EQ Never

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No I'm saying your theory of instancing is very similar to Star Citizen.
Not in the way I applied it to EvE. In other games sure, there can be similarities but that depends on the devs involved. As I said in another post, mega-server is not a one size fits all solution. Star Citizen is just one way to implement it but not the only way.

But if you are stuck inside the box, looking outside is hard. Much like your inability to see what Convo is talking about in regards to world building, Minecraft and EQN.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If I had to guess.. player made housing/cities/landmarks. Using a style similar to minecraft. So when it comes to construction/trade skills/resource harvesting I imagine it will be more in tune with minecraft also. At least the inspiration would probably come from that game. I guess we will find out..

Smed also said destructible environment which could point at a game like minecraft.. You lack imagination at times dude.. I'm not sitting here and saying EQN will be minecraft.. I'm saying they looked at that game and said how can we take parts of it and make it a part of EQN..
I'm not lacking imagination, I'm trying to actually make you write down instead of saying "derp Minecraft + EVE". When I actually ask you or challenge you on an idea it's not because I can not fathom how or why something might exist or be made; I'm asking you so you can tell me how you think it's going to work in detail. THen we can move the conversation further. You just did so now we can move on. This is the internet, I'm not going to assume that when you say "Minecraft + EVE" just means you think you're going to be allowed to build houses in the open world like UO.

Now the Minecraft thing is tough. Do you give players blocks to build things, or plans to build a certain type of house? Like you get Small House and you try to find a 5x5 plotted area to put it in, or do you get even more detailed than that? Or do you get further and build wall sizes and make a building like that? Is it like VG or making cities in Darkfall?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now the Minecraft thing is tough. Do you give players blocks to build things, or plans to build a certain type of house? Like you get Small House and you try to find a 5x5 plotted area to put it in, or do you get even more detailed than that? Or do you get further and build wall sizes and make a building like that? Is it like VG or making cities in Darkfall?
Well that's the point isn't it? The options EQN has in providing world building tools are endless and not restricted to Minecraft's.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not lacking imagination, I'm trying to actually make you write down instead of saying "derp Minecraft + EVE". When I actually ask you or challenge you on an idea it's not because I can not fathom how or why something might exist or be made; I'm asking you so you can tell me how you think it's going to work in detail. THen we can move the conversation further. You just did so now we can move on. This is the internet, I'm not going to assume that when you say "Minecraft + EVE" just means you think you're going to be allowed to build houses in the open world like UO.

I guess for me the idea was an obvious one. I get what you're saying.

I think this is a tough one in regards to land... I'm thinking they would consider land deeds similar to Darkfall? With a limited amount. Obtainable IN game drops/cash shop purchase. You can build whatever on that piece of land as long as you have the proper resources. I would imagine a block like pattern being needed? Maybe a pre construction window.. A mini game of sorts with it's own UI/tools.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Not in the way I applied it to EvE. In other games sure, there can be similarities but that depends on the devs involved. As I said in another post, mega-server is not a one size fits all solution. Star Citizen is just one way to implement it but not the only way.

But if you are stuck inside the box, looking outside is hard. Much like your inability to see what Convo is talking about in regards to world building, Minecraft and EQN.
I was just remarking that what you described was also similar to how Star Citizen is solving their own unique problem. I was just pointing out other interesting solutions to population issues. Your jimmies get rustled way to easily. But keep insulting me though, keep the thread interesting.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was just remarking that what you described was also similar to how Star Citizen is solving their own unique problem. I was just pointing out other interesting solutions to population issues. Your jimmies get rustled way to easily. But keep insulting me though, keep the thread interesting.
heheh... We Know DRAMA

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I guess for me the idea was an obvious one. I get what you're saying.

I think this is a tough one in regards to land... I'm thinking they would consider land deeds similar to Darkfall? With a limited amount. Obtainable IN game drops/cash shop purchase. You can build whatever on that piece of land as long as you have the proper resources.
If I were a betting man they are doing mostly what UO and SWG did. Build anywhere within small restrictions. Buildings are made via tile pieces. You can make them shops or whatever that are run by NPCs.

