EQ Never

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
We're a ways off gents.

"omeedd 2 points 17 minutes ago

Well, I admit, it may be hard to top this SOE Live for sheer awesome, but we'll do our best to make the next one better.

My thinking: SOE Live 2013 is mind-blowing and it's really about wrapping our heads around what this game is going to be.

SOE Live 2014: We'll have had plenty of time to digest and discuss, plus a BUNCH more stuff out there... it'll be a phenomenal opportunity to get into the details and really discuss the game with our team."

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can the AI really provide that kind of interesting and dynamic combat experience?
I'm going with no until proven otherwise. As soon as you remove a aggro mechanic, the AI tends to just run around randomly attacking the person who just did something. Even if they add in some type of code that makes certain effects(damage, buff, debuff etc) more "threatening" then others, its still a quasi aggro system and the mob will just be so fucking confused or players will learn to use the highest ability to kite the mob around. If you don't had in any kind of variable, its a free for all, with just random aggro and running around like a chicken.

Him comparing it to MTG or LoL is just laughable. You can't take PVP and try to push that extremely flexible combat into PVE.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The interaction of the skills you have available (from your various unlocked classes) and how your gear modifies them (choice of the items you have acquired) kinda sounds like Diablo 3 abilities and their respective runes. I hope they have alot more "rune effects" then.

So far I have the impression each of the classes comes with only a few skills, like 4. Is that correct? I'm wondering if that means utility isnt part of the skill set (wizard ports) or hidden in the various sub classes (qeynos wizards knows that portal, acquire "Sorceror of the plains" class that knows Karana portal, etc). Or does each class have more skills with higher tiers? How many more when we're looking at utility stuff like port/levitate/invis/sow?

I really believe EQ1 was close to having it figured out. You needed a healer but healers ultimately need slowers or cc'ers. Who all needed tanks. Your mana pool needed DPS. In a sense, you be completely efficient in groups and in raids, you needed the pieces of the puzzle. They came in different packages and I know we've all been in a ton of different group make-ups but I don't see why they can't just make it to where groups of classes possess a piece of that successful equation. You categorize classes into Tanks, DPS, CC/SLOW, Heals and then allow them to choose which category they choose. Then everyone has the freedom to build their class and everyone is part of the equation.
I like it. Everyone does some DPS + a specialized role, of which many different roles are needed for group content. Would be nice to see roles expanded beyond the traditional 3-4 as well.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
The thing is that most of these systems aren't even fully developed yet. You could see from the videos they posted that some stuff like AI is basically non-existent right now. Those videos were VERY scripted. Any real information about the inner workings of this game is not going to come out of SOE Live. Not this year anyway.
Yep, the even admitted that the mob that did fight back was being controlled by a developer.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Nobody asked the obvious - does class determine load-out question. I'll try and track down a dev.

Also stop saying GW2. It's MTG and LOL - they made a straight up comparison.
Understand that, but this isn't fucking EQ the MOBA and it isn't a card game. They're (supposedly) making an MMO. If you all trust these chimps to make the most intelligent AI ever implemented into a game - be my guest. I'd bet every dollar in my bank account that they won't, and can't. The bottom line is, with all of the other innovations they claim are possible (and if implemented correctly, they DO sound pretty great) - you can't fuck up the combat, and the basic way the game is played. GW2 wasn't the worst MMO released in the last few years, but I found it utterly terrible. Grouping, doing any sort of PVE with others etc was a nightmare.

They can have all of the great ideas in the world, but if grouping up to kill "Dragon XYZ" sucks - who cares?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
On the Trinity stuff:

I noticed in the following video the other day something that made me worry about this. Check out how the mob clearly has an ability that targets the warrior around 0:18, and then redirects its attention to the wizard. At 0:25 the warrior then leaps in front of the wizard to absorb the blows:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pM9a4Ul...%3DpM9a4Ul4KJo

I this what they mean when they say 'no taunts/agro'?

If so, it might not be too absurdly awful.

Caliane

"good" smart and hard AI is the holy grail.

Yeah, that shit isn't happening. Especially with destructible environments. That shit is nearly impossible when you don't have pathing issues, nevermind when you have anything goes world movement.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm very worried that "dynamic" will equate to multiple enemies constituting one boss becoming the norm. Instead of a single dragon or boss x 10 dungeons will have duos x4, trios x4, rathe council, and only the end guy is solo.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I also love the dramatic "gbcw" posts of "that's it... I'm out!!!". Out of what actually? You are going to never allow thoughts of this game that doesn't exist to enter your brain? If Drama Queen was a playable class, would that bring you back?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Understand that, but this isn't fucking EQ the MOBA and it isn't a card game. They're (supposedly) making an MMO. If you all trust these chimps to make the most intelligent AI ever implemented into a game - be my guest. I'd bet every dollar in my bank account that they won't, and can't. The bottom line is, with all of the other innovations they claim are possible (and if implemented correctly, they DO sound pretty great) - you can't fuck up the combat, and the basic way the game is played. GW2 wasn't the worst MMO released in the last few years, but I found it utterly terrible. Grouping, doing any sort of PVE with others etc was a nightmare.
Supposedly they didn't make the AI, StoryBricks did, no?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
im guessing:

september Landmark beta
december Landmark release
new years day EQN beta
april EQN release
Once Landmark releases, Smed has already stated there would be a 6 month period of building and contests. I would say we'll see the first phase sometime early next year or the top of the year but I really doubt we'll see a EQN release before Fall/Winter '14

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Supposedly they didn't make the AI, StoryBricks did, no?
Which is worse imo.

Like I said before, I am going with no way do they make the AI as smart as players(him using MTG or LoL) and this will just not work out, until proven otherwise.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger

They can have all of the great ideas in the world, but if grouping up to kill "Dragon XYZ" sucks - who cares?
Why do you need to trust them at all? It's a FTP game. Play it.. Or don't. It'll work or it won't.

We will find out in beta, whenever that is, a lot more.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I this what they mean when they say 'no taunts/agro'?

If so, it might not be too absurdly awful.
I sort of like the idea. Have telegraphs, but make them move if they're focused on a specific player. That allows the Tank character to get in the way and take the blow for their ally.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
im guessing:

september Landmark beta
december Landmark release
new years day EQN beta
april EQN release
Too soon. I'm thinking holiday season 2014 assuming they don't run into any problems. If you see a launch earlier then that you can pretty much count on the game being a unpolished turd. If SOE really wants to help lead the genre forward then they HAVE to put the time/work in. Shit that gets rushed out the door will fail every single time.