EQ Never

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's my experience from EQ, yea. Outside of dungeons CR was easy and quick for every class i played more then a couple of levels, but they were all some kinda of caster or had FD/stealth. I noted that some had more trouble, warriors most of all. But thats up to a warrior player to comment on. Was your experience with outdoor CR different?

And I'm saying you cant compare dungeon CR because of instancing. EQ had instanced dungeons (even before WoW), they were about as easy to CR in (since those came late in my EQ time I only played through any in LDoN GoD, might be different from 2003 onwards). Old school EQ dungeon CR could be all kinds of nasty, especially in a PuG, but those times were over even before WoW beta. I prefer many of EQs features to WoW but all this waxing about risk of death just irks me because I very rarely felt it in EQ once I had some experience with the game mechanics.
Even outdoor CRs were a pain in the ass, if not for the difficulty then for the time. In WoW you always start as a ghost reasonably close to your corpse. In EQ if you were traveling through EK and you get killed by a HG or something then it could take forever to get back to your corpse if you can't get a port.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
In WoW dying was a feature, a "skill" that can be helpful.

For instance there's a quest which contains an item in a tower which you had to fight many monsters to get to. But instead you can just die below the tower then go back and take the stairs in ghost form and re-spawn near the quest item without the need of clearing the shit out.

That's why WoW didn't give you that thrill... death was very helpful in some cases, it is not something you'd try hard to avoid.
http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Tower_of_...xx_quest_chain

Fucking hated the last few steps of that, but everything leading down to the guys at the beginning of Ashenvale was easy XP at the time.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I didn't take advantage of that feature.
frown.png

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If you were worried about corpse runs you were prob bad tbh. I think the only dungeon that I even consider people should have been worried about was befallen.....
you obviously didn't play the game that long. plane of fear, plane of hate were absolute killers for CR's. as were kedge keep, the hole, velk's lair (before everyone and their grandmother was in there), chardok, howling stones, shroom area in seb, siren's grotto, and i'm sure there are at least a dozen more that i'm forgetting. bottom line is, CR was a bitch in EQ if you were doing a new area that wasn't overly camped. shit, one of the hardest CR's i ever had to do was at the brownie camp in lesser fay. accidentally walked into that camp with a few friends at level 16 i think. we had to plead with a level 40 bard to help us get our corpses back from the middle of that camp and i think he died 2 or 3 times helping us. hated those fucking brownies.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Even outdoor CRs were a pain in the ass, if not for the difficulty then for the time. In WoW you always start as a ghost reasonably close to your corpse. In EQ if you were traveling through EK and you get killed by a HG or something then it could take forever to get back to your corpse if you can't get a port.
I think comparing EQ CR to WoW is just ridiculous even in outdoors
smile.png

You're right, I think some people forgot that (at least for noobs) when you die in the middle of an outdoor zone like Faydark or the Karanas there's almost no way you can get your corpse back without knowing the exact /loc. How many times as a noob have I lost hope finding my corpse because that I had no clue where I died... :p

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
you obviously didn't play the game that long. plane of fear, plane of hate were absolute killers for CR's. as were kedge keep, the hole, velk's lair (before everyone and their grandmother was in there), chardok, howling stones, shroom area in seb, siren's grotto, and i'm sure there are at least a dozen more that i'm forgetting. bottom line is, CR was a bitch in EQ if you were doing a new area that wasn't overly camped. shit, one of the hardest CR's i ever had to do was at the brownie camp in lesser fay. accidentally walked into that camp with a few friends at level 16 i think. we had to plead with a level 40 bard to help us get our corpses back from the middle of that camp and i think he died 2 or 3 times helping us. hated those fucking brownies.
Also dying somewhere in Lava in SOLB was hilarious.

I also remember dying in Steamfont mountains in a cave after being "feared" by a necromancer NPC towards the INSIDE of the cave against my will!! and killed. Now, go look for a high level player to help you get your corpse. :p

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Also dying somewhere in Lava in SOLB was hilarious.

I also remember dying in Steamfont mountains in a cave after being "feared" by a necromancer NPC towards the INSIDE of the cave against my will!! and killed. Now, go look for a high level player to help you get your corpse. :p
i actually lost my character completely one time while playing drunk. was running around like an idiot on the boat to freeport and fell off of it just before the zone line! i swam around until i saw a small island and decided to swim up and investigate. well, a few hits from a sea goblin, and i was dead, in the middle of nowhere with zero chance of ever retrieving that corpse. luckily, i was still a low level and there wasn't much on me that couldn't be easily replaced. but yeah, no graveyard to summon my corpse to. no chance anyone was going to come help me retrieve it. had to eat that one.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This makes sense but I never really understood it back then. Always just assumed I had aggro even from 5 miles away outdoors until I zoned since I would still randomly get attacked by the mobs (Guess I got too close to them).
What's more is that the primary aggroed mob (i.e. the one you hit or got too close to) would keep on propagating its aggro to any social mob he got close to.

Fortunately, mobs that got aggro from another mob and were not hit by you would not propagate it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I also remember dying in Steamfont mountains in a cave after being "feared" by a necromancer NPC towards the INSIDE of the cave against my will!! and killed.
Ahhh, Steamfont with its Minotaur Hero and Meldrath...

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ahhh, Steamfont with its Minotaur Hero and Meldrath...
Indeed
redface.png

That's the beauty of EverQuest is the potential to explore and find nameds/lore all over the place without this hand-holding and "questing" that spoon-feed you everything.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe not in dungeons but definitely in big outdoor zones and when the distance between you both are huge. However, if you get back to them they will chase you again (which means they do quit chasing you because of distance but will never forget you until you zone or die).
This was implemented later and was not originally in EQ; even outdoors.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hurrah, only seven more months of nostalgic morons before they can start frothing at the mouth and ranting about how SOE 'betrayed' them for making EQN actually playable by non-autists.
*giggles*

They can say something similar towards your comments too! I'm just grateful I find both amusing.
tongue.png

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
This was implemented later and was not originally in EQ; even outdoors.
Are you sure?

I'm sure it was there before SoL (quad kiting tigers in Velious continent I remember this has happened to me).

Keep in mind you don't "lose aggro" it just the monsters stop chasing you due to distance.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, it might have gone in during Velious or Luclin(I'm not sure when the change went int), but they would chase your ass to zone in the very early days, regardless of distance.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hurrah, only seven more months of nostalgic morons before they can start frothing at the mouth and ranting about how SOE 'betrayed' them for making EQN actually playable by non-autists.
Lol you're serious right? You do realize that today's mmos can be played by a 5 year old right?

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
So, you're looking forward to EQN being another dumbed-down ADHD MMO?