EQ Never

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I think that would be too steep of a leveling curve. You're saying essentially it should take 30days played to hit max level for a hardcore person (12hrs a day for 60days). Let's say causal Timmy plays 14 hours a week (2hrs a day), it'd take him a years time playing at that rate to hit max level.
What does Timmy care as long as he has fun leveling those 14 hours a week? His time restrictions obviously won't allow him to be on the bleeding edge of content anyways. So what's the gripe?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think that would be too steep of a leveling curve. You're saying essentially it should take 30days played to hit max level for a hardcore person (12hrs a day for 60days). Let's say causal Timmy plays 14 hours a week (2hrs a day), it'd take him a years time playing at that rate to hit max level.
If the game is fun and the player experience is unque thorough out why does it matter??

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
Edited to add: we have enough games that cater to Sally soccer mom. It's time we had some that aren't ADHD instant gratification. At the same time, no one except a few on these boards enjoys tedium. There can be a balance contrary to some folks all or nothing views.
Sure, tedium is not needed, but you should also not replace tedium with something that makes it super easy. I never thought of farming keys as tedium. Even when sitting in some random Kunark zone waiting for a bag to spawn on the ground. I used that time productively. The only way its a tedium (for me) is when grinding an alt to get progressed, however that problem will be 100% fixed in EQN.
smile.png

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
GW2's system can use improvements, but what system doesnt? The major flaw imo is the speed at which things repeat. Like conquering that endgame island Orr should be a thing that takes the whole server working together at least a few days. But instead it cycles back and forth within hours. A solution would be having many more events that are interconnected at various steps so each individual event doesnt repeat as often and especially not like clockwork. I assume events themselves are easy to make since they gotta have a specific tools for that.

Despite the above flaws it certainly is a break away from WoW-variants and I found leveling in GW2 very entertaining for an explorer type because they had a TON of interesting little things that werent part of the described event system. From small out of the way caves with just a veteran guarding a chest to full-blown underground ruins with pressure plate puzzles or stuff like that to get past doors. Also traps and at least one spot has an illusionary wall (stuff I took for granted in EQ or actually since EotB hasnt really shown up in many games since). Mobs that havent been killed a while also gave much more xp so the game really encourage you to go out there and explore (not sit in the same spot and camp it all day though). EQ nostalgicians (yes thats a word) still wouldnt like it because of easy travel I guess.

ALso, they failed to include enough things to do after the leveling despite having AA points (skill points) because there really isnt much to do with them and the itemization is kept flat to keep PVP balance (really starting to dislike PVP in MMOs). I'm sitting on hundreds of skill points even after buying mystic forge components often.

So to keep the discussion away from VC do you think endgame content should purely be based on items, with everything else just supporting item acquistion (keys, factions like they were done in WoW), or can a game have something like AA points or long quest chains for abilities or specializing your characters existing abilities? I would say yes. I liked AA in EQ because I was always making some progress in a way, even if I was farming something that didnt drop at the end of the day, or doing faction, etc. Only downside I see is having many important/required AA raises the barrier of entry.
GW2 was a game that is a great example of the need for longer leveling curves. There weresomany zones and points of exploration/secrets to discover, that it really would have benefited from slower leveling. Before you knew it, you were level 80, because the game just kept throwing EXP at you. I don't understand how developers don't realize how little of their leveling content gets utilized, simply because the leveling process occurs so quickly now.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
So the average Joe plays 6-9 hrs a day?
I am not sure how you define average joe. But as someone who works 40 hours a week I could probably put another 40 or so hours into the game per week if necessary. 3-4 hours on days that i worked, and 8-12 on days that I dont. I would consider that to be average joe. Only because I consider hardcore to be 12+ hours, 7 days/wk.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Dude you truly have the a 3rd grade reading comprehension. Someone else said you wanted a wow version of EQ, but thanks for playing. I actually liked your previous post about how long it should take to hit max level. But how does one achieve that in a game? We know how EQ1 achieved it. But there are also so many other variables that made EQ what is was. It is the accumulation of all these variables that will truly make a great game. Sometimes the game has to be abusive, we should all know that people like to be punished for their mistakes, its the best way to learn. That aspect has been completely removed from the MMO genre. It needs to return.
I still don't see where we disagree. I'm AGREEING with you. I just think there are a few mechanics that could be done away with. Namely week/month long mob camps for items, flagging etc. That's our only point of contention from what I can see, with my 3rd grade reading comprehension and all...dude.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys aren't being realistic. People don't want to feel stagnant. If they put in an 8 hour play session, they want to see progress, advancement, and gain power. You can't just say, "the gameplay is good, so who cares how long it takes to level" unless you want people to burn out.

I think Vanilla WoW, if you remove all other factors outside of time-to-level progression, did it the best of any MMO ever. Again, just purely speaking from the perspective of time put in, to levels go out. The fact that they did an always visible, screen-wide exp bar helped as well. Every kill, you saw that bitch move.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
You guys aren't being realistic. People don't want to feel stagnant. If they put in an 8 hour play session, they want to see progress, advancement, and gain power. You can't just say, "the gameplay is good, so who cares how long it takes to level" unless you want people to burn out.

I think Vanilla WoW, if you remove all other factors outside of time-to-level progression, did it the best of any MMO ever. Again, just purely speaking from the perspective of time put in, to levels go out. The fact that they did an always visible, screen-wide exp bar helped as well. Every kill, you saw that bitch move.
So rush to max level so you can feel progress, then quit due to boredom and have nothing to do or get tired of the repetitive endgame. That's better how?

