EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
AV pvp was trash.
What AV were you playing? Early AV, was one of the best parts of Vanilla WoW until every Timmy was 60 and they started nerfing it hard. Training what's his face from the graveyard into the alliance never got old.

Siliconemelons

I am glad the rerolled folks are catching on that I suck at grammer etc bla bla etc etc - I had so many grammer natzi gifs in my user comments at FoH it was great.

It used to be in my sig or forum title, something like I cant spell or whatnot.

rolx_sl

shitlord
What AV were you playing? Early AV, was one of the best parts of Vanilla WoW until every Timmy was 60 and they started nerfing it hard. Training what's his face from the graveyard into the alliance never got old.
true that. took mad cordination from everyone some people were ninja capping some people were playing D some were pushing shit was great. And you actually really wanted to win for the pts.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
This. Don't get me wrong I love EQ and I'm extremely excited about EQ:Next but if you think about it, the lore was nothing but generic. I'm starting to realize why many of us including myself are such huge fanboys, it was the only option for an MMO back in a time when having dsl meant you were a badass. Reading through this entire post and comparing it to current-gen MMO's has made me realize what a time-consuming and horrible experience EQ really was. I have great memories from the game but they are few and far between. I started reading this with the idea SOE is ruining a classic but they're really just making it a more enjoyable experience.
The new stuff they made up is generic too. Either generic or it is the TBC story of the alliance/horde returning to outland after years and finding remnants of their previous expeditions and tribes and what not and conquering outland/antonica/amaril step by step as the player level progresses (I mean the story. the story progresses). Outland even fucked up the burning legion background just like EQN rapes the EQ pantheon.

Sarcasm aside, what I dislike is the total disregard for their own franchise beyond re-using the names. It really feels like they made their lore with fake names and ignoring EQ at the time, then looked at what they have and gave it a coin flip between keeping the fake name or replacing it with one from old EQ lore. Take the trickster god. Why not call him bristlebane? Oh you want a female trickster god? Why not call her bristlebane? Same with the Elemental gods, Tad mentioned that. So Tunare isnt a god or isnt anything in this lore - guess what you can still call the landmass tunaria.

The thing is, these things are easily fixed at this point (I think they edited the Teir'dal short story to reference different deities). Above all else and especially with names. playing it closer to the old lore is easily possible and has *no* downside. Someone unfamiliar with EQ doesnt give a rat's ass about the name of the water god, to them it is what it is. So why would you agitate a portion of your existing playerbase that is a good source of PR, constant revenue in existing games and who will probably loyally follow you into the next game, for nothing? That's what I do not get with them.

This isnt touching guns and ninjas, that's another level. Ninja is just one take on assassin, it could work, although EQ didnt have a big asian-themed culture. The reference to Warhammer and ninjas being doable in western sci-fi is fitting. Guns though, I don't think that would be good. Its more difficult then ninjas without going too far. I feel both WoW and GW2 are too sci-fi / steampunk for the Everquest franchise and that's where they will end up, unless they go full derp and literally steal from LoL for the lore to have a class with mecha boxing gloves and other piltover tech crap. So on the topic of guns it's terrible or abominable, but its crap either way. As far as guns being required to field enough weapon variety, that's a flawed argument. How many gun types could they add without turning into a joke, maybe 2-4? You could just as well make 2-4 of the more exotic fantasy weapons instead and leave guns out. If guns account for 15+ of the different weapons, they can as well crossover this with Planetside 2 since it runs on the same engine. I would love me some voxel-terrain to blow up in PS2.

My expectations for the game they announced during the presentation and panels at SOE live are still high, what they described is a groundbreaking game that will shake the genre. But my expectations for the product they will actually deliver in 2 years have plummeted significantly, mostly because of the Q&A answers and the show and the PR info since then, mostly twitter and reddit. They sitting in front of excalibur in the stone and sawing at the hilt instead of pulling.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The thing is, these things are easily fixed at this point (I think they edited the Teir'dal short story to reference different deities). Above all else and especially with names. playing it closer to the old lore is easily possible and has *no* downside. Someone unfamiliar with EQ doesnt give a rat's ass about the name of the water god, to them it is what it is. So why would you agitate a portion of your existing playerbase that is a good source of PR, constant revenue in existing games and who will probably loyally follow you into the next game, for nothing? That's what I do not get with them.
Exactly. There's no need to invent new elemental gods, rename Bristlebane and etc. It's not like the Seraphs have to be just 9 gods, or wtf. It's like the Chewbacca defense, it just doesn't make sense and it's also a bit of a kick in the nuts to the RPers.

Siliconemelons

This isnt touching guns and ninjas, that's another level. Ninja is just one take on assassin, it could work, although EQ didnt have a big asian-themed culture.
Dark Elves are EQs "asian theme" at least they are in EQ2...and in orig EQ2 character models not the alternative ones.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just hope it's a well done DragonNest, it's not old school eq/wow style mmo, but plain and simple it was fun. It just wore off quickly and DragonNest wasn't THAT good and had terrible translation problems, but I did like the idea.

I'm all for this. Sick of grinding levels and shit. Something new is needed

belfast_sl

shitlord
Training people is fun. Pulling spectres to the docks on a PvE server was endless fun. Training =/= PvP. One-shotting people, or blowing someone up in WoW where your individual contribution didn't mean anything other than doing 1/3 of someone's life, and you could have been any of the other 39 players clicking one attack, is about as much fun as using the golden gun in GoldenEye; some people think that's fun, some don't.

And while they brought their own issues, its stuff like warriors killing everything not-paladin in 1-3 hits, or mages killing everything with cooldowns in 1 hit, led to a wave of ability/item/damage calculation nerfs, and the addition of resilience (and subtraction of character).

To each his own, I guess.

belfast_sl

shitlord
Oh, I only like PvP. When everyone stopped playing in the world and migrated to instanced PvP to get resilience and epic items, you could only circle the Burning Steppes so many times looking for people until they just aren't there.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Couldnt agree more with this article http://www.scree.org/evil_in_eqnext/ . Ralllying calls are not sandbox if they only go one direction.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
But, if you want to go in the opposite direction it's trolling! And we all know there won't be any trolls in EQN, because theyre ugly and people only want the pretty races.
Wrong, the majority of the players will not want to role play as themselves, ie hideous trolls.