EQ Never

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Player created items? wtf?
Well, players aren't making stats, but yeah, right now Player Studio is used in other games for things like furniture and weapon graphics. EQN will be adding the ability to sell buildings and landscaping as well.

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
If EQN/L develops and matures as SoE is hoping, it could potentially be more massive than even EQN. If/once they add combat/mob placement/ai control it could become your own little MMO maker. From the interview it sounds like that is what they're hoping for and I really hope they are able to see this come true.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sauce?

Never read that.
My views are speculative but based on how PS2 has played out for them.

They entered the FPS market with PS2 they weren't looking to make a small niche game. They are now focused on launching PS2 on PS4 as there second chance to capture market they were after with PC launch. That market is millions of players in size if done right.

PS2 is the best FTP model SoE has given for any of its games from a players perspective. Odds of them not pushing for more money per player in EQN are very low. Had PS2 been a huge hit they still would have gone for more money per player but given lackluster results of PS2 they will definitely push for more money per players to generate more $ from EQN if it under performs like PS2.

SoE is hungry for a big hit.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My views are speculative but based on how PS2 has played out for them.

They entered the FPS market with PS2 they weren't looking to make a small niche game. They are now focused on launching PS2 on PS4 as there second chance to capture market they were after with PC launch. That market is millions of players in size if done right.

PS2 is the best FTP model SoE has given for any of its games from a players perspective. Odds of them not pushing for more money per player in EQN are very low. Had PS2 been a huge hit they still would have gone for more money per player but given lackluster results of PS2 they will definitely push for more money per players to generate more $ from EQN if it under performs like PS2.

SoE is hungry for a big hit.
Are you just assuming they didn't make a lot of money off PS2 or do you have data somewhere that backs it up?

I could be totally wrong but I was under the assumption that PS2 was doing pretty well as of late. Take it with a grain of salt though I have no first hand experiance just stuff I read around here.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Are you just assuming they didn't make a lot of money off PS2 or do you have data somewhere that backs it up?
PS2 is doing well. Someone posted a while back it has made more money in its first few months than EQ2 did in all of its existence. SOE recently was about to add station-cash purchasable consumables and dip their toe into P2W but pulled back due to the playerbase outrage.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Speculation, but has anyone thought short cuts might be something they are speaking very literally of? Port items you pay RL cash for as opposed buying classes.

Siddar

My assumption is they didn't make as much money as they had wanted to based on the size of games player base. That doesn't mean they didn't make money on PS2. It simply means the game did not produce the numbers they had hoped for.

SoE is chasing after a million player FTP game. That was the goal of PS2 and will also be the goal with EQN. Will they reach those numbers? Who knows PS2 on PS4 could well give them the desired numbers they were looking for from PC version of PS2. EQN may well capture both WoW and LOL populations and end up with tens of million of players. On other hand they may not and SoE needs to take that into consideration when setting prices.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My assumption is they didn't make as much money as they had wanted to based on the size of games player base. That doesn't mean they didn't make money on PS2. It simply means the game did not produce the numbers they had hoped for.

SoE is chasing after a million player FTP game. That was the goal of PS2 and will also be the goal with EQN. Will they reach those numbers? Who knows PS2 on PS4 could well give them the desired numbers they were looking for from PC version of PS2. EQN may well capture both WoW and LOL populations and end up with tens of million of players. On other hand they may not and SoE needs to take that into consideration when setting prices.
I don't think any company makes as much money as they wanted to but my question is how much did they make? We can't just assume they didn't make money.. For all we know they made more in their projected first year. Did they tweak the cash shop in some dramatic fashion to net them more money? Serious question.. I don't play the game but it's my understanding that it's done well and the cash shop is very reasonable. Their obvious goal is go after the most players but if PS2 flopped they may of reconsidered the FTP thing altogether which they have not. I'm betting the FTP is not going effect the core game in anyway.

Siddar

I could be totally wrong but I was under the assumption that PS2 was doing pretty well as of late. Take it with a grain of salt though I have no first hand experiance just stuff I read around here.
As a active PS2 player my take is they lost a lot of population in first few months. Then game stablizised and started grow in population again. Then they made allot of changes aimed at attracting new players based upon feedback of those that quit. That resulted in loss of players that hadn't quit causing games population to start dropping again. Now game seems to be entering a state of limbo as focus of game is now PS4 release.

I've heard they may have made allot of money off PS2 China release so US Euro PS2 populations may not even be that relevant in the bigger picture.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
According tothis website, Planetside has an average of 10-15,000 concurrent players, with peaks as high as 40,000-70,000~.

Smedley said Planetside 2 was pulling bigger numbers in China than US, as well.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
According tothis website, Planetside has an average of 10-15,000 concurrent players, with peaks as high as 40,000-70,000~.

That's way lower than I assumed. I might have to dig for some projections, I have to think SOE had way bigger plans for it.

Siddar

70k is to high for just US Euro population that would cap basically every server on every map. Otherwise the numbers seem about right. Each map has a 2000 player cap, three maps per server, eight total US Euro servers, That means game can hold peak of 48k players. There has not been a server Que in PS2 except for first week are so after game was released. A single map on server may generate a Que but there is alway room on the other two maps to place anyone logging in. You can also spot if all three populations are hitting there 666 player cap for a map because all the maps factions populations would be equal in %. My guess is current population peaks at around 20k mark during primetime.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
No idea how you get the impression SOE wanted PS2 to be some kind of million player wow killer caliber MMO or anything like that. The game launched with no tutorial, hardly any marketing and has had huge re-designs of core game mechanics and more to come, mostly at the behest of the players. It's always seemed to me to have been a test run for the new Forgelight engine, and a test run of how a AAA-developed MMOFPS with a F2P money shop would fare in todays market. Hint: It did pretty well.

Edit: Population wise, 70k gets hit when they have a bit content patch and tie it in with double-exp weekends. Otherwise it's usually around 15k-20k, and probably dipping due to August school starting, FFXIV, etc. I've been playing since May and am pretty much done with it waiting for FFXIV now, play it for 3 months, then hope EQNL beta gets put out around Christmas.

Siddar

No idea how you get the impression SOE wanted PS2 to be some kind of million player wow killer caliber MMO or anything like that. The game launched with no tutorial, hardly any marketing and has had huge re-designs of core game mechanics and more to come, mostly at the behest of the players. It's always seemed to me to have been a test run for the new Forgelight engine, and a test run of how a AAA-developed MMOFPS with a F2P money shop would fare in todays market. Hint: It did pretty well.

Edit: Population wise, 70k gets hit when they have a bit content patch and tie it in with double-exp weekends. Otherwise it's usually around 15k-20k, and probably dipping due to August school starting, FFXIV, etc. I've been playing since May and am pretty much done with it waiting for FFXIV now, play it for 3 months, then hope EQNL beta gets put out around Christmas.
Why would SoE make a game targeting the 10 million plus player base of FPS players but only intend to capture a few 100k players?

How does a game with a 48k max population cap hit 70k peak players?