EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
be more inclined to believe they don't know some very detailed specifics. Everyone in that fucking office knows exactly what's in EQN from a high level.
Nah. It's actually locked. There'd be more leaks and we'd know about combat mechanics for sure - it's been a year since the revamp. I'll bet Smed has flat out stated that if he's able to trace a leak to someone that person is fired and I wouldn't put it past Smed to float false info within SOE to try and fine leakers. Smed must have an idol of Steve Job on his desk given the new level of secrecy

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Now they may be missing some details
Ut and Flip are missing way more than "some details"

The all quests is all storybricks is speculation. That could just be part of the quest system. It could be mixed with EQ1 or WoW.
Re-review the videos. Storybricks doesn't mix well with old-style quests. though maybe you're right and they kludged them together. *shrug*

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nah. It's actually locked. There'd be more leaks and we'd know about combat mechanics for sure - it's been a year since the revamp. I'll bet Smed has flat out stated that if he's able to trace a leak to someone that person is fired and I wouldn't put it past Smed to float false info within SOE to try and fine leakers. Smed must have an idol of Steve Job on his desk given the new level of secrecy
More likely the threat of firing is all its taking honestly. Within the organization, shit will be known. I just wrapped up a "Kill you if you Knew" project for a major Fortune 500 company and yet everyone fucking knew in house what was up despite their not supposed to. Same in Sony...nobody outside our company knows jack and shit. Nevermind the distinct lack of professionalism this industry tends to ingratiate itself to.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they finally realized how internet culture works and people are keeping tight on it. I mean Blizzard is known for its secrecy too, but its pretty damn obvious that the WoW designers knew exactly what was in Titan.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nope. Instanced PvP is a wasteland not a bonus. I'm totally fine with no PvP at all (EQ1) but if you're going to have PvP in a game it needs to have something to do with the game, not off in a corner. Completely unsandboxy.
I'm not getting this Tad. If there are all out PvP servers where the world is contested based on faction plus the ability for players to make PvP instances why is a bad thing? The world PvP is already there so it would have something to do with the game. Allowing players to create some additional pvp content is bonus b/c there is no telling what they will come up with. Guilds creating a zone and bragging that no other guild can defeat them in it.. etc...

tad10

Elisha Dushku
More likely the threat of firing is all its taking honestly.
Well if they know they're only leaking droplets. Combat/destructible world are key mechanics that no one knows about. Then again, there was an interesting article on secrecy at Apple at Forbes or some other magazine - long story short, at Apple you never ask what someone else is working on, and they never tell you because presumably it is secret. Not the article but related.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bus...le-4679433.php

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Allowing players to create some additional pvp content is bonus b/c there is no telling what they will come up with. Guilds creating a zone and bragging that no other guild can defeat them in it.. etc...
It's a big pile of meh if it is outside the world... Generally instancing anything is bad and here they're creating a bunch of instanced out-of-the-world content. The big selling point of a sandbox is that you can change the world. Not possible with instanced content.

As for the PvP servers, why would anyone bother with instanced PvP on a PvP server? Not a rhetorical question. Anyone?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a big pile of meh if it is outside the world... Generally instancing anything is bad and here they're creating a bunch of instanced out-of-the-world content. The big selling point of a sandbox is that you can change the world. Not possible with instanced content.

As for the PvP servers, why would anyone bother with instanced PvP on a PvP server? Not a rhetorical question. Anyone?
I gave you an example.. We don't know the ins and outs of building one and what benefit they might bring but bragging rights is one. But overall I'm betting they are for the PvE people who occasionally want to PvP but not all the time. I'm assuming all player made content will be the cash store stuff. So people may not like it... but if that's what largely funds the game and allows us to play for free and have no PTW cash shop features, is it really that bad?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The guy that created storybricks, Psychochild, I recognize from trying to revive M59...has he done anything besides that?
Stephane Bura is lead developer of StoryBricks, Brian Green was the Storybricks to MMO application guy IIRC. And in answer to your question, not much on the game resume that I could find, but man did he spend a lot of time on M59.

Peasant_sl

shitlord
I might get linched for this but this needs to be on PS4. I haven't been keeping up with this thread much since it moves so fast. Has anything to that effect been announced or hinted at?
Project M

The PS4 crowd should be playing as mobs fighting against adventurers playing on their computers. Give the PS4 players the ability to build up their lair in blackburrow with enhanced defenses.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess it depends if the open world actually has some kind of benefit to it(in this case it could also depend if dungeons are open or not). Otherwise its just ganking/griefing and the organized pvp moves to instanced. To use WoW(I played on a pvp server)the open world pvp is interesting when a game just launches when everyone is fighting to level up, do dungeons etc but after about 3-5 months(depends on the pace of leveling) it turns into max levels going after those still trying to level up. A lot of that was effected by instanced content(dungeons), if dungeons are open world here or even raids, then open world pvp can actually stay fun and competitive(not counting if there is some other objectives scattered around or some kind of territory system). Fighting over the dragons and kazzak were fun as hell but all rewards for PVP were moved to instanced pvp, so that's where people went.

Also doing instanced pvp gives you a break from typical zergs or other variables that can happen in the open world. It's nice to have some structured matches here and then to mess around in.

Project M

The PS4 crowd should be playing as mobs fighting against adventurers playing on their computers. Give the PS4 players the ability to build up their lair in blackburrow with enhanced defenses.
Lol, I admit I would have fun with this.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So people may not like it... but if that's what largely funds the game and allows us to play for free and haveno PTW cash shop features, is it really that bad?
That's a huge assumption but per Carl better to wait for the Aug 2d info release - I could be concerned about something that ends being wrong, or getting cut or being such a minor part as to be easily ignorable.

@Cinge fair enough

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
because even big bad pvp players realize once there are no pve players, they will be the sheep to the better pvpers wolves. Once that happens, they figure they will play instanced...maybe it will be better.

All sounds promising to me. The only question mark for me (besides combat) is about the player made content. If it's strictly controlled it could be great, but billybobsBadazzDungeon05 would be a nightmare.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of Rift's most popular servers is Seastone, the PvP server. But Rift's open world PvP sucks. Occasionally a higher level ganks lowbies but for the most part you don't see the other side. If you want to PvP it's faster to just queue up for an instance. Which means less people PvPing in the open world who then also queue up.

Instanced PvP can be fun but it kills open world PvP.

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord
instanced pvp is stupid. Just remake EQ pvp servers, you have a good m ix there and they were healthy all the way until GOD.

EDIT: why the hell is this so hard for people to understand? This instancing, all open blah blah blah stupid pvp crap. Just remake EQ PVP and be done with it!

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I saw flips post, had a few nice things (if its true). But what is this UT info people are referring to? I can't see the post.
Cookie-cutter player-made dungeons and picking up a class based item gives you access to that class or some similar BS.

@Vegetoee yes I had my fill of it with WoW.