EQ Never

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Im assuming there are chains of Rallying Calls, each one leading a divergent path creating unique servers.

At least, that's what they seem to be promising.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
My post was pure speculation. I'm sure servers will develop differently in some regards, but my guess is that the major lore events will happen on all servers (but exactly when they happen depends on player actions). There are two things that support this. One is that they pretty much said that you can't permanently stop a rallying cry. The other is that it would be a nightmare for developers when every server eventually ended up with it's own lore.
It would only be a nightmare if they hadn't taken the possibility into account when designing the game. It would be a problem if you release content patches or expansions that involve a developer-driven storyline, but if the game is sandbox then content should be "bigger and more options," not "go here and do this then this in that order."

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
It would only be a nightmare if they hadn't taken the possibility into account when designing the game. It would be a problem if you release content patches or expansions that involve a developer-driven storyline, but if the game is sandbox then content should be "bigger and more options," not "go here and do this then this in that order."
Rallying Calls seems very much like a method to inject a developer-driven story into a sandbox game. What I'm getting at is that RCs might well be part of a more of less fixed timeline while the rest is sandboxy stuff that can develop differently on different servers.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where is that Storybricks write up on junkies?

Also.. We need Elidroth posting here if he plans on trying to make another EQ.. I wonder how hardcore they are thinking? Hopefully on the level of Original EQ...

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I accept that you cannot have every rallying call be dynamic, with them being used to introduce new content. Imagine some servers not opening the Dark Portal, lol no tbc for you. Halas is very likely such a content gateway so it makes for a bad example.

It would be nice if they could have a two versions of such non-negotiable RC planned, but I guess that's alot of effort for little reward from their point of view. If they with it a resounding success creates a thriving Halas, while a RC that limps to conclusion over 5 months would create a backwater dirthole Halas. Both could offer the same services and npcs so can be used for further storylines, but the feel is very different depending on server.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Could have been worse, it could have been Kelethin where we would be stuck taking fucking elevators.
Kelethin is the best city in the lore. It sucks that it doesn't exist in EQ Next because it probably would have looked amazing. Qeynos is the worst starting zone and I have no clue why they chose it as the center of civilization.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Kelethin is the best city in the lore. It sucks that it doesn't exist in EQ Next because it probably would have looked amazing. Qeynos is the worst starting zone and I have no clue why they chose it as the center of civilization.
The Bayle's are important men/womens in EQ lore. Also Sony EQ etc

They sort of have to start with Qeynos if we're starting in a timeframe before the other cities were built.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I don't see the RCs being "content" per se...

I imagine them being layers, chained together in a branches. A server can complete, lets say, the Halas RC chain over several months and in the doing so, enable the city + surrounding dungeons... but not much progress has been made to south where it would unlock Oggruk and its surrounding dungeons. Another server went south first and is doing the opposite. Another server is branching out in all areas equally, but is doing it really slowly. Now they could come back in a patch and add more layers to the ones already on.. but it would be unlockable to all people on all servers, just not availiable until they unlock it.

A problem would be a shitty server with stupid people... but even then it could be made to attract people if unlocked layers provide special items and unique rewards, people would start playing on the more primitive server to take advantage of these things.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
It sounded to me like Rally Calls would always have the same outcome, but might differ in how they got there between servers. So the AQ opening as an example one server might open it purely through slaughtering insects. Another server might do it purely through crafting and item donations to the NPCs. In both cases, AQ opens. Maybe not at the same time, but through different methods.

It sounded to me like Rally Calls would always have the same outcome, but might differ in how they got there between servers. So the AQ opening as an example one server might open it purely through slaughtering insects. Another server might do it purely through crafting and item donations to the NPCs. In both cases, AQ opens. Maybe not at the same time, but through different methods.
i get this, but the real fun & daily content will come I HOPE through slightly smaller dynamic events using the same functionality that RC's do, just allowing for non pre-determined results.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I was hoping large rallying calls such as the building of Halas would create slightly different end results depending on how certain phases were completed. Like instead of gathering wood for one phase to build a wall, adventurers just beat back gnoll attacks. This would result in a larger warrior/paladin/whatever melee class presence and guild masters, but if wood was collected it would result in more trade skill merchants and druid/rangers populating the city ultimately.

After rereading and watching more stuff it seems that large rallying calls are just going to be AQ gate gayness.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Where is that Storybricks write up on junkies?

Also.. We need Elidroth posting here if he plans on trying to make another EQ.. I wonder how hardcore they are thinking? Hopefully on the level of Original EQ...
Got a lot of people working with this. Me, Storybricks, and SoE all have a hand in this interview; Its not meet 1 person, get info, post. Takes a bit of time.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They sort of have to start with Qeynos if we're starting in a timeframe before the other cities were built.
we really arent in any time frame relating to the other games, EQN consists of entirely different lore that only uses the names of the franchise for nostalgia purposes. Which is fine, sorta (I dislike it but lore concerns are a clear minority). But it also means you cannot use the other timelines for reference. Kelethin may never be, or it may be full of dragon-elf hybrids sworn to Veeshan and the rally call is all about burning it down on our way to breaking the draconic siege on our allies in crushbone.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I don't see the RCs being "content" per se...

I imagine them being layers, chained together in a branches. A server can complete, lets say, the Halas RC chain over several months and in the doing so, enable the city + surrounding dungeons... but not much progress has been made to south where it would unlock Oggruk and its surrounding dungeons. Another server went south first and is doing the opposite. Another server is branching out in all areas equally, but is doing it really slowly. Now they could come back in a patch and add more layers to the ones already on.. but it would be unlockable to all people on all servers, just not availiable until they unlock it.

A problem would be a shitty server with stupid people... but even then it could be made to attract people if unlocked layers provide special items and unique rewards, people would start playing on the more primitive server to take advantage of these things.
That sounds cooler then the version I had in mind, where a rally call is similar to a content patch of WoW just more often (every other month or so) and that the content enters the world more organically (Halas isnt just there after the patch, but only once your server finally drives off the Ice dragon's final attempt to destroy the construction site after her minions failed to stop the building for 6 weeks).

I'm not familiar with Asherons Call, but GW2 is currently trying to give the impression of a living, changing world and totally botching it by relying on one gimmick after another. I hope rally calls in EQN will feel more natural then that.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Crushbone is going to be in this game, right? Are the Crushbone orcs at war with elves during this timeline? It would be awesome if you could join the orcs to help slaughter all the elven women and children.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Fay is overrun with dragons and dragon-kin, apparently. Someone tweeted Dave about that being lame and he said

"So take it back from them."