EQ Never

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
You're not going to get 50k simultaneous users online unless the world is big everyone is spread out
Yes. And that's why I was saying that it is impossible to have the 10-bear-ass-oh-and-go-there-next experience in such a world. It can't work in a really large world because your designers can't write and place all those quests.
EVE can do it because everything is sharded and it's essentially a spreadsheet with almost no assets to render.
Zoned, not sharded (/nitpick).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Yes. And that's why I was saying that it is impossible to have the 10-bear-ass-oh-and-go-there-next experience in such a world. It can't work in a really large world because your designers can't write and place all those quests.
It doesn't matter if you have no quests because people will always congregate together around something. You have to design ways to keep people spread out and that's typically almost impossible. It'll depend on what kind of game they are making. If it has PVP, people will come together. If it has mass PVE people will come together. If it's loot centric then people will congregate around the popular dungeons where other people are.

To spread people out you have to make a more solo centric game not based on specific mob/dungeon locations. That's not what people want.

That's why you have to shard/phase areas if you are going to do a mega server.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It doesn't matter if you have no quests because people will always congregate together around something. You have to design ways to keep people spread out and that's typically almost impossible. It'll depend on what kind of game they are making. If it has PVP, people will come together. If it has mass PVE people will come together. If it's loot centric then people will congregate around the popular dungeons where other people are.

To spread people out you have to make a more solo centric game not based on specific mob/dungeon locations. That's not what people want.

Spreading people out is important in the early game when the initial rush of players overloads the servers. But after the game has aged and the population has stableized, then the problem becomes players being too spread out with nobody to play with.

You can't fix both issues with the current server based model. The easiest solution is always going to be mega server technology with multiple shards (overflow) for every zone that has passed it's player limit.

One mega server solves tons of issues that every server based mmo runs up against. It is the inevitable future of all mmos.

Vonador_sl

shitlord
I have not read the entire thread, but does anyone here really think that Smedley / SOE will actually deliver something different rather than the typical garbage we have seen for the last several years?

I don't know, I can not see how EQ Next will be anything different than what we have already. The history for corporations in the MMO space (and their departure from being MMORPG) and add to that SOE's behaviour in the past, I just can not see this game being anything different. I see EQ Next currently in the early stages of a hype machine, like so many other games we have seen before.

Am I jaded? Sadly, yes.
It'll be different - I think it'll be good too, but that's because I have a hard time imagining SOE botching this release. Too much is on the line for them to fuck it up mightily.

Of course, some information giving us actual REASONS for why we should believe in the way they're approaching EQN would be FUCKING FANTASTIC*.

*for some reason, I have this feeling that a big part of why so little has been released about EQN so late into the development curve is because SOE doesn't want to give Blizzard and Titan time to respond (read: 'change'; 'adapt'; copy) if SOE's concepts and ideas are well-received. I don't know, I'm probably crazy. The lack of hype and general knowledge surrounding EQNisa shade unnerving, though.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One mega server solves tons of issues that every server based mmo runs up against. It is the inevitable future of all mmos.
I would say it's the inevitable future of all theme-park MMOs. Not for all MMOs in general.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider

That's why starting areas based on races is important.
Heck make every race has a few options to start in.

Also, make content for all kind of players. The soloers, the Duo, The Group. Indoor and Outdoor. Easy and Hard. Don't forget other dimensions of game play which everyone actually neglect. Crafting, Farming, Harvesting, Hunting, Stealing from a City, Guarding a City, Job Career in a City... Vanguard tried the diplomacy thing but let's face it, it's just a Mini Card Game. Let's expand beyond the "combat" game and you'll get a player base that have different preferences spread out all over the map.

You see a dungeon being overrun?
Easy solution, improve the other deserted dungeons of equal level/difficulty or create new equally good ones. How hard it is to create a new dungeon with all its lore and NPCs? seriously? I would do this for free for any developer if they provided manageable tools :p

For once consider balance as an overall world thing and not only for class-to-class power struggle.

It'll be different - I think it'll be good too, but that's because I have a hard time imagining SOE botching this release. Too much is on the line for them to fuck it up mightily.

Of course, some information giving us actual REASONS for why we should believe in the way they're approaching EQN would be FUCKING FANTASTIC*.

*for some reason, I have this feeling that a big part of why so little has been released about EQN so late into the development curve is because SOE doesn't want to give Blizzard and Titan time to respond (read: 'change'; 'adapt'; copy) if SOE's concepts and ideas are well-received. I don't know, I'm probably crazy. The lack of hype and general knowledge surrounding EQNisa shade unnerving, though.
I kinda hope they are just going old school and making the game they want to make and not giving the forum vocal minorities to much time to piss and moan with calls of changing this and that. Other games have done that and well we can see how many awesome MMO's have come out since WoW. Gamers think they know what they want until they get it and then decide they do not want it. I used to bad mouth SOE like many others but when you sit back and look they are really no more worse or better than every other company to come out with a game in the last 10 years.

