EQ Never

gogojira_sl

shitlord
If the idea is massive appeal for everyone, then the content is going to reach from extremely casual to massively complicated, it'll just apply to different forms of gameplay. I fully expect player built cities where people can spend their days crafting or constructing fancy houses complete with landscaping which will damn sure tap into the casual side.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
First character I made in EQ was a human SK in Qeynos.

"Gamma level" was something rather foreign to me at the time.

I very quickly rerolled a race with nightvision.

Bad "Game" Mechanic; Hilarious, Memorable Experience.
First char was a barbarian. Always had to walk backwards to zone between Everfrost and Halas because it was pitch black in that tunnel and it was the only way I could tell that I was still moving and when I needed to make that turn

Kagan_sl

shitlord
After a couple levels with my dwarf paladin, and losing 2 corpses in GFay because I couldn't see shit... I heard about this class that could actually use a spell to find your corpse, so I promptly rerolled a necro. I still couldn't see shit because I chose an erudite for my race, but fuck me if track corpse wasn't the best spell ever.

Pliny_sl

shitlord
Edit: It would also be cool if items did not have this green,blue,purple quality identifier. Let people figure out for themselves if gear is good or not.
I agree completely. Enough with the hand holding to separate tiers of loot. It all the data ends up on item websites anyway.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If the idea is massive appeal for everyone, then the content is going to reach from extremely casual to massively complicated, it'll just apply to different forms of gameplay. I fully expect player built cities where people can spend their days crafting or constructing fancy houses complete with landscaping which will damn sure tap into the casual side.
Expect to be disappointed

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Expect to be disappointed
About which part? I could have been less wordy and said "housing." Unless you mean the player ran city part, which yeah, I would be disappointed if that's not in to some extent. It's hard to tell if people have actual sources for the comments or are just making random comments. Based on this thread, I should expect this game to be nothing and everything, awesome and totally disappointing, a PS4 launch title but probably not hitting until 2014 or later but also this year.

P.S. Only the crazy people think it's launching this year.

althuna_sl

shitlord
it could do maybe, maybe around christmas. It has been in development a long time and even though they restarted it they already had the engine and all the tools ready. My guildmate in eq has played the alpha of it and says its the best mmo has played. Maybe if beta could start in summer and then 5 months of beta, it could be out by christmas. But I would hope early next year, best to not rush if possible... dont want another vanguard.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
it could do maybe, maybe around christmas. It has been in development a long time and even though they restarted it they already had the engine and all the tools ready. My guildmate in eq has played the alpha of it and says its the best mmo has played. Maybe if beta could start in summer and then 5 months of beta, it could be out by christmas. But I would hope early next year, best to not rush if possible... dont want another vanguard.
Good. We can all rest easy now.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea..new account, 2 post...PM what you know so I can verify troll or not=P

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
That was GW2's problem. Every time I played a class to level 20-30 I felt like I wanted to reroll because I've seen everything and I had another 60-50 levels to go. The issue was the traits were quite powerful and changed how you played your class (for the most part) however there was a very soft curve to them that you could not notice as you leveled. But if you compared a level 20 to a level 60 then to 80 there was a huge difference.

GW2 had too many levels to start the game with and things were very saturated.

I also appreciate what GW2 tried to do with getting rid of the trinity. It had to be tried, and people learned that they really do like have roles to play. Fortunately, that style of play fits what GW2 likes to do which is a lot of solo or open zerg content.
GW2 is interesting, yet lacking in some aspects, for example several of the non-weapon based skills were junk (or too few were good enough), lack of damage for some classes compared to others, survivability for some, condition vs power, etc. the list would get long fast enough.
I think that the game is very well done, has good animations and responsive controls, plus I dig the combat style, few hotkeys, reaction time required to handle various situations, bit of variety through the different weapons and so on and so forth.

There is a lot of difference from level 20 to 50 and again from 50 to 80, I don't find it bland at all in that regard, what I find horribly done is the loot system: I can spend 15 minutes to solo a champion in an epic battle and get rewarded with a sack of nothing or a shitty blue item. I have about 400 levels worth of characters and never ever seen an exotic drop randomly for me (hate magic find gear too while we're at it).

I think the gw2 world is quite beatiful, full of hidden places (unless you like to read the spoilers somewhere), the hearts system is non-intrusive enough and the DE are okay (except their frequency, absurdly stupid at times). Orr also promoted grouping even for general exploring, 2 or 3 people were ideal for most areas around there and large groups for temple events. In the end I think it's a decent game, nothing terrible, yet nothing incredibly good. It can get better, they are changing a few things, bit slowly to be honest, but they are getting there.

A new EQ game is certainly interesting, but I'm not expecting anything special anymore: if the game is fun I'll play it, for how long will depend on many factors, too many to list them all here. I have to give a prop to SoE for having made some of the best dungeons in the MMO history, from EQ to EQ2 I enjoyed a lot of them, both instanced and not instanced, some of the EQ2 ones were just that awesome (even incomplete).
All I ask is a extremely cool bard and necromancer classes, then I'll be happy for a long while.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What made the Sojourn Necro so great?

I'm just hoping they nail the Wizard class. Assuming they do it's what I will be playing. Is it wishful thinking they give us the tools to quad?!

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gw2 world is quite beautiful. For sure. Makes me wonder why I'm still paying for wow

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
First char was a barbarian. Always had to walk backwards to zone between Everfrost and Halas because it was pitch black in that tunnel and it was the only way I could tell that I was still moving and when I needed to make that turn
This made me laugh.

The very first character I made(which was in the first phase of closed beta 0.5) was a Barbarian. I fell into that bear pit in Halas and died within the first 5 minutes. I logged out for the day. Then I rolled a female human monk in Qeynos. After running around outside of Qeynos, my computer kept freezing. It happened over and over and I would have to hard reset. Eventually I just walked away after it froze one time. When I came back I was in Qeynos hills. Apparently the freezing was the next zone loading(I didn't even know there were zones, as it was the first time I left a starting city area). This was before they added any 'now loading' etc to the screen to show you were transitioning. In early beta the screen would just freeze while the next zone loaded.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
So for the economy and trading does anyone think a multi currency system would work? I'm not talking about faction currencies or stupid raid/heroic ones, but by continent or region. Like of a bunch of players are killing mobs looting that one currency and vendoring trash for it, it will lose value agaisnt another. You could track this and adjust the transfer rate at certain npc banks.

May be a way too exploitable system though.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never seen a good necro class since my mud days. Sojourn necros were the shit.
I could make a good one merging the skills from a dozen different games, probably
biggrin.png

D2 necros were quite fun, yes, but not the same type of game I had in mind.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i played a wizard in original EQ, and i loved it. i also loved playing a blood mage in VG. for some reason, i usually gravitate towards caster classes, will probably do the same for EQN, just hoping the classes are as varied as they were in original EQ.