EQ Never

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What could possibly go wrong with an Iksar model.

rrr_img_39800.jpg

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
They can't look worse than the luclin and eq2 iksar atleast. Went from an athletic lizard race in classic to some kinda chunky crocodile in luclin.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So McPherson clarified the weapons skills in twitter. Flat 4 weapons skills per weapon per class (total 8 weapon skills per class), since 240 weapon skills seems like a lot, we have to assume some duplication of effort (e.g. Assassin and Rogue both get backstab WS for using a dagger). That suggests the only difference in weapons are weapon mechanics (procs and/or passive effects). Armor OTOH definitely does have different passive(?) abilities as discussed at the class panel. I don't really care one way or the other at this point - as I am quickly burning out on EQN hype - but I guess good to know the definitive answer.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So McPherson clarified the weapons skills in twitter. Flat 4 weapons skills per weapon per class (total 8 weapon skills per class), since 240 weapon skills seems like a lot, we have to assume some duplication of effort (e.g. Assassin and Rogue both get backstab WS for using a dagger). That suggests the only difference in weapons are weapon mechanics (procs and/or passive effects). Armor OTOH definitely does have different passive(?) abilities as discussed at the class panel. I don't really care one way or the other at this point - as I am quickly burning out on EQN hype - but I guess good to know the definitive answer.
Your math is a little wrong. There are 40 classes, not 30. So that would be 320 weapon skills.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They said it was going to be like LoL, so this doesn't really surprise me (I assume it doesn't surprise you either.) The big thing they are selling is how putting multiple variables together produces different outcomes, but they are still controlling the slots for the variables. So all "bruisers" are going to have "WhirlWind", like in D3, but the actual weapon type will act like slotting a rune in D3 would. So for a two hander, an Elven Pommel, with a Dwarven blade and Eurudite gems will give you a Whirl wind with +10% radius, -5% cost, and a small stamina leech (Or mana or whatever). While Vampric gems, a "demon" pommel and a fire elemental blade will give you a whirl wind that spawns little fire procs, and siphons health. But maybe "Hammer-Lords" will have two handed hammers, which can be augmented for stuns, earth based (Earthquake) damage, and utility--but it's still uses the base Whirl Wind move.

It's diablo's rune system, but done better, because it's built into the items themselves (Which, ironically, is how Diablo was intended but it was scrapped because it took too much development time.)

Long and short, it's going to be the class that determines the skills on the weapon, and the weapon will augment it. I wouldn't be surprised if you see this beyond weapon types--as said above, two handed hammer vs two handed sword, will both have bruiser abilities on a bruiser class, but the actual weapon will allow different mods. (Rather than totally different skills, instead one skill might be unique to hammer bruisers.)