Games these days get panned before they are out of the gate in beta sometimes so I do not really blame them frankly.

Death Tax_sl

shitlord
As far as loot goes for EQN. I'd like to see a mix of old school custom loot but also items with random stats like diablo. Makes gearing up more fun and not just farming one item that is best in slot.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would say it's the inevitable future of all theme-park MMOs. Not for all MMOs in general.
Theme park has nothing to do with it. It works in every situation and can improve all mmos of every type. Even EvE could make use of the possibilites without diluting their core sandbox philosophy or their gameplay. Thinking a mega-server only works for theme park mmos just shows a serious lack of imagination, nothing more.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That's why starting areas based on races is important.
Heck make every race has a few options to start in.

Also, make content for all kind of players. The soloers, the Duo, The Group. Indoor and Outdoor. Easy and Hard. Don't forget other dimensions of game play which everyone actually neglect. Crafting, Farming, Harvesting, Hunting, Stealing from a City, Guarding a City, Job Career in a City... Vanguard tried the diplomacy thing but let's face it, it's just a Mini Card Game. Let's expand beyond the "combat" game and you'll get a player base that have different preferences spread out all over the map.

You see a dungeon being overrun?
Easy solution, improve the other deserted dungeons of equal level/difficulty or create new equally good ones. How hard it is to create a new dungeon with all its lore and NPCs? seriously? I would do this for free for any developer if they provided manageable tools :p

For once consider balance as an overall world thing and not only for class-to-class power struggle.
That's easy to say, but most studios are extremely limited with their resources and most of the time don't have the hours or man power to concentrate on that much content at any given time.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If this has a Diablo style loot system.... or if items are colored green/blue/purple based on quality... I might just fuckin' end'er, buds.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You know, all those 10 bear ass collect "quests" and similar nonsense could just be looped into achievements similar to console games. You've killed 10 bears! 10xp and 1 silver. You've killed 200 bears! 50x and 5 silver. You've killed 10000 bears and PETA wants to rape your dead corpse for eternity! 100xp and 1 gold. No question marks, no logs of nonsense involving half assed reasons why bear asses need collecting at this hub vs. the last one. Tie it directly into cheevos and ignore it. Like grinding Frogloks? You can unlock titles/whatever from playing Hitler vs. the Frogjews. A single line in an achievement file (and I would be -really- surprised if there wasn't an achievement menu of some sort in EQ:N) about bears killed and you eliminate all quests that have kill x number of this.

Tracking codes like that -should- be easy to load up. And don't make it retroactive if it gets added, people don't need to get credit for shit they've already done if the world just starts tracking it. If anything, since they've already done it, they can just tally it up faster if that is their desire due to familiarity.

Putting all the "kill X of Y" quests as simple lines in an achievement window would still maintain something resembling a goal for those that need them, and reduces the amount of "quests" in the game.

I'm pretty sure nobody likes the stupid hub nonsense, but it is currently the best way for developers to have incredibly different biomes and to lead players through them without making it look like the pastiche it is. I would personally be fine with them taking the Skyrim approach of "You see that mountain over there? You can climb that." instead of breadcrumbing all over. EQ had zones, WoW didn't. It takes a different style of design to approach each type of content delivery, and hubs happened to effectively be Zone Lines but with more purpose/story to them. Again, not defending hub-based gameplay, but really we did that shit automatically in EQ, the developers just didn't have lines to work with. The quests are a different story and unless they tell a real narrative, they need to go.

Train to Dreadlands, anyone?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
A lot of games have done that. First time I remember seeing that is WAR and I know TOR did something similar. LOTRO did it too kind of.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah but they still had the quests themselves. I'm saying remove all "quests" that involve killing x of y that aren't epic in nature and instead just regulating that to the achievement pane. Lotro/TOR/WAR all definitely had quests for killing 10 of x or collecting 10 of y. I think the achievement deal in place of, not in addition to, those type of quests would pacify a lot of the hate towards questing in general in games.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think some game just did that though. Was it TSW or something? It was recent but I can't remember.

Edit: Oh it was the Rift expansion, but they were still there as quests though, just you got them once you killed the first one. Semantics. Nevermind.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
You're right about the "design document" even the ratio of how many hits a level 1 player can kill a level 1 NPC is almost copied exactly. It's like it became a sacred tabled from heaven that you dare not to change!

