they need to change too. I hope someone is making notes. No parsing, no lame UI addons that play the game for you, and no raids. Or at least, new types of raids. I think even if you do like raids, surely between TSW, EQ2, WoW, Rift, etc.. they have delivered everything you ever wanted in that by now anyway? Floor turns red, run away. Mob enrages, do this. Mob flurrys, do that. Etc. The only thing that amazes me about raids, is how this industry has somehow turned a huge battle with a dragon, in to a fucking boring flashdance with number keys. It's really amazing. It takes a real special talent to take something with so much potential to be breathtaking and great, and make it in to something so dull and mundane and silly. And not only that, but they then go and require you to show up to the same thing 50000 times until you get your lewtz.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that MMO's started in the 90's and were kinda cool but also pretty retarded. And in the 14+ years since then, they have just become less and less cool, and more and more retarded each step of the way. By this point, they are just laughable. And it's not even a new joke, it's an old joke, a tired old joke.

N I think a lot of people had your same oppinion everyone hates on eq2. The 40-50+ content though was pretty awesome.
Sadly I never saw any of that :\

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Even in late planes of power you could only parse your own damage as a caster. I think only crit spells were printed in the spam to others, assuming they weren't filtered. Or maybe it would print the damage but not who did it? Can't remember.

I do remember Thott running a parser and asking us to type out our damage as casters a time or two. It is hard to imagine having time to do that but I guess we did?

I parsed a bit on my own, and it really became useful to compare after the change to activated items. Sometime mid pop they made instant activated items not reset spell gems. My damage was almost cut in half by that as I couldn't even cast fast enough to use the mana I had.