EQ Never

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Having played UO, EQ, SWG, Lineage 2, WoW, FFXIV... There's definitely something about classic EQ that keeps bringing me back and I don't think it's nostalgia. I have tons of nostalgia for other games like FF7 but going back and playing is hard. I haven't returned to any MMO other than EQ after quitting.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I think I have lost track, but not including all the changes and reboots, did they begin eq3 in 2010? (Or was it even sooner?)

And, there have been 3 "restarts" of the project since beginning?

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
They mention completing a previous prototype (with Maya modeled Freeport) in Nov 2011, but likely not the first iteration before voxels were introduced.

That said, it sounds like they had a pretty small prototyping team that didn't expand into production mode until their voxel engine was 5 months along.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Second one close to the source to confirm what was basically known with the Linkedin updates. Stick a fork on whatever EQN is at this point. Maybe the fifth retry is the one that works?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
they have a studio in Austin, correct? If so, I guess they are working on another unknown project..

Fedor

<Banned>
sJlIprC.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Second one close to the source to confirm what was basically known with the Linkedin updates. Stick a fork on whatever EQN is at this point. Maybe the fifth retry is the one that works?
Looking at it from another angle...Maybe the heavy lifting is actually done on EQN and that's why they can afford to let him move on to something else. I'm putting a huge smile on this!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
At this point, I am assuming each and every Friday around 2-3pm there will be bad news.

(Usually the time when companies lay off in my experience)

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only hope for EQ Next is if this childish inept stupid company Daybreak manages to sale it to someone else.

Yes literally Brad or Smed would be better than the current band of incompetents running daybreak.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i would honestly be ecstatic if brad and smed got the rights to EQ Next

it could likely be a clusterfuck, but EQ was itself kind of a clusterfuck back in the day. we just didn't know better at the time. i think EQ Next with brad and smed would be a beautiful clusterfuck.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Have you guys notice DBG "removing" the EQNext label from Landmark? Now it is just Landmark everywhere without mentioning EQN at all.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They made that change well before SOE was sold. Too many people were taking the name "EQN Landmark" to mean that Landmark was literally the beta for EQN, and shit like that, so they dropped the "EQN" to make it clear that they were actually two separate games.

Speaking of Landmark, there are actually faint signs of life coming from the game. They're planning an update in March that's surprisingly substantial, considering the nothing that's come out of the dev team for the last half-year or so. They're revamping the building UI, and adding some new functionality to it. It's not exactly going to turn it around for Landmark, but it's nice to see something happening.

Links talking about some of the features:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/lan...3/#post-584239

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/lan...ld-mode.56085/