EQ Never

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stepping stone, fucking moron....EQN died from the fall by tripping over than stepping stone. Of all the days to forget my damn phone, no responding to that for me until tonight; stupid work blocking twitter!
I don't know how twitter works, do they actually see all the responses or is that just a 5 digit notification log they ignore?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I don't know how twitter works, do they actually see all the responses or is that just a 5 digit notification log they ignore?
Depend on what client you use, I think. On standard clients, the main timeline has all messages that include your handle unless that specific person is on ignore.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Trying to appease people still raging daily over a 17 year old game.
You must be playing a different EQ than the rest of us. They have done nothing but drive a good portion of the remaining people off by doing the exact opposite of trying to "appease people......". It's been nothing but shitty uncompleted expansions with almost no content followed by a shit ton of nerfs. You're right, they are trying to appease the people still playing their shitty product for 17 years.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Ponytail has always been slightly delusional in regards to his own work. I can't think of one thing he has spearhead that has work especially long term. He can claim to be a gamer for gamers or whatever but he's not. He's constantly working a gimmick. EQEmote, LM, whatever. It's always this idea that he blows way out of proportion and people try it simply because it is tied to a name they love but it does nothing more than frustrate the playerbase further. He destroyed EQ2 and it's a shame. It honestly made great strides for awhile and there's a lot of people that will never know that EQ2 actually has a game worth playing and in my opinion was one of the best MMO's out during it's best days. Unfortunately it was bookend with disaster. It launched miserably and it's riding off in to the sunset miserably. Now his name is tied to EQNext/LM and regardless of how much he was apart of it's failure, he seemed to constantly push them in a direction that would never succeed and had very little to do with the core game.

It's been awhile since I ranted on him so please excuse my disgust.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ponytail has always been slightly delusional in regards to his own work. I can't think of one thing he has spearhead that has work especially long term. He can claim to be a gamer for gamers or whatever but he's not. He's constantly working a gimmick. EQEmote, LM, whatever. It's always this idea that he blows way out of proportion and people try it simply because it is tied to a name they love but it does nothing more than frustrate the playerbase further. He destroyed EQ2 and it's a shame. It honestly made great strides for awhile and there's a lot of people that will never know that EQ2 actually has a game worth playing and in my opinion was one of the best MMO's out during it's best days. Unfortunately it was bookend with disaster. It launched miserably and it's riding off in to the sunset miserably. Now his name is tied to EQNext/LM and regardless of how much he was apart of it's failure, he seemed to constantly push them in a direction that would never succeed and had very little to do with the core game.

It's been awhile since I ranted on him so please excuse my disgust.
I quit EQ2 during Kunark, what happened to make it so bad in the following years?
I have fond memories of that game, even with its various problems and bloated hotbars, it was fun and the world was beatifully crafted.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I quit EQ2 during Kunark, what happened to make it so bad in the following years?
I have fond memories of that game, even with its various problems and bloated hotbars, it was fun and the world was beatifully crafted.
I think the biggest thing was people was wanting the hotbars addressed in addition to thinking a little bit more out of the box due to the repetitive formula of building X currency by running dungeon A, B, and C 1000 times to buy armor and weapons. Essentially ponytail kept ignoring and/or made excuses to the outcries of the playerbase when all he wanted to do was focus on gimmicks. Under his leadership, nothing was ever addressed and everything that was released did nothing for the QoL of the game.

I could go on but the sad thing Hartsman and his team really made good strides to bring some substance to the game then Ponytail let the game go in the crapper and wanted to play with stupid, unrelated features.

I think the biggest thing was people was wanting the hotbars addressed in addition to thinking a little bit more out of the box due to the repetitive formula of building X currency by running dungeon A, B, and C 1000 times to buy armor and weapons. Essentially ponytail kept ignoring and/or made excuses to the outcries of the playerbase when all he wanted to do was focus on gimmicks. Under his leadership, nothing was ever addressed and everything that was released did nothing for the QoL of the game.