I think simplified quests are "alright" (EQ had them, collect CB belts for Kaladim or these Bat Wings which gives you faction + some coin). What is not acceptable is quests being defined so rigidly that you cannot progress without them (campaign to follow which is important for your class branches eventually for instance). Quests shouldn't give you XP rewards (maybe very few for very little XP) and quests DEFINITELY shouldn't have this "Switch On, collect, then back to vending machine" mechanic.

Quests should be there and require no activation. You kill a boss, loot his head. You know it's for a quest, you save the head. One day you'll figure out who wants his head and turn in for a reward.

The world definitely needs to have things you can do in an hour that feels you've accomplished something (farming, crafting, harvesting, doing minimal tasks for faction or money, job/career in a city, ...etc) but it shouldn't be the very foundation of the game.

Freedom and more Options is what we need I guess.
Save the time/money it takes to create cut-scenes and quests and instead make more dungeons with their own lore for us to explore. Tiny ones (which can be finished in an hour), Medium ones, Large and Huge.
You can have quests you need to pick up first exist alongside objectives/tasks/quests that are always present. Whatever objective the designers put in just has to make sense. I'm not gonna scalp every orc without reason on the odd chance some dorf three zones over might want to make a new rug, but I might keep the shattered crown of the giant king just in case someone pays well for it. Under that reason 99% of quests in WoW arent quests, yea. Talk about an overused term when even various sci-fi games use it (I think it was TOR actually, but EVE's use of dungeon is equally annoying).

It's not about how the quest system works, it's about what gets to be a quest. Kill 10 wolves should not be a quest. Quests should have multiple steps that require effort to complete and have actual rewards. Yet another pair of green boots is not a reward.
Exactly. If they add quests, legendary items, epic weapons etc those names need to mean something, and not be the same as the various kill bounties for wildlife.

You're not going to get 50k simultaneous users online unless the world is big everyone is spread out where you can guarantee that no more than 300 or so users won't be in the same play at the same time.

EVE can do it because everything is sharded and it's essentially a spreadsheet with almost no assets to render.
I obviously have no clue but with everything EVE is calculating not only per ship but per weapon, trajectory, transversal velocity missile speed, explosion radii etc it ends up being more load on the server then your typical theme park. CCP is bought servers that cost more then total GDP of some countries. Of course it is easier to buy run-of-the-mill servers fit for 5000 connections and just buy more, put them all online and merge them when they are deserted three months later. Its the McDonalds way of server management. I hope with the stated goal of SOE that from PS2 on they design games for a successful decade or more and not for a year, they realize all the trouble the old server structure brings and try something new. I'd settle for like a 2 servers per continent/language solution, as long as they dont just switch on dozens of them each day of the launch week like the last few releases.

I have not read the entire thread, but does anyone here really think that Smedley / SOE will actually deliver something different rather than the typical garbage we have seen for the last several years?

I don't know, I can not see how EQ Next will be anything different than what we have already. The history for corporations in the MMO space (and their departure from being MMORPG) and add to that SOE's behaviour in the past, I just can not see this game being anything different. I see EQ Next currently in the early stages of a hype machine, like so many other games we have seen before.

Am I jaded? Sadly, yes.
I'll probably regret it but yea I put some faith into SOE. Its like Microsoft was the ultimate devil a dozen years ago and suddenly you look around and they're the good guys. Joke aside the reason I dare to hope for a new and different project with EQN is that they didnt screw up PS2, and quarter after launch still seem pretty commited to improving it further. they took their 10 year old PS1, left out their grave mistakes (mechas) and updated it for 2012 standards, without going for the FPS standard of 30-60 players maps (instances) that every other game in the last decade used. If they do the same with EQ1 I'll be happy.

"Largest Sandbox ever designed" = Everquest fantasy themes + Minecraft + Eve

"We didn't want more 'kill 10 rats' quests" = objectives-based game where players do almost everything from having to create basic services (ex: binding stones) to entire cities except for a few pre-built cities and dungeons. Similar to eve again. Have to fight monsters to get to the good stuff. World placement mostly/all procedural using rules (ex: rare resources are guarded by BMF monsters, necessitating "raids"). One big server, just generate additional land if it's overloaded.

"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," = release early, release often. They'll have the basic functionality working (enough classes, enough stuff to build, mine, etc) and then just release to test reactions and get feedback instead of working for a decade and spending 200M on a design that people could end up rejecting.

All of it free2pay your way.

That or they said fuck it and are reskinning PS2 into a medieval FPS
wink.png