EQ Never

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I imagine this game will have a tool that is more automated. Or it should. I'd only make it server wide a la ToR so you can learn who sucks. It'll be fun. *random pairing* Not this asshole again. Needs a rep tool built in.

It doesn't even need that as long as the creation tool enforces all the important rules. And to the guy who said its the worst idea ever, guess you never played Team Fortress?!

jcr4990_sl

shitlord
I def want penalties in this game as that rewards skill and the social/cooperation aspect of the game. One thing that was an unnecessary time sink was LFG in whichever zone you were in. I never had ridiculous wait times as I was usually the more sought after classes but holy shit seeing a guy yelling 43 Pal LFG for an hour or more before he got a group was brutal to see.
The problem with that is the solution most MMO's have used to remedy that is "Dungeon Finder" type tools which completely destroy any sense of community that exists. I would hate to see EQN have a dungeon finder system similar to WoW's. I'd rather let players put together their own groups. What I'm hoping is that EQN will have LOTS of other shit you can do to keep yourself busy if you can't find a group right away. You could go work on crafting or factions or building or whatever else they have. So you're not just sitting in town somewhere going /ooc LFG 34 Ranger for 3 hours. I think the reason waiting for groups was such a pain in the ass is because there usually wasn't anything else you could really do while you waited. Crafting was pretty blah in EQ1. What else was there? You couldn't sit in EC tunnel and try to sell stuff while LFG cause there wasn't global chat so you couldn't broadcast LFG to the zones with ppl your own level unless you physically went to that zone. In which case all you could do was spam LFG and play /gems til someone eventually sent you a tell. I'm hoping EQN remedies that by giving players a LOT of options with ways to progress your character. So you won't feel pigeonholed into finding a group as the only way to accomplish anything.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I def want penalties in this game as that rewards skill and the social/cooperation aspect of the game. One thing that was an unnecessary time sink was LFG in whichever zone you were in. I never had ridiculous wait times as I was usually the more sought after classes but holy shit seeing a guy yelling 43 Pal LFG for an hour or more before he got a group was brutal to see.
This is the exact reason I stopped playing FFXI before max. It's also the reason games move away from group centric play because you give solo options then those become the most used option because you gain no xp while waiting for a group.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
This is the exact reason I stopped playing FFXI before max. It's also the reason games move away from group centric play because you give solo options then those become the most used option because you gain no xp while waiting for a group.
Its a hard balance, I played vanilla WOW for about 8 months while I was off school and working sporadically until next year for my college course to start and i barely conversed with anyone and never had to group at all from 1-60 which is crap. Maybe the game needs even larger focus on grouping then EQ but less focus on the the formula of (tank/healer/damage dealer/crowed control)

jcr4990_sl

shitlord
Its a hard balance, I played vanilla WOW for about 8 months while I was off school and working sporadically until next year for my college course to start and i barely conversed with anyone and never had to group at all from 1-60 which is crap. Maybe the game needs even larger focus on grouping then EQ but less focus on the the formula of (tank/healer/damage dealer/crowed control)
Except every game that's tried to move away from the holy trinity of classes has sucked. It's a tried and true formula for a reason.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I'd love new ideas but i fear for GW2 like PVE where everyone just does their own thing and as long as everyones own thing is good enough you win. In EQ2 as far as I know (don't full remember) it was a decent compromise because originally there weren't a million quests to do, so grouping was kinda necessary but for whatever reason they put a penalty on grouping like that was a good idea.

Banal_sl

shitlord
I def wantpenaltiesin this game asthat rewards...
hah

To add more substance...the whole problem with the genre (and the holy trinity/class thing) is the formula. Generic monster X stands around waiting to be killed as a exp/loot/gatekeeper pinata. Until the genre develops some activities that require more complex interactions than you hit some buttons while I hit some buttons then generic monster dies, we'll see the same, tired rehashing of decades old mechanics. You can give them a new face, but if they're the foundation of the game, the only thing that changes is the presentation.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Am I the only person the pretty much dungeon grinded all the way up in vanilla the first time? Shit was fun as a mother fucker.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Am I the only person the pretty much dungeon grinded all the way up in vanilla the first time? Shit was fun as a mother fucker.
Coming from UO to WoW(I hated 'levels' at the beginning) I was such a retard I didn't even know I had skill trees I could put points into... All the way to level 42 STV where I started to get repeatedly anal raped. I kinda liked it.

Torok_sl

shitlord
Opening presentation tonight, and reveal tomorrow. I am super excited. I have a chance to go to the Faire, but I really don't want to do the 4 hour drive over to Vegas and drop a good chunk of monies towards room etc. Hopefully all the panels get uploaded fairly quickly throughout the day so we can follow along with whatever isn't livestreamed.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
hah

To add more substance...the whole problem with the genre (and the holy trinity/class thing) is the formula. Generic monster X stands around waiting to be killed as a exp/loot/gatekeeper pinata. Until the genre develops some activities that require more complex interactions than you hit some buttons while I hit some buttons then generic monster dies, we'll see the same, tired rehashing of decades old mechanics. You can give them a new face, but if they're the foundation of the game, the only thing that changes is the presentation.
That's crap. You've basically described almost every computer game in existence with your generic statement - hit some buttons, things die. Even worse you offer no solutions or new ideas. Jesus, I feel some people just like to type complaints out for the sake of it.

DMK_sl

shitlord
hah

Um.... Are you referring to the fact that games need better A.I or do you want MMO's to use Kinect instead of buttons...