EQ Never

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Um.... Are you referring to the fact that games need better A.I or do you want MMO's to use Kinect instead of buttons...
Jesus christ delete that last sentence before you give devs any ideas. And ill edit my quote.

jcr4990_sl

shitlord
hah

To add more substance...the whole problem with the genre (and the holy trinity/class thing) is the formula. Generic monster X stands around waiting to be killed as a exp/loot/gatekeeper pinata. Until the genre develops some activities that require more complex interactions than you hit some buttons while I hit some buttons then generic monster dies, we'll see the same, tired rehashing of decades old mechanics. You can give them a new face, but if they're the foundation of the game, the only thing that changes is the presentation.

Welcome to video games. We push buttons and things die. If you're holding your breath waiting for that to change I think you might be disappointed.

iannis

Musty Nester
lol. I really want them to reveal that you spellweave with kinnect. That would make Brads "the technology wasn't there" quip more than a blatant self-serving excuse to go snort more vicodin.

God please let that be. Let EQN be the Wii Sports of MMO's. Let that be why they haven't been willing to say anything until the absolute last minute.

EQN: Ultimate LARP.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The next step is synaptic input and virtual reality. Ill pretty much be playing Assfuck Emma Watson the Game at that point.

I think they have to have a better and more automated lfg tool though. Will be interesting to see how "servers" are set up before seeing the solution for grouping.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah this line of thinking annoys the shit outta me.. If people don't have as much time to invest into a certain game, then play another game that is more gratifying to play in small amounts. As if everything in life should be catering to their needs..
Agreed. Stop catering to other people's needs and cater to mine

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ho hai Jay! Sup?

rrr_img_38594.jpg

Banal_sl

shitlord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Welcome to video games. We push buttons and things die. If you're holding your breath waiting for that to change I think you might be disappointed.
Well, that may be, but there are a lot of people in this thread that want to see "living, breathing" or "immersive" worlds. To me, there's nothing more immersion breaking than walking into a dungeon or a castle with a few of my friends and seeing a bunch of monsters just standing around waiting to be killed. If the primary means of advancement is the death of an endless stream of generic enemies for arbitrary gains, then the rest is artificial. It doesn't matter if you instance the dungeon or make more qualitatively similar dungeons so people don't get bored. The structure is artificial, because it's just a different system for the same, tired bread crumbs.

If you want to have real player interaction, you need to give players the option to have substantively different roles, including non-combat roles that can be situationally more powerful than combat roles. Then you can actually use the geography of your world as a tool of gameplay, rather than making the difference between a large world and a small world the amount of travel time between the only meaningful activities (combat).

For example, let's say you want to get the tooth of a certain lion so you can give it to some local chieftain. This lion doesn't just sit in the same area waiting to be killed. He paths around a large area. So you need a tracker or a hunter to find him. You can build gameplay mechanics around this activity. However, when you find him, you need to have a plan to kill him, so you can poison him, or fight him, or whatever, and get the tooth. If what's required actually needs something more than "combat power," than you can get outside the box of min-maxing combat power and avoid the holy trinity or underpowered class can't get a group problems.

Example 2: you want to get a certain jewel from the lockbox of a castle, so you can sell it to buy dragonhide for your bowstring, or make a consumable that increases your power level or whatever. However, the castle is full of guards and the doors or locked, so you can develop a plan to break in. You can either bring enough guys and a siege engine (player crafted) to kill everyone in a giant battle, or you can have a thief steal a key, or you can levitate onto a tower at night, or whatever. You can design a game that allows players to use non-combat roles in useful ways that still contribute to the same goals.

That said, as long as combat is the only rewarding experience (and by this I mean you are directly awarded loot, experience, character advancement from combat only), then your ability to interact with other players will only be through the same, played out mechanics. To be honest, I don't think that it requires any breakthrough in enemy AI or world design to make a game like this. Developers just need to borrow from other genres like thief/assassin games, puzzle games, crafting games enough to make a world where direct combat with 1-2 monsters if you're solo and 3-5 if you're in a group isn't the only avenue for meaningful interaction and meaningful advancement.

Look at EVE. The most successful players aren't required to endlessly kill rat after rat to build a badass character, and more than any other game, there are distinct roles for players in the process of empire building.

Torok_sl

shitlord
I wonder what they will be developing for interactions with the Universe outside the game. Things akin to the Armory, Auction house monitoring, etc. I don't have any real feelings about those in particular (though I know some will be very anti auction house apps).

The one thing I want to see though is them to bring back the chat client you could use from outside the game. So I could follow guildchat ect without actually being in the game. I remember using that during the Kunark era or so, but it just dissapeared at some point.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's hilarious to read all of the "I don't have the time to play a game like EQ again" and "my real life is so full of things that video games don't matter to me." Please. If a game is good people will make time. And if you are participating in this particular forum- an extension/reiteration of one of the most game-obsessed communities that existed- you, by definition, give so many more shits about games than 99.99% of the population.

The dude that supposedly has cancer even wants to play the shit out of a good game.
It's no different than women who use the excuse of being "too busy to date". If you care about something enough, you'll find time for it. Somewhere, somehow.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Baseless assumptions are baseless. Unless you're one of the people that saw EQN at E3 I don't think you have any more idea than the rest of us whether it's accurate or not sir :p
Hence the if
smile.png
I do not know, all I know is that EQ had a different mentality in terms of difficulties that faced the player compared to modern mmos. Since then, everything has gone in one direction. I doubt anyone but the makers of EQ will risk going back instead of forwards with more of the same.

Today there is a focus of accessibility, everyone should get to experience everything and the path there should be constantly rewarding without any downsides. Trying to make up for the lack of feelings of accomplishment by making rewards come continiously. Loot has gone rampant in this regard. Go from white, to green, to blue, to ... then tier 1, tier 2, tier 3. The ease of effortless soloing in worlds with quests that ever will guide you to the next appropriate quest hub which makes open worlds seem linear making sure you never lose your way. And if you are lost, for even a second, press the map button and follow the gloriously convenient gps map system with questmarkings that indicate just exactly where that jewel that has been lost for 20 years is.

I just want one game that is not like that. Crossing my fingers for EQ:N being it, but history suggests that I will be disappointed tomorrow. I am very much overhyped at this point.

As to that video and its ties to EQ:N, the only correlation that might be there is that while the video goes to some extremes, the most natural path to some of those "features" would come from cash shops in F2P games. Pay X to increase level or skill attribute Y points. Pay to rent a vendor NPC that sells/buys for you, skripted to trade at max value depending on what you want. More money spent on vendor would equal it to be more efficient, earning you more in game gold. Rich would become richer, and if we want EQ:N to be realistic, that should certainly be in the game
smile.png
EDIT: Should make it clear I do not want it in game. I am the nutter who would prefer a minimal AH functionality if at all. Preferably rather a market where people can sell things by themselves. But in a F2P game, I am expecting more of something like Diablo 3s AH. Hope I am wrong there.