Pie in the sky is more of an amazing editor where you can click and drag your mouse over a path like making roads in Sim City. Then you build walls there and place flooring and stairs and shit. Mats are collected with mini games and farmville games, fuck node farming. Or maybe you buy a quarry or someshit.

I doubt it'll be instanced at all because EQ2 and Rift do that so it's hardly new or exciting. I don't put anything passed Smed though, he may be getting excited for all the wrong reasons.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I am shocked at the last few pages of this thread. You guys are talking about housing deeds and a endless sandbox world a la Minecraft while retaining the elements we love about MMO's? The amount of conjecture going on here for a company that has pretty much made/bought shit ever since the original EverQuest is amazing. I honestly hope that the game is good, and I am just as interested as the rest of you, but I would try to keep things in perspective.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I were a betting man they are doing mostly what UO and SWG did. Build anywhere within small restrictions. Buildings are made via tile pieces. You can make them shops or whatever that are run by NPCs.

Pie in the sky is more of an amazing editor where you can click and drag your mouse over a path like making roads in Sim City. Then you build walls there and place flooring and stairs and shit. Mats are collected with mini games and farmville games, fuck node farming. Or maybe you buy a quarry or someshit.

I doubt it'll be instanced at all because EQ2 and Rift do that so it's hardly new or exciting. I don't put anything passed Smed though, he may be getting excited for all the wrong reasons.
Pretty much edited as you wrote this.. that's what I'm thinking too. I think it would be interesting to have land deeds for cities and open country areas. SO the city would obviously be unique on every street because you're neighbor will have a different design than you. Or the whole block could team up and make it uniform.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For a AAA MMO that they would try to release, we couldnt have a MineCraft type of freedom. Someone said it best on FoH forums, "If the player was allowed to modify the landscape ala MC, then upon logging in all we would see is Dicks. Dicks for miles, and miles, and miles." Which warrants some thought. The majority of the player base would undoubtedly stick to a more imaginative scheme, but that 1% would ultimately ruin it for everyone else. If they are going the MC route, then they must have found/devised a way to deal with this and that would be interesting to read about.

Pretty much edited as you wrote this.. that's what I'm thinking too. I think it would be interesting to have land deeds for cities and open country areas. SO the city would obviously be unique on every street because you're neighbor will have a different design than you. Or the whole block could team up and make it uniform.
Which sounds pretty close to what Horizons did. From a crafting/town building perspective, the game was pretty awesome. Its really to bad the rest of the game was garbage.

Your jimmies get rustled way to easily.
Truth.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am shocked at the last few pages of this thread. You guys are talking about housing deeds and a endless sandbox world a la Minecraft while retaining the elements we love about MMO's? The amount of conjecture going on here for a company that has pretty much made/bought shit ever since the original EverQuest is amazing. I honestly hope that the game is good, and I am just as interested as the rest of you, but I would try to keep things in perspective.
The things we are talking about make very little difference in regards to the actual world. We are more talking about non adventure stuff. I think they can co-exist and add to the world. This stuff is more of the tradeskill/trade aspect of the game. At least things that could possibly enhance the areas of a game. I'm still all for a lot of the stuff that made EQ fun back in the day!

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Almost every EQ thread devolves into armchair circlejerks. I don't think half this shit will actually be in the game. This conversation is just wishful thinking for the most part until anything real comes out.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For a AAA MMO that they would try to release, we couldnt have a MineCraft type of freedom. Someone said it best on FoH forums, "If the player was allowed to modify the landscape ala MC, then upon logging in all we would see is Dicks. Dicks for miles, and miles, and miles." Which warrants some thought. The majority of the player base would undoubtedly stick to a more imaginative scheme, but that 1% would ultimately ruin it for everyone else. If they are going the MC route, then they must have found/devised a way to deal with this and that would be interesting to read about.

