EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
yeah, i understand that. i guess my point is these rallying cries seem to be tied to the storybricks aspect of the game, which seems to be the focal point of EQN. so instead of just creating a world and letting the players create the interaction within the world (and their own experiences), it's going to mainly be about these RC's which are going to drive what happens in the game and how players interact within the world. the difference may be subtle, but it's significant.
Wrong.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
5 cities collecting bear asses> 1 city collecting bear asses, I guess you're right.
I'm going to go back a few posts to what I said before, as I think it highlights the differences in thought here. You're looking at the numbers behind the world, whereas I'm looking at the level of immersion the world provides - the complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of how the game should be presented to the player and where dev time should be spent. I don't so much care that Neriak3 has bear ass quests like FP3, but I do care Neriak3 exists. Why? Because dark elves exist. Dark elves are mostly evil. Evil races hate good races. Humans are mostly a good race. That's the explanation. The fact there are multiple bear ass quests isn't what's important for the fact that Neriak3 should exist. More detail of why in the below post:

Lithose's point of abstractions is a little extreme, but at a very general, bird's-eye high level view, it's correct.

The whole history of human thought is basically a history of abstractions. Every day of our lives we create and use them. A statement like 'The general captured the enemy base.' is an abstraction because the general didn't actuallydoanything. Sure, he possibly planned and strategized, but none of the activity was done by him. The statement is an abstraction, and we give credit to this person for the accomplishment of 1000 or 10000 men because it helps us deal with and make sense of complexity.

The problem is here, in terms of fun or excitement, abstraction sucks. The further some medium or industry changes (not necessarily progress) you go, the higher and higher level go the abstractions. Take EverQuest and compared it to World of Warcraft in a slightly different way than we've done. Only at the very high level of EverQuest were you worried about being hyper efficient: a small variance in DPS or mitigation didn't matter. The reason for this though, is not only because we were naive, but it's because the game itself wasn't designed at this level of abstraction - it wasn't designed with Recount and cooldown juggling in mind. Its design hid all of this from the player because Brad and company were concerned with building a world for the player and keeping most of the mathematics hidden. It's more exciting to think of epic dragons and wondrous magic, not whether the dragon does 1k dps in phase 2.5 and whether you can keep your scorch rotation going.

Fast forward to World of Warcraft, and thedesign itselfis no longer about the world, the dragon, or the magic, but it's about the abstraction behind them, the numbers. It's designed for you to monitor cooldowns and maximize efficiency with addons. It's not about being a rogue, but being a rogue with the highest DPS gear and spec of the month.That'swhy World of Warcraft is not fun from a real, objective viewpoint: they've took mmo design even further and abstractified the world itself down to the numbers behind it. You don't necessarily need to even see the dragon in WoW anymore; all you really need is a Matlab front end.

That's the problem with abstractions and this genre from a psychological, almost scientific perspective. Abstractions aren't exciting. We need them for sure, but not in videogames.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't so much care that Neriak3 has bear ass quests like FP3, but I do care Neriak3 exists. Why? Because dark elves exist. Dark elves are mostly evil. Evil races hate good races. Humans are mostly a good race. That's the explanation. The fact there are multiple bear ass quests isn't what's important for the fact that Neriak3 should exist.
In the original EverQuest. This is EverQuest Next. I'm sorry you can't seem to accept that.

You have your own unwavering opinion on how it should be. It's not really 'less immersive' to have one starting city, with the lore as it stands.

Edit: And for the record, I agree that it removes some of the character of each particular race to have them at one starting city. I just don't think it makes it 'less immersive' from their lore perspective.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Lol..I think you might be the dumb one here.. He never said identical amount of content. You added that. He is just assuming more starting areas= more unique content so adding more content overall. Damn you're a bad troll.
Yeah, no, this is still stupid. What is stopping one large city from having the same (or more) content than half a dozen smaller cities put together?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, no, this is still stupid. What is stopping one large city from having the same (or more) content than half a dozen smaller cities put together?
Besides different themes? It's more about different/unique content to a region. I think that's the point he was trying to make.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
They said there would only be one starting city, not only one city... I'm sure there are population centres in Norrath. You might not be able to start in Kaladim and Rivervale, but I'm sure they exist, and thus, are content.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Completely off the wall question , and maybe answered somewhere in here, but have the mentioned anything about day/night cycle and dynamic weather ? After actually seeing the sun set and time change in FFXIV and the weather , it reminded me how much little things like that I enjoy.

I know the original EQ did , just with so many games going the lazy route , hoping their isn't some limitation to the engine where that won't be in.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There is a day/night cycle, it's one of the first things they showed at SOE live. Pretty sure there's weather too.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Completely off the wall question , and maybe answered somewhere in here, but have the mentioned anything about day/night cycle and dynamic weather ? After actually seeing the sun set and time change in FFXIV and the weather , it reminded me how much little things like that I enjoy.

I know the original EQ did , just with so many games going the lazy route , hoping their isn't some limitation to the engine where that won't be in.
There are full day and night cycles. Skip to 2:38 in video below.

I don't think they've really spoken about weather yet. From what I remember, it was a 'maybe'.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Night cycle is in. Dob't recall concrete info on seasons/weather.

