EQ Never

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
Early days of EQ, Norrath and Kunark expansion, content was designed to be "consumed" in 1st person view only. I didn't know anyone that played 3rd person view (it was possible but horrendously implemented).

So if you create your game to "consumed" in 3rd person view, everything is expanded compared to 1st person view, because narrow passages and "in your face" events only happen 1st person view.
That one also gives the most direct immersion (sorry for the use of the word) in the game and whatever is going on.

3rd person view is nice if you like to have an overview of your surroundings or if you're into PVP. It's more strategical. But you're definitely less attached to your character that way.

Depends on how you want to play in the end. But there's no MMO that can be viewed from 1st person and 3rd person and delivery the same quality in content and perception.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I hate the first person view because it doesn't show you all you would see if you were truly looking thru your own eyes. So it's not immersive to me. If in a raid I constantly have to pan down to see if I'm standing in something, that's kinda retarded.

I have peripheral vision in real life. My character doesn't unless I have a 3 monitor setup. In which case that's an unfair advantage over those with 1 monitor right? I just feel if we want true tactical combat, 3rd person is better in that regards.

Cthon_sl

shitlord
The only way you could build a game with a first-person only view, would be to allow people to use a three monitor setup. That way you'll basically have 180 degree FOV. How badass would that be? Those people playing FPS change their FOV all the time. If you don't, then you're probably playing on a console.

Three monitors. Wrap that shit around me. That would be immersive. Hell, make one of them a touch screen and build the software to allow for touch use. DO IT.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Grim said vision lol
Did I hear "The Vision"?

rrr_img_12220.jpg

rrr_img_12220.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's what happens when people talk about things in generalities and in how things should "feel" vs. talking about how you can get those end results in terms of actual game mechanics.
What fun is that?! But what exactly are you referring to?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I actually get the same impression Grim gets from some of your posts Drae. Just because a design idea is old doesn't mean it has no place in future games. But tbh I don't really care about 1st or 3rd person views. Lol
I was actually giving Grim1 a nod when I read that post about WoW bias. Now some of points on the last few pages arent the greatest, but Draegan you come across as saying you want something different but argue for the status quo in most replies because "different doesnt work and here's why".

I'll state it. Imo, 1st person has no place in a MMO. Other genres yes.

If people want, tell the developer to make the RP server 1st person only. That way your "immersion" isn't ruined.
First person has no place in an MMO, is that really what you meant to say? The most recent MMO release I played is PS2, first person fits it just fine. MMO isnt even a genre actually, did you mean RPG? Like say, Skyrim? Or maybe MMORPG? If you meant that you only have a point because WoW didnt use first person except as a gimmick to their standard 3rd person view and everyone in the last decade just copied it.

Now I agree that for some MMORPG designs (or other genres of MMO for that matter) first person is probably the wrong choice and 3rd person or top down view is better. But for some MMORPG designs it is the only choice that makes sense, namely any that have the goal to immerse their players in the world.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The only way you could build a game with a first-person only view, would be to allow people to use a three monitor setup. That way you'll basically have 180 degree FOV. How badass would that be? Those people playing FPS change their FOV all the time. If you don't, then you're probably playing on a console.

Three monitors. Wrap that shit around me. That would be immersive. Hell, make one of them a touch screen and build the software to allow for touch use. DO IT.
I use a 3 monitor setup in a 5760x1080 resolution. It's pretty awesome. You need some FOV tweaks to see below you though. I haven't experimented with it much though.

90Proof_sl

shitlord
I want see a game that transitions as you progress through it, the same way autobody shops change the blend of clear coat and paint as you follow the lines of a repaired fender. You would start as a traditional EverQuest Diku style game; complete with Zork quest text interaction, death penalty, and a maximum of two open raid targets. The midgame would pay homage to EverQuest 2 and Legends of Norrath. The final ongoing maintenance phase would fully immerse you into EQN.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I want see a game that transitions as you progress through it, the same way autobody shops change the blend of clear coat and paint as you follow the lines of a repaired fender. You would start as a traditional EverQuest Diku style game; complete with Zork quest text interaction, death penalty, and a maximum of two open raid targets. The midgame would pay homage to EverQuest 2 and Legends of Norrath. The final ongoing maintenance phase would fully immerse you into EQN.
what?!

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ignoring everything else wrong with your post... How would an MMO pay homage to a shitty card game, exactly?

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll state it. Imo, 1st person has no place in a MMO. Other genres yes.

If people want, tell the developer to make the RP server 1st person only. That way your "immersion" isn't ruined.
and you base that on?
rolleyes.png

Hey, I can do this too.. see how easy it is... check it out.

3rd Person View has no place in a MMO. Other genres yes.
tongue.png

rolleyes.png

tongue.png

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you think 1st person view only merit is "immersion" then you're wrong.

Limitations adds to tactics and challenge. 3rd Person View gives you too much information that your character shouldn't have unless they have a high tech radar installed.

Analogy: Would MTG, for instance, be as fun if your opponent's cards are always visible to you? It CAN be fun but playing MTG with your opponent's cards hidden from you gives a different kind of experience and challenge.

Dungeon Crawling in 1st person gives us an option to delve in narrow places which can promote a different tactical approach to gaming (think Space Hulk) you cannot do that in 3rd Person View... You cannot do it!! unless the game turns into some sort of isometric view where roof just go poof.

I'm sick of 3rd person view and there are plenty of games out there. Don't you think it's fair just to give us one MMORPG in 1st person view? Please? (I'm talking to Drae and Co)... :p

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pass the peace pipe chief!

Cheers!

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Meh. Four posts in a row. U mad brosiphine.

Hated first person as a tank in EQ, but get why it should be in there. Had to have your head on a swivel to look for/pick up adds. Really added to the challenge.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
and you base that on?
rolleyes.png

Hey, I can do this too.. see how easy it is... check it out.

3rd Person View has no place in a MMO. Other genres yes.
tongue.png
Hey tard, before you go all zealot with your nostalgia, I stated "IMO" which means: In My Opinion. If you get all butthurt over that, then I am sorry.

rolleyes.png

tongue.png

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hey tard, before you go all zealot with your nostalgia, I stated "IMO" which means: In My Opinion. If you get all butthurt over that, then I am sorry.
I am literally rolling on the floor laughing at the moment. I didn't expect I'd affect your mood this much but I do find your reply kind of cute and amusing. :p

You mad bra?