EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
It absolutely does, followup during the week following any sort of proposal is critical.
And no one will remember they they didn't 'follow up' in one year from now. Hell, I don't think anyone will even remember one month from now, after Landmark is released.

I think the problem is that a lot of folks thought that SOE reveal was going to be the game in a late alpha stage. What we got is a tech demo from early alpha and a lot of unanswered questions, simply because development isn't as far along as we thought it was.
That's not their problem. They never gave any indication of that. People just let the imaginations run wild.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
That's not their problem. They never gave any indication of that. People just let the imaginations run wild.
Never implied that it was SOE's problem, but I'd say it is a problem they're going to have to deal with as long as people are talking shit about EQN while knowing very little about it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Nah it is their problem. Smed's tweet gave life to those imaginations. Sure he meant EQN/L but people didn't know that.

Anyway, they need to manage the damage and release more Combat info.

Butler & Co. fucked up by stating "Trinity is Dead" instead of "we are deemphasizing the need for a particular class to play a particular role (Warrior as only real raid-level tank, Cleric with cheal as necessary raid-level healer)."

Ukerric's analysis way, way back is going to hold up - you may not need Warrior/Cleric/Ranger/Enchanter. But you'll need a Bruiser/Healer+Support/DPS/CC for the hard stuff.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Never implied that it was SOE's problem, but I'd say it is a problem they're going to have to deal with as long as people are talking shit about EQN while knowing very little about it.
I know I sound like a broken record, but anyone bitching right now will do a 180 if word of mouth is that the game is good.

I do think (or maybe it's hope?) that they should release more info. But this is how it usually goes, they'll have some very structured marketing release schedule with some random dev tidbits through Twitter or whatever.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Here's what I think EQN will look like:

rrr_img_39827.jpg
Here's what EQN willactuallylook like:

(warning - some nws content)

rrr_img_39851.jpg

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I know I sound like a broken record, but anyone bitching right now will do a 180 if word of mouth is that the game is good.

I do think (or maybe it's hope?) that they should release more info. But this is how it usually goes, they'll have some very structured marketing schedule with some random dev tidbits through Twitter or whatever.
I'm with you buddy, but I do think there were screw-ups by SOE by Butler in the reveal and in the expectation management by Smed/Marketing.

It took until the EQN Q/A to get anything meaningful about Beta.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I think the reveal was handled somewhat poorly, they should have either pandered more to my EQ nostalgia or shown me more proof as to why they seem to be reinventing shit just to say they're reinventing it.

If their demo started out with the EQ theme that we all know and took place in areas that we're more familiar with, I might would have a picture as to what direction they're shooting for or at least be blinded by nostalgia to overlook somethings. If they didn't want to do that, then they could give me more explanations as to why they seem to be deviating from what I think a lot (some/just me) of us feel weren't bad things about the genre. I think they ended up (intentially or not) at a middle ground where I don't really know what the hell is going on.

In my mind there's a lot of things so far that make me say "Ehh..I could deal with that if." and I'm not seeing a whole lot, or at least what I want to see, on the "if" side.

Of course I could be brought right back into the fold with one or two clarifications and even into full blown fanboy with a few more.

Disclaimer: Slightly drunk guy who was roughly expecting EQ3.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm with you buddy, but I do think there were screw-ups by SOE by Butler in the reveal and in the expectation management by Smed/Marketing.

It took until the EQN Q/A to get anything meaningful about Beta.
I agree the reveal wasn't perfect. Hearing "We can't talk about that yet" or "Trust us it'll be good" for every other question isn't terribly inspiring.

Hype doesn't really mean much to me anymore though. It's just used by markets to sell us shitty games, the Age of Conans and Warhammer Onlines.

I'm looking forward to the game, and like what they've said so far - but until I play it, I'm still going to expect it to suck.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I think the reveal was handled somewhat poorly, they should have either pandered more to my EQ nostalgia or shown me more proof as to why they seem to be reinventing shit just to say they're reinventing it..
Look how apeshit people went over the EC tunnel in the blackbox video. So yeah. ;-)

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lol. How far we've fallen.
Hell, nowadays you often have to level up a bit to realize how bad it sucks. The first 10-20 levels of Conan were pretty awesome. I don't think I made it more than 5 levels after the starter area, though.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Hell, nowadays you often have to level up a bit to realize how bad it sucks. The first 10-20 levels of Conan were pretty awesome. I don't think I made it more than 5 levels after the starter area, though.
Advantage: EQN with flat levels. Tier 2b or Tier2c on should all be "similar" just harder mobs - unless there's a lot more raiding in EQN then they've stated. Tier 1 probably won't have the "real" combat AI.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Advantage: EQN with flat levels. Tier 2b or Tier2c on should all be "similar" just harder mobs - unless there's a lot more raiding in EQN then they've stated. Tier 1 probably won't have the "real" combat AI.
Yep. Not to mention there won't be a box cost. Even if EQN sucks, you'll probably atleast get $15 of entertainment just from exploring and getting your nostalgia boners from checking out places like EC Tunnel.

And yeah, I have a feeling the easiest mobs won't be that smart - especially since they'll be things like animals and Orc Pawns.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Does that mean I can tank it? Heh.
They commented all the time about how they can tune the AI up and down, so probably. That's the biggest issue with the reveal - that talked up the Combat AI a lot and didn't show one gameplay video with actual AI.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, no doubt T1 will be tutorial/intro type content, and T2 will start to push players into the deep end of the pool. I figure by the time folks reach T3 they'll have a good handle on what there is to do and see in the game. I am hoping character advancement isn't as rushed as it is in most modern MMOs. Getting to max level in a couple days of play is fucking lame.