EQ Never

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I had a diagram for this at one point but the jist of it is imagine I'm friends with Tad and Utnayan but they have each other on ignore. In my phase I see Tad and Utnayan. Tad sees me, Utnayan sees me, but neither of them see each other. Utnayan starts fighting a mob, what do all of us see? What does Tad see if I start helping Utnayan? Does he see me fighting empty space? What if Tad wants to help me fight? Does he now see the mob and Utnayan?
That is probably the single biggest theoretical roadblock to proper phasing that I can think of. In the example you list then I'm pretty sure the only truly viable way to handle it would be for you to simply vanish from Tad's perspective or simply for you to never appear to one or the other in the first place. If you are in a party with one of them then you share a phase and if you are in a party with neither then you get shifted into the same phase as one but not the other. With lots of "friends" and "ignores" it could potentially be confusing with lots of isolation but then the solution defaults to "be in a group if you want to share a phase" and then there is no more problem.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
They did not fix the hell level thing until after luclin if im not mistaken. By then there was more than enough content, hell if thats the reason, some conspiracy, why did they not fix it when they released Kunark? Kunark alone gave enough high level content where this was no longer an issue.
They fixed them in Velious.

And not really on Kunark. At level cap of 50, Kunark only supplied 4-5 areas on launch of where one could go to get experience without being keyed (And both key quests were bugged because the content wasn't complete - which was high level 55+ dungeon running anyway)

Key post 50 leveling in Kunark was Karnor's Castle, Droga (Which no one went too because no loot was found here) Skyfire Mountains, with HS and Seb seeing action about 2 months later after folks were properly keyed and those areas were finished. Aside from that most sought after loot was still in vanilla. And until they created hot zones to solve that issue of under utilization, the most utilized leveling areas in Kunark was Lake of Ill Omen and KC. (And Later, Seb) - - After Chardok was revamped much later that became popular as well.

So really when Velious came without a level cap increase, they could feasibly have enough content and went back in. But hell levels were not a math anomaly. They were fixed multipliers.

Nothing really conspiracy about it. Other than, at the time, these people were idiots and never told the simple truth.

And like another poster above me said, it worked. (Kinda)

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider

And not really on Kunark. At level cap of 50, Kunark only supplied 4-5 areas on launch of where one could go to get experience without being keyed (And both key quests were bugged because the content wasn't complete - which was high level 55+ dungeon running anyway)

Key post 50 leveling in Kunark was Karnor's Castle, Droga (Which no one went too because no loot was found here) Skyfire Mountains, with HS and Seb seeing action about 2 months later after folks were properly keyed and those areas were finished. Aside from that most sought after loot was still in vanilla. And until they created hot zones to solve that issue of under utilization, the most utilized leveling areas in Kunark was Lake of Ill Omen and KC. (And Later, Seb) - - After Chardok was revamped much later that became popular as well.

So really when Velious came without a level cap increase, they could feasibly have enough content and listed it.

Nothing really conspiracy about it. Other than, at the time, these people were idiots and never told the simple truth.

And like another poster above me said, it worked. (Kinda)
LOIO, OT, DL always being packed simply due to it being almost impossible to die in those zones pulling a steady stream of mobs :p

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Aaaah, so many memories outside karnor. And that dragon fkin up with us, forgot the name Gore something.

Brb, have to go masturbate with my nostalgia lube.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Man I remember the sarnak fort in LOIO as an enchanter, the pulls from inside and having to get a mes rotation going... And then the various camps along the wall of Karnors. Some of my best encounters with players were at those times.

I tell you, I really enjoyed the hell out of the enchanter class.

belfast_sl

shitlord
No one should ever be able to choose to not see someone in an mmo, no matter how big of an asshole they are. Ignore text? Sure. Effectively remove them from the game/server? Nope. Especially if there's pvp. I don't even know how that could make sense. I bet a lot of shitheads wish they could have hidden me in vanilla wow so I couldn't impact their experience.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Man I remember the sarnak fort in LOIO as an enchanter, the pulls from inside and having to get a mes rotation going... And then the various camps along the wall of Karnors. Some of my best encounters with players were at those times.

Yeah. I never played that class specifically. But every group needed one. They were a necessity.

I think the groups I remember most of all would be, in no particular order:

Unrest
Lower Guk (Mage, Lord and Frenzi camps)
Sebilis Crypt

Aaaah, so many memories outside karnor. And that dragon fkin up with us, forgot the name Gore something.

Brb, have to go masturbate with my nostalgia lube.
Karnors Castle inside they used to be a monk named Train with sur name Trainpuller

Train Trainpuller he used to Train the zone in with like 1000 mobs and named and while doing it yell Train then he would feign dead near the zone in.

It was Comedy Gold what then would insue.

The zone chat would then be tons of F bombs from all the players he killed, he pretty much became legend on the server for being the most hated man to loved by some for the comedy gold he would cause.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nope, well into luclin. actually right before PoP.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2002-2.html
September 4, 2002 3:00 am

** Experience Changes **

- We have smoothed out level progression from 50-60. This should
mitigate the "penalty effect" that occurs in levels 51, 54 and 59. Note
that it will cost the same experience to level from 50 to 60 as it did
before. Also, death experience loss will appear different in some
levels. This is an unfortunate side effect that must remain to prevent
some experience exploits.
- We have rebalanced the rewards for killing NPCs for characters over
level 50. NPCs that are considerably weaker than you will give you less
experience. NPCs give more experience the higher level they are, and
for the best results you should fight the most challenging monsters you
can reasonably manage.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Yeah. I never played that class specifically. But every group needed one. They were a necessity.