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
I still don't see where we disagree. I'm AGREEING with you. I just think there are a few mechanics that could be done away with. Namely week/month long mob camps for items, flagging etc. That's our only disagreement from what I can see, with my 3rd grade reading comprehension and all...dude.
These "tedious" aspects of EQ, such as waiting for hours for some shitty fucking no drop item to spawn on the ground. That was not much you could do except talk to friends in game/read forums/do whatever. However what it did require is a break from killing shit, camping a dungeon for that piece of loot or xp that you were looking for. Once you got the item off the ground you could go back to killing shit. It made dungeoning a little more "special". I am not saying that this exact timesink is required in a game, but something that gives the player that aspect of "being in a dungeon/grinding xp/loot is special because I don't always get to do it in this game" is a positive thing.

Also, you called me out first sir. Maybe you should go back and read that? <3

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I've said it before.. It's all relevant. I mean, in EQ the levels were slow.. but say while you were on a hell level you came across a new ability or clicky or whatever else that advances your character. It's not the same as gaining 2 levels in a 4 hour gaming session but it's still something. To me progress is progress. if I got half a level in EQ for 6 hours, I felt it was still progress. I think people just want something to change with their character every time they log. Be it level, ability or item. I don't need that instant gratification every session

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would prefer a very long leveling curve, but it requires that there be real content all along the path. One of my favorite times in EQ was questing for low level SK gear in CT. It was good gear for the level and lasted me a long time.

The problem with today's leveling speeds is they make getting mid level gear irrelevant. Crafting mid level gear is also a waste of time. You out level anything worth while so fast that getting decent mid level gear is pointless. And think of all that wasted dev time.

Either you make levels take a long hall like old EQ or eliminate them. This bullcrap WoW style leveling we have now is stupid.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Like I said that pace of leveling would be fine, but there would need to be a large number of ways to alternatively progress and the game world would need to be huge.

I wouldn't mind gaining a level a week or even a month if in that time I was able to help change the game world. Help a town grow, or a mountain become inhabited by wayward dorfs. In the process is gain exp and also maybe get a unique ability or spell. Hell if the world is big enough let traveling have so.e sort of progress associated with it (not dumb elite achievements). Been in a mountain killing and questing? Maybe you gain skill in recognizing dorf runes and can discover areas and caves more easily in mountainous regions.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
So rush to max level so you can feel progress, then quit due to boredom and have nothing to do or get tired of the repetitive endgame. That's better how?
Funny. I did this exact thing in vanilla wow. I grinded up to 60 on my warrior...mostly solo, realized that was the gayest thing ever and quit. I did not feel any sense of progress or gratification by hitting 60 in wow. I don't understand how someone can feel as if they advanced or progressed while playing solo in a multiplayer game.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Timmy is the first to care because EVERY MMO he ever played was designed for rushing through to level cap because the game begins there, and then repeating the same small list of activities for months until it was replaced by a new, similar list. That is literally all that Timmy knows and expects from MMOs.

I think you underestimate how hard it is to sell a long leveling curve to people that expect the leveling time to be an entry fee into the actual game. Leveling *being* the game doesnt occur to those people and they treat it that way. That also makes sure they dont come around and realize they're doing it wrong and start playing instead of racing through.

Just remember the threads about early GW2 and Neverwinter online. Might have been ok for GW2 if you aimed for WvW dominance but PVE-wise you miss out. And especially the latter was ridiculous with many people boring themselves through levels in the foundry instead of just playing. I've said that before but i think you need to sledge hammer that attitude away by simply not having levels. EQN aims to replaced old expectations with something new, I hope level-based advancement goes to the way of the dodo.

Edit: GW2s downscaling is a great feature to keep content interesting for later, they just screwed up by not having any carrots anywhere in their game. Hell GW1 did that better while also having a nearly non-existant leveling game through the tons of skills you could capture in all kinds of content. Thats another strike against levels (and expansion mudflation ala WoW) in my book.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What does Timmy care as long as he has fun leveling those 14 hours a week? His time restrictions obviously won't allow him to be on the bleeding edge of content anyways. So what's the gripe?
Because the"END GAME"

He has been conditioned now that it all starts there, not before.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I also appreciate what GW2 tried to do with getting rid of the trinity. It had to be tried, and people learned that they really do like have roles to play. Fortunately, that style of play fits what GW2 likes to do which is a lot of solo or open zerg content.
I still think the idea of a trinity-less mmo has merit, it's just that GW2's solution to it was flawed. GW2's take on it was to make it so all classes performed all roles of the trinity, typically all at the same time. This made it so that coordination was less necessary in groups, and everyone would just sorta do their own thing; it also made the classes less distinct from one another, and so they all felt more generic.

If I were to make a trinity-less mmo, I would try to do the exact opposite of GW2; where GW2 went with less specialized classes, I would try to make them even more specialized. Each class has its own very specific playstyle, which doesn't easily fall into one of the trinity roles, and which no other class can really mimic. Like GW2, any combination of classes can make a viable group, but an effective group depends on the players figuring out how to mesh together the playstyles of the component classes, and knowing how the group dynamic is changed by the presence or absence of a particular class.

No idea how the specific class mechanics would work out for a game like that, but I think the general idea has merit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So in senescence youre still making a holy trinity that way, maybe not warrior cleric chanter, but some other must have trio or wahtever. There is only so many specialized roles you can have inside a mmo.