EQ Never

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I'll never forget EQ. Maybe the general population will. But I'll remember the times I had in EQ until the days when I'm in a nursing home.
With you on that one. There is a good chance I would end up forgetting friends and family names or who I am but still remember and go on about days of EQ for some reason. Talking about zones and remember whens....

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
If only all the customer base would do the same. Except there are so many who actually enjoy shitty games. Le sigh.
I honestly don't know if they like shitty games or they're bored and have no impulse control. I can think of all the times I was bored and searched for stuff to play. These days, I'll just go to the gym or something. Screw playing shit that sucks.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yeah I'd have to agree I think its more boredom with lack of impulse control for many than actually enjoying games. Now there are idiots that enjoy anything, take Defiance as an example. Shit game, completely shit and there are idiots defending it even now in the thread.

Great thing about that is you know who to ignore when it comes to game opinions.

One other thing. While we are tired of the tried and true mmo formula there are a whole new crop of kids turning gaming age every day that have never played WoW or know anything about MMO's. When we stopped playing with GI-Joe's because it got old and stale they continued on just the same. MMO's will do the same with or without innovation and certainly without us old coots telling people how we used to camp a single spot for weeks to get a rare piece of gear.

Even if EQN delivers half of what they promises it will help move the genre forwards. Hopefully that will be the case and all this just wasn't over hype from a company whose name has been synonymous with mediocrity for years.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Lets do that.

I knew Butler was fucking another chick behind Michelle's back before he strapped on the plastic.

Devil's advocate? Call it the truth you gutless twine.

It is what it is. Good talent will be abused to fuck for sony coins... but WAIT.... You can trade those back and forth like you can do with the gems and GW2 and real dollars.

Grow a fucking design team instead of relying on players o make your content for you.

Going to bed. People can read what I said (Without a blog or profit) and make up their own minds.

EQ Next will be a fucking side show.
Well, at least Ut left the TESO thread for a while. That said he added nothing about EQ:N that wasn't already known.

Also, nobody gives a fuck who is banging whom, and never did. Holy soap opera silliness, Batman.

Fuck static world MMO content and paying for quest hubs.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
To be fair, ut is also attempting to lower peoples exceptions, which is a good thing. It is good because if your expectations are too high, the game will suck for you no matter what.
Oh bullshit. Will you stop sucking his cock already?

He just likes to point and laugh at people who are hoping on the off-chance a game might come out and actually be good. And then when the game inevitably sucks he's going to rub it in everyone's face.

Don't act like he gives a shit about people's expectations.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's amazing watching people blindly dragging their nuts through broken glass (again) hoping SOE will produce something that isn't an abject failure. "Wait for the reveal"? Really? Why? What has Georgeson's leadership been since taking over the EQ franchise? Destroyed itemization in EQ2? Broken and pathetic features via the dungeon maker, dungeon finder, and the "I can make my oOH-face" in-game? The only successful "feature" we've seen in the EQ franchise under Georgeson's leadership has been maximizing the monetization of everything in-game at the expense of the existing (and dwindling) player-base and calling it Free-To-Play. But somehow, after all that, there is going to be an OMG amazing Everquest game that is going to drive the genre forward. Are you fucking kidding me?

SoE is like a family that practices incest and wonders why all their kids are retarded.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Idk what's worse, game companies putting out crap games or gamers wishing the games suck so they can laugh at others but still go out and buy the crap games. Vicious cycle I tell you...
Seriously..

It's my hope/understanding that EQN will have a huge core game in place separate from all the side show stuff? That's why I remain optimistic about EQN. If they get the core game right, I'm ok. I don't really care about all the side show shit. If I end up liking that stuff it's just a bonus. I'll be the first to say if this game blows tho..

I didn't really respond to this before but I should state that currently I think it is an even odds that EQN releases with actiony combat - e.g. Wiz creates a fireball, it sizzles in his hand, and he right clicks to throw it in the direction of the target rectacle and it burns everything where it hits (destructable terrain). Unfortunately, I think destructable terrain (mentioned by Smed) works better with actiony combat and actiony combat works better with consoles. As always, we'll see next week.
Maybe but it doesn't have to. I also think those features will turn out to be not much more than gimmicks anyway.

1) Destructible terrain I suspect will be more like the rifts that pop up in rift - it's mostly just a texture that gets put on the ground. Makes grass look like burned cracked ground etc. Do that to the trees and stuff too and in a bigger area, and that's about it.

2) Combined spells - probably just work like dragon age and whatever else. You cast an ice spell to freeze an enemy, and if someone shoots an earth spell afterwards it shatters the mob causing extra damage. Use oil/grease on the mob to ruin its stats, and if you then set fire to it, the oil burns causing lots of damage, etc. You can do all that with slow cast spells too. The concern I have is that there are only several possibilities of these combos (again like dragon age..) and so it becomes less about watching the game and playing smart, and more about just knowing you have a wiz who uses fire all the time so you need to you use oil all the time.

I hope it works more interesting than that but whenever a game hypes features like this (like dragon age..) they always end up being less interesting than I imagined. Would be nice to be pleasantly surprised for a change though.

Again, if you want to claim to have knowledge about the 'entire thing', then prove it. If not just shut the fuck up about it
This x 1000

I wont post the rest because I promised. Now shut the fuck up you little bitch.
You are one sad bastard. I have spoken to Brad McQuaid multiple times by email, I don't pretend to be an insider. He would never tell me insider info. Not that I would even ask.

