EQ Never

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not a fan of server transfers either, it pretty much falls into the instancing problem of it kills the community.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
If leveling is slowed way down which I hope it is, what do you expect players that put tons of time in on their character on a dead server to do? Reroll??

Siliconemelons

I feel that another thing that, slow leveling, no server xfer etc does it that it keeps people normal.

In EQ there where server wide assholes and everyone knew it... it helps self regulate things when you cant just be a giant douche to everyone, suck at playing, loot whore etc and then just jump ship- not like in WoW anyone knows anyone anymore... I suppose in the end, truly it is the creation and fostering of a true community that makes MMOs imo... if they can do that, then it will be awesome.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I feel that another thing that, slow leveling, no server xfer etc does it that it keeps people normal.

In EQ there where server wide assholes and everyone knew it... it helps self regulate things when you cant just be a giant douche to everyone, suck at playing, loot whore etc and then just jump ship- not like in WoW anyone knows anyone anymore... I suppose in the end, truly it is the creation and fostering of a true community that makes MMOs imo... if they can do that, then it will be awesome.
But again, when your server is a ghost town and you've invested all that time in your character, what's your solution?

Siliconemelons

But again, when your server is a ghost town and you've invested all that time in your character, what's your solution?
Lets ask TOR?

Obviously as things change there will need to be solutions- but they should be server merges that are handled by the devs imo, or yes a one time option to move everyone from X ghost server to A B C D or E servers. I doubt anyone is saying it should NEVER HAPPEN- but it should not be easy, or at the whim and control of the user at any time they please once the server populace realizes that he is an asshole etc.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My solution is err on the side of too few servers instead of masturbating to your box sales and week 1 queues and getting ahead of your longevity. Maybe use virtual servers that can be "scaled" so you avoid the marketing negativity. Or I did like ToR's instance idea. It just needs refinement. There are clever solutions. Devs just need to plan for the worst also. EQ Next will be no different IMO. I seriously doubt it meets the semi hardcores wishes not meets the EQ Classic harpers wishes.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
EQ2 handled that pretty good. Dungeons broke off and created a 2nd instance after like 50-100 folks were in the zone. That seemed to help.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
EQ2 handled that pretty good. Dungeons broke off and created a 2nd instance after like 50-100 folks were in the zone. That seemed to help.
EQ2 also did instancing pretty damn well too. In the early days it was mostly just used for small zones inside dungeons / end bosses of dungeons. Very cool solution.

Siliconemelons

How EQ2 did instancing at the beginning was great I do agree - it only gave you more instances once the primary instance got "too full" so it was not just like an automatic free zone for whatever group- you still had that dynamic and you could go into either instances you wanted upon zoneing.

Shoeby_sl

shitlord
Why does your character have to be tied to a specific server?
To assist the community in assigning a reputation to you. If you can act like a fucktard and then just transfer to a new server every week, you can likely continue to enjoy the anonymity of the internet with 0 repercussion. If you're building a community type atmosphere, these people should be known. Every village has its idiot.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How EQ2 did instancing at the beginning was great I do agree - it only gave you more instances once the primary instance got "too full" so it was not just like an automatic free zone for whatever group- you still had that dynamic and you could go into either instances you wanted upon zoneing.
Another idea which was used in AO back in like 2002.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
. It works for EVE without instancing because their planetary systems are *really* vast, but I dont see it working with a land-based game.
Well it's supposed to be the , "largest sandbox ever" and etc. So we'll see. I'm well aware there will be some instancing in EQN - I don't have a problem if it is used for an initial newbie intro area, class quests or other limited usage. What I don't want - is dungeon instances a la WoW & etc. You need non-instanced content both for the social aspect of dungeoneering in a public dungeon as well as the adrenline rush of racing for competitive PvE spawns.

TL;DR If EQNext has dungeon instancing it is just another WoW clone whatever Smed might call it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
If a game sets out to avoid instancing everything (concession for specific stuff because it might just make sense), then the EQ2 method (or GW2 overflow server style, more flexible but pools players from different servers) would work well.

What I also liked was how the personal story instances were done in GW2. You were put into an instanced area of the world where your story parts took place. They can cut out any shape or size and use that for the instance. Vastly superior to TOR's blocking story portals since player not on the mission can still partake in the normal content for that area in GW2, while in TOR there was no way to access that crypt or cave or whatever without being the right class and story line.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If a game sets out to avoid instancing everything (concession for specific stuff because it might just make sense), then the EQ2 method (or GW2 overflow server style, more flexible but pools players from different servers) would work well.

What I also liked was how the personal story instances were done in GW2. You were put into an instanced area of the world where your story parts took place. They can cut out any shape or size and use that for the instance. Vastly superior to TOR's blocking story portals since player not on the mission can still partake in the normal content for that area in GW2, while in TOR there was no way to access that crypt or cave or whatever without being the right class and story line.
I can deal with some instancing/summoning/etc for the odd boss as long as the majority of bosses/raids/dungeons are non-instanced.

/derail
Also you're name drives me nuts, I always read it as Mr. Creedy (V for Vendetta).

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
All those "features" you guys loved so much about EQ were fucking terrible abd no company is going to waste money making a game targeted only at the P99 player base

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All those "features" you guys loved so much about EQ were fucking terrible abd no company is going to waste money making a game targeted only at the P99 player base
So with all these "tewwible features" why was EQ the top dog of MMORPGs for i dunno 6 years and people didnt drove off in pack on the arrival of DAoC or AC or some other competitor? It took them WoWs praise and terrible abominations like OoW to sail the masses to new shores.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So with all these "tewwible features" why was EQ the top dog of MMORPGs for i dunno 6 years and people didnt drove off in pack on the arrival of DAoC or AC or some other competitor? It took them WoWs praise and terrible abominations like OoW to sail the masses to new shores.
Here comes the "it was the only pve option" argument again. Inbred puppies chase their tails less than we do.