EQ Never

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Where are people getting Minecraft from?
I guess its from a November article paraphrasing Smedley's SOE Live 2012 presentation:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/1...-of-mmo-games/
John Smedley says that Sony's upcoming MMO Everquest Next will be more Minecraft than Warcraft.

It is "emergent gameplay" - allowing players true freedom and encouraging them to build their own experiences - that will define the next generation of successful MMO games, he said.
"We need to add emergent gameplay to our games if they're going to last," he told the company's biggest fans at the October festival. "So we are. SOE has committed itself to a focus on emergent and sandbox-style play."
starts at 42:46 where he starts about EQN:
http://www.twitch.tv/soe/b/336061666

Edit: Oh and this older October quote where he basically lists it as an example of 'emergent' gameplay:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...p#.UQiHM780V8E
Smedley offered three examples of emergent gameplay: SOE's own FreeRealms and EverQuest II, as well as Mojang's Minecraft. "I don't know about you guys, but I sure as heck didn't see Minecraft coming. It hit like a bolt of lightning. It showed how hungry people are for sandboxes -- for building stuff. In FreeRealms, we offered the ability to make their own houses, and we've done the same thing in EverQuest II that lets users rate each others' houses. The rating stuff aspect can be just as much of the emergent gameplay as the building -- think about rating things on Amazon.com."

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
He's using Minecraft as an example of a sandbox style game. That doesn't mean the game is going to be minecraft where you build shit all over the place. It might mean destructive environments. I mean he was also going on about how rating shit is amazing. I mean if you're gonna go crazy and say EQN = Minecraft + Eve, which seems retarded to me, then you might as well go full retard and say

EQN = Minecraft + Amazon.com + EVE

Maybe you can play on your kindle. Even EVE you're getting crazy. I think you think Smedley turned genius and they're making something special here. I think you're gonna get a game that is hamfisted with designs from all over the place, unless you truly believe him when he said he scrapped everything twice over the last 4-5 years and it's being released to the public this year.

I think people are getting carried away and reading too much into minutiae. I hope half of you are right, but I'm not getting my hopes up for some Jesus game until I see something.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Well, he did pretty much say destructible environments are in the game; if that's the case, it's not a huge leap to think that construction is also in the game. It might be a stretch to think it's on the same level as minecraft, but I'm willing to bet there will be some brand of building in the open-world.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I said EQ-eve-minecraft hybrid. Not sure how that's retarded but ok...if anything it's pretty logical to take those games and build a new one using some of its features. In a sandbox of course. Nobody is saying you will be able to build shit all over the place. Just some concepts from minecraft will prob inspire the design. Same with eve..

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Wonder if this is an EQN leak?

Nope... it's actually Minecraft. Thought it was EQN for a second....

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
If this has a Diablo style loot system.... or if items are colored green/blue/purple based on quality... I might just fuckin' end'er, buds.
Yeah, if I see the Diablo-Style itemization in an MMORPG again I'm quitting. BIG turn off.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Minecraft + EQ... I can tunnel my way to this asshole?!?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhCB1O6d4d9DW9xvbukxaXIjwqmra6n2Ol4v_jDWLMTmVmc0bmMg.jpg

Cigano_sl

shitlord
That Freeport construction on Minecraft is legit. I for one would love to have an everquest1 experience however we all know that is impossible. But would i would really love to see in the game is risk versus reward. No maps to stare at to immerse yourself. Also love the idea i have read about leashing, that would be a huge plus. I agree with most people here aswell the mindless questing to level up is insane and unbelievable that it still makes its way into every damn mmorpg. Big thing for me to is the races being unique. Everquest1 you had every race look different in the same set of armor, EQ2 ruined that among many other things. Smed, don't let us down. Sounds like Chael Sonnen don't let me down in beating Jon Jones=( Atleast i can dream

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I heard it has something to do with tying environment modification in with pve encounters. Like rather than have static raid mob spawn spots, you can 'design' your own dragon's lair by modifying a preexisting terrain to lure a dragon into nesting there, quality of design = quality of dragon = quality of loots

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
Smed may as well go the whole hog and release a set of development tools ala Skyrim as well.

I mean, who wouldn't want this to be part of their EQnext experience?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Even EvE could make use of the possibilites without diluting their core sandbox philosophy or their gameplay.
Well, no. It IS completely against the core gameplay of EVE.

Creating copies of the same zone has one primary goal: reducing the contention between players for resources (whether those resources are mobs, nodes, whatever). When the core of your game IS competition for exclusive access to resources, creating endless duplicate of those resources destroys your gameplay, pure and simple.

Thinking a mega-server only works for theme park mmos just shows a serious lack of imagination, nothing more.
No. You simply can't take an arbitrary MMO design, and decide to drop automatic instancing in it. There are designs in which this will not matter at all (theme parks), and designs in which this is impossible (EVE).

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Where are people getting Minecraft from?
Whenever people say "sandbox" these days, they think Minecraft.

I sincerely doubt you're going to end up with a minecraft-like game in which you can arbitrarily alter every piece of the game world. With 1 million players on the same servers, you'll end with every form of penis-shaped construction imaginable, and presumably several that cannot be imagined yet. And that's before people start copying wholesale copyrighted content.

Presumably, the sandboxy thing means the ability to place and populate areas with pre-designed elements, either voluntarily, or thru various game dynamics (see my post a week or two ago on how population can affect the look, size, and all kind of stuff for an outpost. A simple inn if no one's around, up to a full fledged city, simply because a thousand players have set their bind location there).

That, or they're trying to copy Neverwinter on Norrath, in which case all bets are off.

Good or bad, we should be prepared for a hell of a ride. Player Studio can only be step 1.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...p#.UQkkAb_aLmc

"I think it's going to be an entirely new business model for us. Steam showed us the way. [Valve] made a really brilliant move with Steam Workshop," says Smedley."

"What we're really doing is saying, 'This is how to make stuff. Go to town,'" Smedley tells Gamasutra. "And people are submitting things that look like quality content made by professional video game developers. There's a lot of stuff that isn't usable too, but it's going very well."

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

I sincerely doubt you're going to end up with a minecraft-like game in which you can arbitrarily alter every piece of the game world. With 1 million players on the same servers, you'll end with every form of penis-shaped construction imaginable, and presumably several that cannot be imagined yet. And that's before people start copying wholesale copyrighted content.

Presumably, the sandboxy thing means the ability to place and populate areas with pre-designed elements, either voluntarily, or thru various game dynamics (see my post a week or two ago on how population can affect the look, size, and all kind of stuff for an outpost. A simple inn if no one's around, up to a full fledged city, simply because a thousand players have set their bind location there).

That, or they're trying to copy Neverwinter on Norrath, in which case all bets are off.
Pretty much this.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I don't think anyone is saying it will be just like minecraft.. I think people assume it will have some of it's elements. Me being one of them. But to say Sandbox=minecraft is silly and I don't get the vibe anyone is actually thinking that will be what EQN is entirely based on. Saying it will be an EQ-minecraft-EvE hybrid makes it just that. A hybrid. a game that uses concepts from those games and builds on them to make them their own. EQN will have inspirations from all sorts of games those just probably being more dominant. I am willing to bet when the design discussions take place that Minecraft and Eve were certainly talked about.. A long with EQ1, EQ2, VG, PS2 etc.. what worked, what didn't etc..