I think the groups I remember most of all would be, in no particular order:

Unrest
Lower Guk (Mage, Lord and Frenzi camps)
Sebilis Crypt
One of the coolest things would be coming out of the tunnel from the Spire in Dreadlands towards Karnors with lev on.. And just flying high above the zone watching people fight below you as you were asking for a group on the way down to the camps.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
The Minor Illusion(?) spells was comedy gold. Turning yourself into a gold coin in the starting area and watching beggars try to pick you up; or turning yourself into a copy of the entrance to Neriak...

Braen

<Medals Crew>
If they can bring that playstyle back for EQN, I wil be there day one. And maybe even Mistwalkers.

/insert joke here!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The ench in the right hands was a beast in the higher levels. Well that is until they nerfed their asses( charm). Now nobody even needs them anymore. quite sad really.

jcr4990_sl

shitlord
The ench in the right hands was a beast in the higher levels. Well that is until they nerfed their asses( charm). Now nobody even needs them anymore. quite sad really.
Yeah.. Cause people invited Enchanters to the group for charm.. Can't tell if sarcasm?

I mained Enchanter throughout most of my EQ career. Retired as 2nd best geared enc on Xegony and top 25 serverwide around Prophecy of Ro launch. I don't remember groups ever wanting me to charm anything. It was always more of a liability than an asset in groups. I did it once in a while but it was usually against my groups wishes. Charm was there for soloing. Enchanters were invited to groups for buffs/slows/CC. Keeping KEI permanently on your cleric was reason enough to bring an enc though. Everything else was just fluff :p

Braen

<Medals Crew>
yeah I usually only used charm to solo and for special BoT groups. other than that it was , keep haste up, slow the mobs (if there wasn't a shammy), rune the puller, tash sometimes and CC

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That is probably the single biggest theoretical roadblock to proper phasing that I can think of. In the example you list then I'm pretty sure the only truly viable way to handle it would be for you to simply vanish from Tad's perspective or simply for you to never appear to one or the other in the first place. If you are in a party with one of them then you share a phase and if you are in a party with neither then you get shifted into the same phase as one but not the other. With lots of "friends" and "ignores" it could potentially be confusing with lots of isolation but then the solution defaults to "be in a group if you want to share a phase" and then there is no more problem.
I think phasing is the wrong word for it, but maybe you can call it dynamic population loading (hah!). Essentially each zone or area loads people based on a hierarchy. Let's say an area is designed to hold or support 40 people. So the game needs to make multiple copies of the zone once you get to 40+ people. So instead of the people in each zone being arbitrary and also forcing you to instance hop until you find a good one, you create a social hierarchy.

The game client/server would have to record people you interact with. So once you enter in an area the game will put you into an instance copy with people that match this criteria:

Friend List
Guild Roster
People you've whispered in the last 10 minutes.
People you've whispered in the last 2/4/8/10/24 hours
People you've grouped with in the last 48 hours.
People you've whispered in the last 48 hours.
People you've traded with in the last 48 hours.
People you've been in combat with or near in the last 48 hours.
People you've grouped with in the last 10 days.
People you've whispered in the last 10 days.
People you've traded with in the last 10 days.
People you've been in combat with or near in the last 10 days.

Random people

The 48 hour number is arbitrary, it could be anything.

You would put an extremely high emphasis on those in your guild and friends list. Then you would populate the region with as many people that are connected with each other. Hopefully the regions can hold more than 40 (again it was a random number, make it 1000) people though. This way you also get rid of servers as well. The more you interact with people the bigger chance you can create your own organic community.

There would be areas that have higher population caps so you're always introduced to newer people. You can always send whispers to anyone in the game. This way if you communicate with a friend, new player, you will have a very high priority to be around that person. You can then create real instanced areas in cities for taverns to meet up with specific people to do trading hand to hand or whatever. If you meet up with someone in any of these instances they go to the top of your priority list.

The more you're around people, the higher likelihood they will show up in your circle of interactive people.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Nope, well into luclin. actually right before PoP.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2002-2.html
September 4, 2002 3:00 am

** Experience Changes **

- We have smoothed out level progression from 50-60. This should
mitigate the "penalty effect" that occurs in levels 51, 54 and 59. Note
that it will cost the same experience to level from 50 to 60 as it did
before. Also, death experience loss will appear different in some
levels. This is an unfortunate side effect that must remain to prevent
some experience exploits.
Those are the Kunark hell levels.

We are talking about original. (At least I thought we were?)

Level 30, 35, 40, and 45 in vanilla EQ.

Although I do like the patch note above as well. It solidifies the fact they used hell levels at key areas to avoid as much content congestion as they could.But this isn't anything new. WoW does it as well with every expansion. It's just SOE flat out were retards in their explanation of it originally.