EQ Never

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I gotta say.. The more I think about all this the less optimist I'm becoming about EQN being anything other than another game made for the masses with a PTW cash shop.. I remember Smed making comments about EQN being more like the original EQ. I don't understand why they couldn't keep that vision with a sandbox? If they came out and said this game will be a lot similar to EQ1 but a sandbox, a lot of us would be drooling.. Instead we are just hearing it's nothing like anything we have ever seen.. which means they are deciding what they think we will like. There are countless examples here of their bad decision making in regards to deciding for us. I'm 50/50 at this point on this. Which is dissapointing because I'm coming to the realization that my MMO days might just be over.
My idea of EQN with a cash shop: Just died and lost 49 on Seafury island? For 500 SC, you can be automatically rezzed! Tired of mana regenning slowly? Need HP buffs? Run fast? For 200 sc get a heroic bond/clarity/sow potion for the whole group.

My idea of EQN with a cash shop: Just died and lost 49 on Seafury island? For 500 SC, you can be automatically rezzed! Tired of mana regenning slowly? Need HP buffs? Run fast? For 200 sc get a heroic bond/clarity/sow potion for the whole group.
That's exactly how Vanguard works. Fwiw.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That sounds like buying the Everquest box and paying extra to play it like WoW.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What's the point in PTW again? Hopefully there would only be a subset of servers that support this garbage (hopefully called the Trust Fund Babies server set or something equally representative). One of the best things about EQ was the sense of accomplishment you got from getting that level, managing that train, kiting those mobs, whatever. Take that away and you have WoW-o-matic.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What's the point in PTW again? Hopefully there would only be a subset of servers that support this garbage (hopefully called the Trust Fund Babies server set or something equally representative). One of the best things about EQ was the sense of accomplishment you got from getting that level, managing that train, kiting those mobs, whatever. Take that away and you have WoW-o-matic.
Aren't all SOE games basically like this now? I was playing EQ for a bit about a year ago and every server was 'Station Cash' enabled and you could buy all sorts of Experience and buff potions at will. I have to imagine that EQ Next is going to implement this business plan as well. I would be very surprised if it didn't.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, they are. I wish they weren't, but... whatever, it's the new business model. There's no escaping "progress".

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
TBH with you, thanks to Station Cash, this so-call "sandbox" EQN is gonna endup without sand...

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Aren't all SOE games basically like this now? I was playing EQ for a bit about a year ago and every server was 'Station Cash' enabled and you could buy all sorts of Experience and buff potions at will. I have to imagine that EQ Next is going to implement this business plan as well. I would be very surprised if it didn't.
think they would maybe just offer one server that was monthly sub only with no station cash? cause otherwise, i honestly can't see myself playing EQN.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have no clue, it just seems that is their business model these days, so I can't imagine it not being a staple in their next game. That being said, I'm on the fence about "station cash". If the actual game is good, it would go a long way in helping people care less about it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I dunno. The way I see it, if people are going to PTW, at least they can do it in a controlled fashion so it doesn't screw the in-game economy quite as badly. That makes things arguably better for others who don't want to be forced into using Station Cash.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
I'm guessing it's wildly optimistic to expect them to implement different rule servers like SH and FV rather than shitting up everywhere with micro transactions.

90Proof_sl

shitlord
Anyone go to the last SOE Fan Faire in Las Vegas? David "SmokeJumper" Georgeson, Director of Development for the Everquest franchise, mentioned a few things:

1. "Everquest and Everquest II are essentially different layers of the multiverse that is Norrath." He goes on to point out that the current expansions for both games touch in one place, the afterlife ... Ethernere. David states that EQ Next will be another layer in that multiverse "... the same characters (and) you get the same kinds of places but totally new stories."

2. The Forge Light mmo engine is thebaselinethat they will be building on. I am guessing that they are modifying it to better fit the features found in SOEmote, Player Studio, and Dungeon Maker.

The hour and a half plus broadcast is on the twitch.tv,SOE Live 2012: DCUO and EverQuest Franchise Keynote.Scroll on over to around 1:35:33.