I could go on but the sad thing Hartsman and his team really made good strides to bring some substance to the game then Ponytail let the game go in the crapper and wanted to play with stupid, unrelated features.
For me, Kunark was the pinnacle of EQ2. It went down hill after that.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It was pretty amusing at launch, when buff-spells produced more aggro than taunts.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
because ponytail was concerned with money. This was a money game to him and he knew the relevant points to enhance to get more money from investors. This is what he probably did with the other games that he worked with previously and why he was brought on to milk eq/eq2 for money. I think about how he made his game free to play, which increased the amount of station users considerable, which ponyfail probably used as a point that the station IPs were improving because of his efforts. There was alot of people playing on extended server for free because of this ( and to be honest most free to play people usually sucked bad at this game) so there was probably a decent profit from the cash shop because of the subscriber influx, but obviously it didnt end up being as consistent. This happens right at the time during velious (which was the last time that the game was challenging really, even though it was a broken challenge) was slowly being finished, so alot of people bought velious thinking they would get what velious entailed in eq1. So he sold us the feature expansion, that was filled with bullshit to spend more bullshit on, another expansion with loot pinatas and very little AI development, and the other half of velious was sold to us ( even though we already payed for velious). So basically ponyfail bullshitted both sides to get as much money as possible in a short period from both customers and investors from a near dead game. He took a lackluster creative team that couldnt finish ideas, and with them turned velious into a 100$ per person purchase. He claims that he doubled original numbers and tripled revenue for each game, but he fails to mention that his method of growth was a scam, and had no longevity. He took a consistent group of subscribers, and bastardized a good portion of them to the point where they left and all that remained was a short term satisfied players accustomed to free to play that didnt have to purchase or invest in the game to enjoy it anymore.

So for the company and the people at the top, ponytail took something subpar and milked it for more money which to them is considered a success. Now DBG is doing it. Maybe south korea or china is next?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
because ponytail was concerned with money. This was a money game to him and he knew the relevant points to enhance to get more money from investors. This is what he probably did with the other games that he worked with previously and why he was brought on to milk eq/eq2 for money. I think about how he made his game free to play, which increased the amount of station users considerable, which ponyfail probably used as a point that the station IPs were improving because of his efforts. There was alot of people playing on extended server for free because of this ( and to be honest most free to play people usually sucked bad at this game) so there was probably a decent profit from the cash shop because of the subscriber influx, but obviously it didnt end up being as consistent. This happens right at the time during velious (which was the last time that the game was challenging really, even though it was a broken challenge) was slowly being finished, so alot of people bought velious thinking they would get what velious entailed in eq1. So he sold us the feature expansion, that was filled with bullshit to spend more bullshit on, another expansion with loot pinatas and very little AI development, and the other half of velious was sold to us ( even though we already payed for velious). So basically ponyfail bullshitted both sides to get as much money as possible in a short period from both customers and investors from a near dead game. He took a lackluster creative team that couldnt finish ideas, and with them turned velious into a 100$ per person purchase. He claims that he doubled original numbers and tripled revenue for each game, but he fails to mention that his method of growth was a scam, and had no longevity. He took a consistent group of subscribers, and bastardized a good portion of them to the point where they left and all that remained was a short term satisfied players accustomed to free to play that didnt have to purchase or invest in the game to enjoy it anymore.

So for the company and the people at the top, ponytail took something subpar and milked it for more money which to them is considered a success. Now DBG is doing it. Maybe south korea or china is next?

I do not recall any of the things mentioned to his credit being his ideas or a direct result of his leadership, but I may be wrong. What I do remember is SoEmote or whatever, Landmark, and EQNext. I have a hard time believing that he had anything to do with double or tripling anything or doing anything I would consider ingenious. Regardless, even if he did, his claim to fame is consistently promoting ideas that were completely out of touch and not beneficial to EQ or it's brand and failing to deliver as a result of refusing to listen to those within SoE/DBG.

Also, FTP was a decision of the genre and of that time not a revelation or a creation of his own.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I do not recall any of the things mentioned to his credit being his ideas or a direct result of his leadership, but I may be wrong. What I do remember is SoEmote or whatever, Landmark, and EQNext. I have a hard time believing that he had anything to do with double or tripling anything or doing anything I would consider ingenious. Regardless, even if he did, his claim to fame is consistently promoting ideas that were completely out of touch and not beneficial to EQ or it's brand and failing to deliver as a result of refusing to listen to those within SoE/DBG.

Also, FTP was a decision of the genre and of that time not a revelation or a creation of his own.

July 14 2016 dude.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users