EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
One of the things I was interested about was Itemization, and I have not seen much information on that front. I am coming from early EQ1 with the question: How varied and unique are they going to go with it? Are we going to have tons of clickies and such things as the mana stone, holgresh elder beads, aura buffs, ac and attack clickies. I mean in the beginning they had tons of new cool toys to play with. As time went on, EQ began to go away from some of that which I thought was unfortunate and I am curious what their policy is going to be in that regard.
They had an example of levitation boots in the presentation. Also, items are going to have a much greater effect on your abilities. Their example was a Rogue with the abilities Path of Shadows (an ability to teleport behind the mob) and Backstab. However, Path of Shadows had a high energy cost, and you couldn't Backstab the mob immediately after teleporting behind it. But you could fix this with itemization. Their example was a ring that lowered the cost of teleport-type spells. Additionally they mentioned that attributes would enchance your abilities. Like Intillegence might increase the swing distance of a Warriors 2H-Sword ability.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Still catching up to the days events.

Depends on what you are talking about Draegan. EQNext is NOTHING like GW2 in terms of gameplay. Almost every facet is different. Apples and Oranges when talking about the actual experience of playing.

But if you mean Hype vs Reality then that is just a cheap shot. EQN will be a disapointment compared to the Hype, but every game is.

So you can't just make that comparison to EQN and GW2. Every mmo has a hype machine behind it. Crying about it only makes you a one dimensional poster (sorry UT). Come up with something more original.
I was talking specifically about Rally Calls vs. GW2's "Dynamic events". Derp

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
but they were only rare and the rewards were only special - because it was so hard to get. When u have these easy games that lets everyone have a "nice time" and everyone can win, nothing feels special, and nothing is rare.
exactly. unfortunately, most people don't understand this and they will play EQN for a few weeks and realize that they're bored out of their minds and not understand why.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think you can make things rewarding by making an actual challenge though, not just by feeling invested because you've put in so much required time.

You're right in a way though. They created big time sinks with rare mobs on top of random drops. And people camped and camped and camped trying to hit the jackpot.

I just don't really find that rewarding for the right reasons, though.
I liked camping rare spawns and rare drops but it could get ridiculous at times. There must be a better way to do it that can some how get that sense of accomplishment without forcing people so camp static mobs ad nauseam. And unfortunately, camping mobs doesn't work well anymore because of farmers who monopolize the spots and sell loot rights.

Confirmed. Shit was ramped up for the demo. Release will have things toned down considerably.
I already told everyone the Launch date of Dec 2014 that will be launching 6-12 months to early again for SOE but with landmark out in Dec 2013 they will force out next in Dec 2014 as been telling everyone for the last 1 year, same with told everyone that the character models would be cartoon like wow.

They all said No Smed promised it would be playable this year, they all said No Smed said they aren't going the direction of wow for graphics.

Sighs.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I see how EQN will be like gw2, lol, and minecraft. I thought they said EQN would be like eve too. Does anyone know what part of EQN is from eve?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked camping rare spawns and rare drops but it could get ridiculous at times. There must be a better way to do it that can some how get that sense of accomplishment without forcing people so camp static mobs ad nauseam. And unfortunately, camping mobs doesn't work well anymore because of farmers who monopolize the spots and sell loot rights.
I think rare mobs can certainly have their place. But I don't think they should be the only test.

EverQuest Next developers claim to be putting a big emphasis on 'tactics' to overcome challenges. I'm hoping they can provide a challenging experience, for those who want it. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until we get more information. If it ends up being dog shit, I'll have no problem calling it that.

I see how EQN will be like gw2, lol, and minecraft. I thought they said EQN would be like eve too. Does anyone know what part of EQN is from eve?
I'm hoping we learn more about that when they finally talk about PvP. There should be rulesets that are all about conflict and struggle for control.

althuna_sl

shitlord
exactly. unfortunately, most people don't understand this and they will play EQN for a few weeks and realize that they're bored out of their minds and not understand why.
yyup, its because games should be made by designers who know how to addict people by being cruel to be kind. Not made by designers who just want to give everyone everything they want in the hope they make lots of money, and certainly not made by players.

Nope, not in the slightest. That's what a lot of people refuse to believe, though. Eq wasn't a true "challenge" at all. Test of patience, but not actual difficulty. WoW raiding took more skill than Eq ever did. I understand people are sick of the wow model, but time sinks are not the answer
eh every dungeon in eq was like a wow raid.. you had to harmony shit all over the place while avoiding roamers and if the lull failed, you had to deal with 10 mobs all of a sudden, maybe a giant fucking hand that could one shot people with a spell or whatever.. Dont know what game u played but to everyone I know, eq took quite a lot of skill

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Nope, not in the slightest. That's what a lot of people refuse to believe, though. Eq wasn't a true "challenge" at all. Test of patience, but not actual difficulty. WoW raiding took more skill than Eq ever did. I understand people are sick of the wow model, but time sinks are not the answer
no, the problem with WoW is it's a loot pi?ata. you literally get an upgrade every half hour, so nothing has any meaning or value. you don't feel like you've really accomplished anything because loot is falling out of your ass faster than you can pick it up. what made EQ so great was the ultra rare loot and rare mobs. you played the game for those items, you invested time and made sacrifices to acquire those items, and when you finally got those items, you felt a huge sense of accomplishment. and some of those items were so rare and valuable, that they were sought after even several expansions later.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, that is the part I was hoping for most. Doesn't look like it though. It's too bad, EvE is the only modern mmo out at the moment that has any real sense of danger.

Fuck I thought someone would laugh at my last post lol.
Jesus we are a tough bunch tonight to get a laugh.
I had thought the irony of my post would make a lot laugh.

Mates 911,

We have been shilled that Next Demo was really Project Copernicus investor Demo!

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
eh every dungeon in eq was like a wow raid.. you had to harmony shit all over the place while avoiding roamers and if the lull failed, you had to deal with 10 mobs all of a sudden, maybe a giant fucking hand that could one shot people with a spell or whatever.. Dont know what game u played but to everyone I know, eq took quite a lot of skill
In a group or raid setting, EverQuest was 'hard' for the puller, and maybe the healers.

The game was certainly unforgiving in many aspects, though.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
yyup, its because games should be made by designers who know how to addict people by being cruel to be kind. Not made by designers who just want to give everyone everything they want in the hope they make lots of money, and certainly not made by players.

Couple things. First, harmony only worked outdoors and was not usable in most dungeons. Second, you are only taking about pulling and that was just the first time, the respawns were staggered after that and you just pulled as they spawned. The group wasn't "avoiding roamers" they were sitting in one spot twiddling their thumbs

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I would like some of Brad's stash that he was on when he posted the bit about EQ/VG players would be pleased about this game.

That's got to be a helluva drug.