You don't know anything, you are just a tool.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It's amazing watching people blindly dragging their nuts through broken glass (again) hoping SOE will produce something that isn't an abject failure. "Wait for the reveal"? Really? Why? What has Georgeson's leadership been since taking over the EQ franchise? Destroyed itemization in EQ2? Broken and pathetic features via the dungeon maker, dungeon finder, and the "I can make my oOH-face" in-game? The only successful "feature" we've seen in the EQ franchise under Georgeson's leadership has been maximizing the monetization of everything in-game at the expense of the existing (and dwindling) player-base and calling it Free-To-Play. But somehow, after all that, there is going to be an OMG amazing Everquest game that is going to drive the genre forward. Are you fucking kidding me?

SoE is like a family that practices incest and wonders why all their kids are retarded.
You should do angry podcasts.

Basically, we're all hoping with cynical optimism. This isn't "dragging our nuts through broken glass". This is hoping that they deliver on their promises of taking EQ back to its roots.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

I am going to quote this everytime teekay posts.

Hey Teekay, grassroots viral time is over.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Basically, we're all hoping with cynical optimism. This isn't "dragging our nuts through broken glass". This is hoping that they deliver on their promises of taking EQ back to its roots.
It's delusional. I want a game that goes back to EQ's roots as well, but you think these clowns that can actually do it? Based on all of their collective experience, what gives you the impression you could even get half the game you're even looking forward to?

I know I'll get slapped by Ut for mentioning it, but Vanguard in Friends & Family beta was the closest to a "EQ back to its roots" game there ever has been and probably ever will be. Had Sigil actually stuck to their guns and not completely fumbled the execution from that point until launch, it would have been something in the marketplace that was somewhat different. Not sure it would have been successful, but it would have satisfied the niche that the nostalgia ridden lemmings around here clamor for. However, poor leadership and legendary resource mis-management rue the day. Thankfully, we have part of that award-winning team heading up EQ-Next.
rolleyes.png

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I am going to quote this everytime teekay posts.

Hey Teekay, grassroots viral time is over.
Show me where I've ever claimed EQN is going to be an "OMG Amazing Game".

I don't even think anyone in this thread has, to be honest - considering we know next to nothing about it yet.

As Big W Powah said, most are hoping for the best, but cynical about whether SoE can actually deliver.

Unfortunately in the mean time we get to deal with you, who seems to get off on belittling people who simply hope for a good MMO to play again.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Show me where I've ever claimed EQN is going to be an "OMG Amazing Game".

I don't even think anyone in this thread has, to be honest - considering we know next to nothing about it yet.

As Big W Powah said, most are hoping for the best, but cynical about whether SoE can actually deliver.

Unfortunately in the mean time we get to deal with you, who seems to get off on belittling people who simply hope for a good MMO to play again.
I've seen a fair few people say this is there last hope for MMO's... if that's not high expectations I don't know what is. Also to say that a lot of people here aren't expecting something special is straight bullshit. There is absolutely no information on this game and yet it is EASILY the most talked about game on this forum. If this game wasn't called Everquest Next no one would give a shit but because it's got the name people are seriously going crazy for it. I have got absolutely no idea what this dev team has done to make you guys think they are some Uber squad.

Let's put it this way if there was an all-star dev team put together by a company that had unlimited money barely any of this team would make the cut if any at all. It's like one of the shittest NBA team comes out and starts telling the press in pre-season they are going to completely dominate the comp this year but they haven't won a comp in 14 years and have barely recruited anyone.... Yeah sounds a bit fucken stupid doesn't it.

UT is like the fat weird kid at school who saw a superman movie and then claims he can actually fly. And if anyone calls him a retard, he goes ape and then cries.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
If this game wasn't called Everquest Next no one would give a shit but because it's got the name people are seriously going crazy for it.
Sez the guy pining for UO2.
wink.png

I do think you're right, but why dash what small amount of hope we have? I don't see people going crazy, but cautiously optimistic and ignoring the fact Smed is incompetent and SOE is, well, SOE.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Sez the guy pining for UO2.
wink.png

I do think you're right, but why dash what small amount of hope we have? I don't see people going crazy, but cautiously optimistic and ignoring the fact Smed is incompetent and SOE is, well, SOE.
Pining for UO 2? It was more a joke then anything although I would want a UO 2 but not made by a team that has been releasing shit for 14 years. I want the concept not the same guys to remake it. We need fresh blood in the MMO industry IMO. Fresh blood that takes the good of the old school games and evolves it further.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not for nothing DMK but if UO2 was announced you would be excited at least cautiously optimist. Like a lot of people are. This might be my last MMO. not b/c all of my hopes are on it but b/c up until it got closer I just didn't care about MMO's. When people say that... I don't think it's because they are on some kind of unhealthy emotional roller coaster with these games.. It's more b/c they have moved on for the most part and think an EQN failure will be the nail in the coffin. Are there die hards this will crush? sure.. but overall I think it's just a lot of us are getting older and more busy with life plus not having games made that cater to our play style.

Ut.. if you have that many Dev's sending you info and complaining about the industry, you need to put them all in a forum and figure out how to get an Indie company started with them. If you don't like something, change it. They have the tools to do that. The money would possibly be the only hangup.