EQ Never

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
I'm all in favor of typing. No need for voice communication in a game the scale of EQ.
Day Z has a area comm, but you're on a huge map with 50 people...
Not EC tunnel with 500 people.

Unless it's restricted to officer guild channel / raid channel --> for very fast coordination of events
Problem then still is that spoken words don't last, you end up repeating yourself over and over, vs written text that stays in your log.
And not everyone is well spoken either.

Text chat all the way.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I don't really like using casual voice chat for shit that doesn't require it, but hearing EC tunnel circa 2000 would probably have been the funniest thing to ever happen in the history of ever.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Maybe he is just RPing as a 12 year old whiny kid!?! Who is not the RPer now!

Does RP with voice chat start to become LARPing?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
See the problem here is that qwerty is not a gamer, he's a digital LARPer. There's a difference because he doesn't play video games to play games, he plays them to live a fantasy life. Therefore any discussion about game mechanics or design theory is going to end by just talking passed each other.

See the problem here is that qwerty is not a gamer, he's a digital LARPer. There's a difference because he doesn't play video games to play games, he plays them to live a fantasy life. Therefore any discussion about game mechanics or design theory is going to end by just talking passed each other.
You couldn't be more wrong, as usual. I have several gamey games installed right now, including: Sanctum, Heroes of Newerth, Arma3 Beta, Yuri's Revenge, Crash Time 5, etc..etc.. None of those are worlds at all, they are all games, because I am a gamer... But that's why EQ was so special, because it was one in a million - a real immersive world amongst millions of games. And all you WoW kiddies want to turn it in to another boring action game to suit your crappy attention spans and need for flashing colors.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You fuckers really need to come up with new insults. The leader of neckbeard nation Dumar has played WoW more recently then the most of us.

Carl_sl

shitlord
You couldn't be more wrong, as usual. I have several gamey games installed right now, including: Sanctum, Heroes of Newerth, Arma3 Beta, Yuri's Revenge, Crash Time 5, etc..etc.. None of those are worlds at all, they are all games, because I am a gamer... But that's why EQ was so special, because it was one in a million - a real immersive world amongst millions of games. And all you WoW kiddies want to turn it in to another boring action game to suit your crappy attention spans and need for flashing colors.
Except that literally no one in this thread wants the game to be anything like wow. They all want the best qualities from eq, the difference between them and the others though is that they're pretty damn sure inconveniencing the player base isn't what made eq good and IS what had people leave for the next thing. I feel like we could all agree on the middle ground of a well executed vanguard with more sand box, but the whole lets go back to the dark age of the mmo thing this thread keeps talking about is never gonna come about from a real developer much less soe.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You can't call someone a WOW kiddie and then say action game in the same sentence. Most "WOW kiddies" can't manage to stay out of the fire, which lends me to believe they wouldn't be able to beat Gods of War on easy mode.

Except that literally no one in this thread wants the game to be anything like wow.
Yeah they do. All the bleating about must have voice chat and must get rid of the slow paced combat and dont have time for no corpse runs etc... They already did that, WoW, in 2002 or something, and then you had 11 more years of copycats.

the whole lets go back to the dark age of the mmo thing this thread keeps talking about is never gonna come about from a real developer much less soe.
So what? Just because nobody does what some of us want doesn't mean we should stop wanting it.

You mean God of War. I could beat that shit playing with my feet. And I'm not even a gamer apparently.

p.s. What do you want me to think about? The merits of talking to people like you with microphones. Hmm lets ponder that...

Carl_sl

shitlord
I think if we could get developers to embrace the concept of "hunting", as in group centric gameplay with camps and dangerous zones, the way they do some of these other stupid buzz words, they might come up with something we can enjoy, however they'll likely never get a big player base if the game halts a players progress because its a slow time of day and a group can't be formed. there has to be some kind of middle ground where grouping is important but I can still get a short period of game time in and accomplish something. I need to be able to earn xp when i log on regardless of whether its noon on a work day or friday night. You want a world and you want community, sand box elements with group centric gameplay could accomplish that but that doesn't necessarily mean there can't be a way for fewer players to gain xp or even single players.

I feel like we could all agree on the middle ground of a well executed vanguard with more sand box, but the whole lets go back to the dark age of the mmo thing this thread keeps talking about is never gonna come about from a real developer much less soe.
No. And Vanguard is a terrible example because there are like 4 completely different Vanguards. The one it was supposed to be but wasn't, the one the fans wanted it to be but it wasn't, the one it released as, and the wannabe WoW clone it is today.

I think if we could get developers to embrace the concept of "hunting", as in group centric gameplay with camps and dangerous zones, the way they do some of these other stupid buzz words, they might come up with something we can enjoy, however they'll likely never get a big player base if the game halts a players progress because its a slow time of day and a group can't be formed. there has to be some kind of middle ground where grouping is important but I can still get a short period of game time in and accomplish something. I need to be able to earn xp when i log on regardless of whether its noon on a work day or friday night. You want a world and you want community, sand box elements with group centric gameplay could accomplish that but that doesn't necessarily mean there can't be a way for fewer players to gain xp or even single players.
It's this I MUST FEEL ACCOMPLISHED AFTER 3 MINUTES!! mentality which makes gaming shit today.

Carl_sl

shitlord
It's this I MUST FEEL ACCOMPLISHED AFTER 3 MINUTES!! mentality which makes gaming shit today.
I agree with you. However there needs to be something I can do. If there are times of day where it's pointless for me to log on because I won't get anything done why would I play that game?

Also what's so bad about release vanguard? It had lots of group content, contested dungeons, epic gear quests that were quite involved, factions that mattered (not the main ones), good crafting, a new form of gameplay in diplomacy, Long travel times before the warp crystal things. Player boats, Player houses, guild castles, excellently unique classes. I played to 37 from release simply because I had a good guild group to play with and would have kept going but the content dried up at around that point. The game was fun, you could accomplish things by knowing your class that other players couldnt do. you could save the day by knowing your abilities.

Edit: oh yea and corpse runs which according to this thread make a game sex.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hahaha. Action combat? You mean like what happens if you're fucking fighting with swords and spells against beasts and men that want to fucking kill you? Your slow combat is breaking the immersion of fighting for my life in the world.

Admit it. You're all fucking hypocrites, neckbeardss.