EQ Never

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Thanks, but wasn't there some event in Vegas in the last 30 days? Was that just a cock tease?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Let me hop into my time machine and find out - the "big reveal" is in like 2 months. Gonna be such a Carrie prom queen moment I hope they put a cam on audience for the stream (if there is one).

tad10

Elisha Dushku
August 2nd is the reveal. This thread should become legendary at that point.
New thread: The SOE Live Live thread (starting on August 1st) - this thread should be locked for posterity at that point so all our insane and wrong ramblings can be immortalized.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Thanks, but wasn't there some event in Vegas in the last 30 days? Was that just a cock tease?
Secret reveal to MMORPG, Tentonhammer, Curse and presumably the media (PCGamer, etc) MMORPG and TTH gave it best of show which was a cock tease with feathers.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Tad? Where have you been? I thought you bailed on this place, good to see you.

Edit: nvm, I just looked at your history, you have been active. Somehow I just kept missing your posts.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If they're not doing EQN the way they should be, we can officially stamp this genre as dead, and stick it in the dump beside turn-based strategy. There's nothing else coming.
You're describing Ultima Online.

I collected human female heads of the people I murdered and stored them in a chest in my house. And I put my valuables under them so when thieves snuck behind my table wall when moving one table to get through (happened more often than you'd think, my house was right beside Britain), they'd have to look through those heads to find the good stuff if they didn't get caught.

Not one feature of WoW comes even fucking REMOTELY close to that level of interaction. And this was in 1998.

Please guys, tell me more about how games have progressed.
To be perfectly honest Dumar, this example from UO isn't the correct way to do things either.

Since you're basically roleplaying a serial killer in the above example - you should have been treated as such by the game: pursued by police entities/UO equivalent of Sherlock Holmes until you were caught and executed (house and all items gone for good) and/or forced to live in the far wilderness as an outlaw.

PvP without consequences is bullshit, and has always been bullshit.

Tad? Where have you been? I thought you bailed on this place, good to see you.

Edit: nvm, I just looked at your history, you have been active. Somehow I just kept missing your posts.
Yeah, I came back after EQNext started looking interesting - a sad fact of the internet is that 99% of mmorpg-related bbs suck.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If they're not doing EQN the way they should be, we can officially stamp this genre as dead, and stick it in the dump beside turn-based strategy. There's nothing else coming.
Since you hate F2P and instancing I suggest you get that revolver ready.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Since you hate F2P and instancing I suggest you get that revolver ready.
from the way they are describing EQ next, i highly doubt it will be very instance heavy. however, your second point is very valid. there is no denying it's going to be F2P, which often means P2W. which i hate. here's hoping they make a game that's even 10% close to what they are hyping. i have my doubts, though.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
from the way they are describing EQ next, i highly doubt it will be very instance heavy. however, your second point is very valid. there is no denying it's going to be F2P, which often means P2W. which i hate. here's hoping they make a game that's even 10% close to what they are hyping. i have my doubts, though.
Hate F2P also. It could work if they also offered a B2P option. The F2P people would keep the world alive with lots of players and new people. I just want to be able to buy the damn game and play without worrying about going to the cash shop every other day.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Hate F2P also. It could work if they also offered a B2P option. The F2P people would keep the world alive with lots of players and new people. I just want to be able to buy the damn game and play without worrying about going to the cash shop every other day.
yeah, unfortunately f2p too often means "free to play 50% of our game, and the other 50% is going to cost you more than you would normally pay for a monthly sub." i'd rather just pay $15 a month or whatever the cost and get the whole game than to find some rare dungeon, try to zone in and be told "this dungeon is for our platinum rewards players and will cost you $5.99! we can take you to our cash shop now if you would like to purchase, or just give us a CC number to continue."

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
To be perfectly honest Dumar, this example from UO isn't the correct way to do things either.

Since you're basically roleplaying a serial killer in the above example - you should have been treated as such by the game: pursued by police entities/UO equivalent of Sherlock Holmes until you were caught and executed (house and all items gone for good) and/or forced to live in the far wilderness as an outlaw.

PvP without consequences is bullshit, and has always been bullshit.
Ultima Online never did this themselves, but funny enough one of the EMU UO servers made a "Sherlock Holmes" system . You could be a detective who used your skills to find clues of a murder. If someone like Dumar had killed someone then someone with the detective skill would be able to find blood/evidence around the location of the kill. If the detective had gained enough evidence on a certain killer (you had a book of criminal names that built up) you could go to detective HQ and send out a bounty hunter NPC team. That team I believe would pop on the killer no matter where he was and try to kill him. The NPCs were very powerful, and very fast so it was difficult to escape. If they killed the murderer he was sent to prison where he had to either serve out his sentence, which could be a few real days if I remember right, or try to break out. Which was pretty difficult. The detective responsible for capturing the killer got everything the killer had on him at the time of death.

Pretty fun system I thought. It needed work, but really cool design when you keep in mind that this was done on a fan made EMU server. It made killers think twice about just killing everyone they saw. Get some good detectives who knows your haunts and you could end up being hunted all the time heh.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There was a bounty system in UO but it was just yet another system that ended up being abused, people would just kill themselves once the bounty was high enough, collect the bounty then use the money to macro the stats back they lost(after they added stats losses to murderers) and keep the rest for themselves.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I always imagined those bulletin boards in EQ could be used as bounty boards. For a FBSS, you could put a hit out on Mcgroober. Someone killes mcgroober, brings his head back to the board, doesn't get a reward, but turns the head in and mcgroober loses 4 levels + the board eats the FBSS.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Zeks were the best because you didn't have to worry about adhering to a rotation to kill things.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
All servers are team-based PvP servers. Sucks to be a bluebie.

Mind you, if you weren't on a Zek back in the day you weren't playing therealEverquest.
That would suck. Not because of the PVP but because it means enforced teams. FFA PVP, best PVP.

Would be cool if it basically FFA PVP but you as a player can align with one or several of the NPC factions, and anyone killing you suffers that faction. It would be 'soft' teams based on your own choices but you could still kill the guy pissing you off, just take the hit for it. Wishful thinking of course, there's no way a company that intends to make serious money would come out with FFA PVP.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That would suck. Not because of the PVP but because it means enforced teams. FFA PVP, best PVP.

Would be cool if it basically FFA PVP but you as a player can align with one or several of the NPC factions, and anyone killing you suffers that faction. It would be 'soft' teams based on your own choices but you could still kill the guy pissing you off, just take the hit for it. Wishful thinking of course, there's no way a company that intends to make serious money would come out with FFA PVP.
Itzena doesn't know what he's talking about. If EQN has open-world PvP it is "EVE-like" with security zones not FFA PvP everywhere.