EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
But at the end of the day (or month) Halas gets built. My only gripe is one cannot align with the opposition (For sake of argument, lets say the Gnolls of Blackburrow) and assist the Gnolls in the construction of Blackburrow while detering the Humans from building Halas, while they attempt to do the same to you, and whichever side "wins" a certain goal, wins for a period of time. Sorry Halas, try again in a few weeks, type of thing. Now, Halas will eventually be built, or Blackburrow would be reinforced should the Humans win the first round(s), but it would add some depth to dynamic content, and allow for greater inter-server competition apart from who can harvest wood the fastest to build walls in a overall linear event.
I can understand why big events, like Halas are inevitable. I just hope they also create smaller rallying calls that can go either way that also have a permanent affect on the world. Things like small outposts should be fought over (on both sides) and be permanent. Hell, they could even be fought over again down the line if some very specific objectives are met.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
But at the end of the day (or month) Halas gets built. My only gripe is one cannot align with the opposition (For sake of argument, lets say the Gnolls of Blackburrow) and assist the Gnolls in the construction of Blackburrow while detering the Humans from building Halas, while they attempt to do the same to you, and whichever side "wins" a certain goal, wins for a period of time. Sorry Halas, try again in a few weeks, type of thing.
This is true, your impact toward rallying call storylines will not ultimately stop the outcome. However you can still do this with the other dynamic events that are supposed to happen unscripted throughout the world if the AI works as advertised.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I can understand why big events, like Halas are inevitable.
There has to be a set level of development on all servers or SOE wouldn't be able to release expansions. It doesn't matter if the goblins have ransacked a_dusty_village_11 or not, but no Halas would cause problems if they decide to split human factions and make Barbarians a new playable race.

Trebla_sl

shitlord
But at the end of the day (or month) Halas gets built. My only gripe is one cannot align with the opposition (For sake of argument, lets say the Gnolls of Blackburrow) and assist the Gnolls in the construction of Blackburrow while detering the Humans from building Halas, while they attempt to do the same to you, and whichever side "wins" a certain goal, wins for a period of time. Sorry Halas, try again in a few weeks, type of thing. Now, Halas will eventually be built, or Blackburrow would be reinforced should the Humans win the first round(s), but it would add some depth to dynamic content, and allow for greater inter-server competition apart from who can harvest wood the fastest to build walls in a overall linear event.
I apologize if I missed this (it's a long thread), was it confirmed that Rallying Calls only have one final outcome? Does 'Halas gets built' have multiple possible outcomes on different servers? Even if the results are superficial (walls of stone vs wood; main gate north vs south)... it's just pre-defined outcomes don't sound like moving the genre forward any more than Rift World Events or the opening of AQ in WoW.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
Let's hear more MyEQ stories.
I was 14 and playing Multiplayer Battletech: Solaris pretty heavily on Gamestorm when a friend in my stable (guild) told us to take a look at the EQ website. This was a few months before launch in 99. I became enamored with the game. I visited the website incessantly (if anyone remembers, the website was laid out the way the first loading screen looks between server select and character select), When it finally came out, I bought it and came home to find that our household computer didn't have enough of a GPU to run it. I took the only $100 I had to EB Games and bought a Voodoo3. Got home, installed it, chose Cazic-Thule and became hooked for years.

My mother would later go on to say that allowing me to play that game was the worst decision she ever made and that it effectively ruined my life lol.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I apologize if I missed this (it's a long thread), was it confirmed that Rallying Calls only have one final outcome? Does 'Halas gets built' have multiple possible outcomes on different servers? Even if the results are superficial (walls of stone vs wood; main gate north vs south)... it's just pre-defined outcomes don't sound like moving the genre forward any more than Rift World Events of the opening of AQ in WoW.
Halas being built is the only outcome. But it can be achieved in different ways based on the dynamic AI (or so they said).

This is just their story-driven content. The real dynamic content will be in how mobs behave day to day, plus procedurally generated dungeons.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I apologize if I missed this (it's a long thread), was it confirmed that Rallying Calls only have one final outcome? Does 'Halas gets built' have multiple possible outcomes on different servers? Even if the results are superficial (walls of stone vs wood; main gate north vs south)... it's just pre-defined outcomes don't sound like moving the genre forward any more than Rift World Events of the opening of AQ in WoW.
When asked if someone could intervene with villainous intent during rally calls, the panel (Principally Dave Georgeson) recoiled in horror and stated "We didn't make a game with griefing in mind." (As if that would be griefing) but Terry Micheals did say that you could technically slow it down but chopping like every tree in the fucking world down but even then "there would be alternative methods of advancement" in the rally call.

Horseshit.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
When asked if someone could intervene with villainous intent during rally calls, the panel recoiled in horror and stated "We didn't make a game with griefing in mind." but did say that you could technically slow it down but chopping like every tree in the fucking world down but even then "there would be alternative methods of advancement" in the rally call.

Horseshit.
I wonder if they realize that they're ripping the immersiveness out of the event by saying there's absolutely no way to alter the end result? I'd rather they just not say anything at all, even if the result is predetermined.