Which sounds pretty close to what Horizons did. From a crafting/town building perspective, the game was pretty awesome. Its really to bad the rest of the game was garbage.

Truth.
Well obviously restrictions would apply. All mmo's have a number of restrictions in place to keep the 1 percent from ruining it for the rest. That's just good business. The tools AND the restrictions are what is being discussed. Nobody said it would be exactly like Minecraft. Minecraft is just the only example of world building sandboxes to reference atm.

Personally, I don't see EQN doing anything that revolutionary with their world building tools, just more of what we have already. Which isn't a bad thing. Non-instanced housing, and guild halls that are built by crafters plus some new features. The new features are probably the ability to create other structures that are necessary to build a settlement / city of some sort in the wilds. Clearing forests, digging mines, planting farms for food, etc before building the settlement is all easily doable within a mmo without creating Minecraft levels of freedom. And wouldn't require too much new tech from the programmers.

How that will be fun for adventurers who just want to hack and slash when they play is another thing.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any chance of non instance'd old school fights where you actually have to PVP the other guilds for a chance to down the mob that week?
Probably not. Devs hate fun sometimes. But it would be great to have that in some form, somewhere in the game world.

Vonador_sl

shitlord

I doubt it'll be instanced at all because EQ2 and Rift do that so it's hardly new or exciting.I don't put anything passed Smed though, he may be getting excited for all the wrong reasons.
Yup. I'll laugh pretty hard if his idea of a sandbox involves that incomprehensibly shitty dungeon-maker from EQ2, not to mention instanced housing design. That being said, he made a point of saying (multiple times, in fact) that EQN is a departure from all that.

I also totally agree that the material collection better fucking not be one person and a bunch of mining nodes. That's where I think it'd be cool if a player (a rich player) could set up a 'quest' that involved other players giving him a certain amount of a material (for the rich player to build his house, or his farm, or his whatever-the-fuck) in exchange for some platinum and, depending upon the difficulty of the area where the attained materials are from, a bit of experience. That way, the sandbox checklist gets a mark in the good and WoW babies get to keep part of their delightfully banal formula.

Ortega_sl said:
I am shocked at the last few pages of this thread. You guys are talking about housing deeds and a endless sandbox world a la Minecraft while retaining the elements we love about MMO's? The amount of conjecture going on here for a company that has pretty much made/bought shit ever since the original EverQuest is amazing.I honestly hope that the game is good, and I am just as interested as the rest of you, but I would try to keep things in perspective.
Well, since conjecture's all we have, conjecture it shall be! Weallhope the game is good, and we'reallintrigued at the very least. As for perspective - ehhh, PlanetSide 2 was well-received, this is the third major reboot (and one would imagine, a third significant delay) of SOE's flagship IP; if they fuck it up as badly as they have with some of their more egregious offenses in the past, there's a distinct possibility heads will roll as a result. Which is to say, I don't really have any reason to trust Smedley, but I trust that he actually believes he's got something special on his hands here.

Lammy_sl

shitlord
A lot of you are going to be left with some epically painful blue balls when this game gets released.

If I were a game designer... hmmm... would I target an audience of 500k Tops, or would I go for the 10,000,000 box copies and call it a day?

Vonador_sl

shitlord
...or would I go for the 10,000,000 box copies and call it a day?
Since the game's almost certainly going to be in the model of PlanetSide 2, you're wrong as a statement of fact. 'Box copies' mean nothing to companies who let their clients freely download their software.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lot of you are going to be left with some epically painful blue balls when this game gets released.

If I were a game designer... hmmm... would I target an audience of 500k Tops, or would I go for the 10,000,000 box copies and call it a day?
The 10,000,000 route hasn't been working too well

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you were a game designer you'd want to make a game that you actually enjoyed and were proud of. If you were a shit-bag executive, you'd want box sales. Luckily you're neither.