Edit Teekey beat me to it.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Good deal , thanks for the info Q and video TK/Ag.

Silly wish I know, but sorta hoping they have actual weather "sytems" as in a storm could move across the continent from snow - rain - storms as it progresses and so on.

Also truly "changing" weather , as in not just the exact same rain period , but a true storm at times , maybe a drizzle at others , so on. That kind of stuff just adds to the game for me ( I know some rage and prefer to never have rain/snow/wind though ).

Dumar_sl

shitlord
They said there would only be one starting city, not only one city... I'm sure there are population centres in Norrath. You might not be able to start in Kaladim and Rivervale, but I'm sure they exist, and thus, are content.
The implications of only one starting city are pretty extreme: either they're too stupid to notice or don't care. One starting city means everyone does the same quests, will then have the same gear, and will then funnel to whatever lower-mid level content exists all together. It sounds to me like another theme park with window dressing.

If you spread people across the world in the beginning, give them options to level (ok, 'tier') their classes progressively in the general area, then bunch them together at the high end, you'll have a more exciting and immersive world from the first time a player logs in. EverQuest did exactly this, but gave you the option, however dangerous it was, to go elsewhere.

Note that WoW more closely resembled one starting in city in reality than multiple: while there were different starting cities, they were so easy to access that it may as well been 2, one for alliance and horde. It's not the amount of content that matters, but how that different content is designed in relation to each other. Qeynos to FP felt fucking epic. IronForge to Stormwind? Fucking joke.

What was done in EverQuest needs to be done here. And a lack of that, a lack of that flavor in the world, is a lack of content.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
lol everyone running up to Qeynos from the same shipwreck to save the same tutorial princess.

I liked UO's starting philosophy, "Ok fag, you chose a random city, heres some random shit that pertains to your skill choices, but not enough to do anything, have fun."

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Silly wish I know, but sorta hoping they have actual weather "sytems" as in a storm could move across the continent from snow - rain - storms as it progresses and so on.

Also truly "changing" weather , as in not just the exact same rain period , but a true storm at times , maybe a drizzle at others , so on. That kind of stuff just adds to the game for me ( I know some rage and prefer to never have rain/snow/wind though ).
Not silly at all. What would be even cooler is if NPC behavior changed depending on the weather as well, via StoryBricks. Although that might be being a little too hopeful.

The implications of only one starting city are pretty extreme: either they're too stupid to notice or don't care. One starting city means everyone does the same quests, will then have the same gear, and will then funnel to whatever lower-mid level content exists all together. It sounds to me like another theme park with window dressing.
I don't necessarily see how this is the case, with StoryBricks. If it works as advertised, there could potentially be a completely different starting experience for someone who even starts playing 2 weeks after you do. There's no quest hubs, so starting in the same city doesn't necessarily mean you'll do all the same quests. Quests are supposed to be found while out in the world adventuring, not going out into the worldbecauseyou were sent out on a quest.

We'll have to see if it really ends up like that, however. I don't think your fears are completely unfounded.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
If anyone played Siege Perilous or In Por Ylem knows how chaotic it was to get anything done from the beginning. Wanted to macro on a training dummy? Somone would stack some explosive potions on the ground at your feet and throw another one at the pile, causing a chain reaction that'd kill all macroers in the era, lots of shit like that. Epic newbie battles with shepard crooks and pitchforks over mining rights to an area. Tamers sending mixtures of deer and sheep at people, slowly gnawing them to death.

I think EQN can recreate that. I really hope SOE makes one hardcore ruleset server, a ruleset that included pvp, rather than multiple pvp servers. It would be glorious.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
If anyone played Siege Perilous or In Por Ylem knows how chaotic it was to get anything done from the beginning. Wanted to macro on a training dummy? Somone would stack some explosive potions on the ground at your feet and throw another one at the pile, causing a chain reaction that'd kill all macroers in the era, lots of shit like that. Epic newbie battles with shepard crooks and pitchforks over mining rights to an area. Tamers sending mixtures of deer and sheep at people, slowly gnawing them to death.

I think EQN can recreate that. I really hope SOE makes one hardcore ruleset server, a ruleset that included pvp, rather than multiple pvp servers. It would be glorious.
Oh I miss Siege Perilous.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Well, for the sake of accuracy, the lore they've releasedimpliesone starting city, but nothing's been confirmed on that front. And really, it only implies one starting city for the races of the Combine, and we don't know yet if all playable races are a part of that.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Because dark elves exist. Dark elves are mostly evil. Evil races hate good races. Humans are mostly a good race.
Is that the case with this game, this lore, this world? If race plays a significant role in the game you experience then I would agree multiple starting cities but if choice of race is more flavor than anything else what's the point. I understand that under normal circumstances Dark Elves are evil(ish) but in this universe does this apply?

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Really? I don't see anything but this kind of shit "Death should have meaning BUT..." "It should be hard BUT" "I want that old group feeling BUT..." "I want a hard game BUT..." Its the same tired ass bullshit we have all been reading on this board but with more 20 year old's who never played EQ1. There is nothing that Reddit will give us that we can't already get here as far as MMO stuff is concerned BUT except maybe more pandering by Devs using it as a mouth piece.