Trebla_sl

shitlord
When asked if someone could intervene with villainous intent during rally calls, the panel (Principally Dave Georgeson) recoiled in horror and stated "We didn't make a game with griefing in mind." (As if that would be griefing) but Terry Micheals did say that you could technically slow it down but chopping like every tree in the fucking world down but even then "there would be alternative methods of advancement" in the rally call.

Horseshit.
Horseshit indeed... thanks for the clarification

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Its early, and there was a fairly vocal reaction regarding the ability to play as a villain so time will tell.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The only thing that really matters with EQN is whether StoryBricks is any good. If SB is great then this is EQN:

That is while you can not stop the founding of Halas you can change the world to the extent that it affects you, which is far, far more important.

If StoryBricks doesn't work then we get this:

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord

Horseshit.
Wait , so they are actually pre-determined outcomes with no chance of making they happen differently/not happen ?

What's the fucking point of them ?

And how in the holy hell is that "griefing" by simply deciding you rather have it be a different outcome ?

Dear god the "we can't upset Timmy" mentality has ruined everything.

I'd settle for this between the two Tad.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Rallying calls are basically DLCs. They release one major one every few months. For example the founding of Halas. Players take part in an extended public quest impacted by multiple success conditions (there are no failure conditions, only varying speeds of success) and at the end, the new content is 'created', 'forever changing the world'. Halas gets founded, Barbarian Race Released, Frost Shaman Class Released.

IMO anyway

tad10

Elisha Dushku
My mother would later go on to say that allowing me to play that game was the worst decision she ever made and that it effectively ruined my life lol.
That's a good MyEQ Story. +1

As for the rest of the whining about Halas - are you all for fucking real? You realize that every fucking server would never get any other city founded. Goons would just blow it all up.

The thing that matters is that you can make changes that permanently affect your character's realationship with the NPCs of the world (if SB isn't bullshit) so theoritically you can become best buds with the Gnoll King or wtf while helping to slow down the construction of Halas and that remains even though Halas gets built. So you get to have tea with him whenever you want and raid Halas with his minions (if SB isn't bullshit). If SB is BS then yes, it's no different then AQ.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wait , so they are actually pre-determined outcomes with no chance of making they happen differently/not happen ?

What's the fucking point of them ?
Because Rallying Calls are for players to be apart of large story-driven events. It's hard to have a consistent over-arching story across multiple expansions if every server has MAJOR differences.

I agree that makes them not nearly as cool as they were touting them to be, though.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Rallying calls are basically DLCs. They release one major one every few months. For example the founding of Halas. Players take part in an extended public quest impacted by multiple success conditions (there are no failure conditions, only varying speeds of success) and at the end, the new content is 'created', 'forever changing the world'. Halas gets founded, Barbarian Race Released, Frost Shaman Class Released.

IMO anyway
I guess to me it just would seem far more enjoyable if this had a chance of at least two different results. In that case , the Ogres/Goblins/X whatever side keeps this from happening and instead an "evil" city comes into play. Cascading effects from storybricks to mobs etc in the area and so on. With enough variances in these events , each servers could have a different landscape , you login to server Y and it's cheery on the east side and a cess pool on the west , on Z it's reversed , on A server it's a completely evil run will a small pocket of "goodness" holding on , and so on.

Just seems way , way more fun overall knowing things a major as this could have at least one other outcome.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I guess to me it just would seem far more enjoyable if this had a chance of at least two different results..
You say that now and then you wake up in 2016 and every new city on your server is an "evil" city or doesn't get founded and all the good races are stuck in Qeynos. Not as fun as you think.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Dahkoht I'll add it's not as if you can't create a plague of evil in the game. Again, if SB isn't complete BS, you will be able to help goblins, orcs, gnolls, kobolds and others in expanding their areas of influence in the game such that, if a server really wants it, there's a sea of orcs/goblins/kobolds between Qeynos and Halas and all the good and neutral guys and their villages are permanently dead/gone.

There may not be permadeath for players, but it seems likely there is permadeath for mobs in EQN.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
That's a good MyEQ Story. +1

As for the rest of the whining about Halas - are you all for fucking real?You realize that every fucking server would never get any other city founded. Goons would just blow it all up.

The thing that matters is that you can make changes that permanently affect your character's realationship with the NPCs of the world (if SB isn't bullshit) so theoritically you can become best buds with the Gnoll King or wtf while helping to slow down the construction of Halas and that remains even though Halas gets built. So you get to have tea with him whenever you want and raid Halas with his minions (if SB isn't bullshit). If SB is BS then yes, it's no different then AQ.
Agreed on that end. I have absolutely no doubt that if players were given the ability to ultimately decide the outcome, it would most likely always end in that type of result.

But I'd rather not know going in what the end result is going to be. Perhaps the lore dictates that Halas doesn't ever get founded? They have a lot of wiggle room here with the way they've set this up. Perhaps the RC to found Halas could ultimately end in a half-finished city overrun by Gnolls who use it as a staging outpost to launch attacks against Qeynos? I don't want to know I'm fighting to "stall" something from happening. That would be sorta boring for me.

Maybe I'm having visions of grandeur here though and that's not totally a feasible situation.